All-Star What Are The Pros And Cons Of Level 4.2?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 30, 2013
Just wondering what people think the pros and cons are. I think that 4.2 would be a good level for me to start on in the 2014 season.

My daughter is currently on 4.2, and she loves it. Her background: She began cheering three years ago, started on level 1 with nothing, went to level 2 with level 2 skills, she is working on her running tuck and was placed on 4.2.

Pros: It is a great place for athletes who started cheer late in life that are more than likely not going to get past level 2 skills, but would like more of a challenge. It is a great place for MS and HS male athletes to begin, because they generally have the strength to stunt higher levels and tend to get their tumbling quickly. It is a great place for athletes that have higher skills, but are struggling with mental blocks and it removes that pressure while gaining their skills back. It is great for HS cheerleaders that generally stunt at higher levels, but don't always have the tumbling. It is great for gym owners, because they generally lose the athletes just mentioned if they are placed, or can't get beyond, level 2.

Cons: There aren't many 4.2 teams around and you may not have any competition except for larger comps depending which ones you attend. There have been many parents, athletes and coaches that when asking CP what level she's on and she tells them 4.2 that will say, "I don't agree with 4.2" " 4.2, in my opinion, is stupid." (CP is thick skinned, it doesn't bother her, but it does hurt some of the younger kids, especially when they value their opinion). There is a large learning curve between level 2 and level 4 stunting, practices can get very frustrating for the coaches and athletes when a skill isn't mastered as quickly as they hoped.

CP is learning her standing tuck and running tuck at the same time (gymnastic teaches differently than cheer). CP is hoping to get on a level 4 next year, but knows many of them will be placed on level 3 after 4.2. I hope this helps in your decision making, best of luck!

I love the 4.2 division! Its a happy medium for Tween & HS'ers are new to all star and aged out of youth/junior divisions. There are some cheerleaders who have reached their tumbling potential at level 2, 4.2 gives them the opportunity to learn level 4 stunts, its like having the best of both worlds. My CP was on 4.2 for a season (old gym), she learned a lot of great stunting skills. New gym, Level 5 coaches are impressed with her basing skills, which has inspired her to work on advancing her tumbling skills.

4.2 division has grown a lot since its inception, when it first debut a lot of folks felt it would not last.

I personally am a HUGE fan. Kids often throw tumbling they aren't ready to throw because they want to stunt and do harder skills than Level 2. With allowing Level 4 stunting, kids are allowed to progress at a steadier rate for tumbling while still having the opportunity to stunt at a higher level. Tumbling is a big block for kids and making 16-18 year olds stunt at prep level because they can't throw more than a handspring kind of puts a damper on their confidence.

Thanks guys, I'm a latecomer in cheer so to get to level 5 quicker I think being in a level 4.2 team would be the best bet for me. Thanks for your opinions!!!!!

I was on a 4.2 team this past season, though I didn't compete until after the first of the year. I think it's a great idea for the reasons that everyone else has kindly stated, but the sandbagging teams can bring a lot of frustration. For whatever reason, I saw a girl through a standing full in the warmup room one time. Very few kids on my team had anything higher than a tuck and progressed with their skills throughout the season. All in all I think it's a great experience for these athletes though :chestbump:

I was on a level 4 team 2 seasons ago and we went to a big Texas competition and our coach wanted us to move down so we could have a better chance ofwinning competing against the big Texas teams but after that when we went back to level 4 a lot of people lost tumbling or their tumbling wasn't as good since we didn't work on level 4 skills.

I was on a level 4 team 2 seasons ago and we went to a big Texas competition and our coach wanted us to move down so we could have a better chance ofwinning competing against the big Texas teams but after that when we went back to level 4 a lot of people lost tumbling or their tumbling wasn't as good since we didn't work on level 4 skills.

:banghead: :banghead::banghead::mad::mad::mad: (To be clear - not directed at you, but at your coach.)

Last season, I was a crossover on levels 4 and 4.2. I loved being on 4.2 because even though I had most of my level 4 tumbling skills, 4.2 allowed me to practice level 2 specialty tumbling, which gave me so much more confidence in my tumbling. I'm really mental about my tumbling, so practicing my lower level skills made my basics way more consistent and mentally made me feel more comfortable throwing my higher level skills.
Other than that, I love 4.2 because it allows athletes who aren't the most talented tumblers an opportunity to push themselves and become better stunters!

:banghead: :banghead::banghead::mad::mad::mad: (To be clear - not directed at you, but at your coach.)
well on the positive side for us we won and got jackets, It just took us someone time to get used to doing full outs with our level 4 tumbling

Last edited:
I wouldn't consider that a positive honestly. Well, maybe for you, but not the teams that were actual 4.2 teams.
We only actually went against this one other team from Texas because it was 4.2 coed and they had about 7 boys with about a 25 person team and we only had one boy with a 20 person team so they actually had an advantage on us because they could do more coed stunts, and I actually think they moved down to 4.2 just for this competition just like us which is weird because they also had the same uniform as us just different colors and designs:confused:

We only actually went against this one other team from Texas because it was 4.2 coed and they had about 7 boys with about a 25 person team and we only had one boy with a 20 person team so they actually had an advantage on us because they could do more coed stunts, and I actually think they moved down to 4.2 just for this competition just like us which is weird because they also had the same uniform as us just different colors and designs:confused:
Just not a fan of teams dropping levels so they can win. Obviously, you can't do anything about it, but it's always something that gets my blood pressure rising.

I think the whole divisions a mess. Why would you create a uneven balance of skills between athletes. What does it prepare you for? A 3.2 would be a much better fit. But the best solution would be to scratch it period..

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Latest posts

Back