All-Star What Are The Pros And Cons Of Level 4.2?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Just a few questions for someone who has never had one but has a few kids who would do well in it, once you are in 4.2 is that where you stay? Is moving to a level 3 team the next season a downgrade? Upgrade? Do you get complacent with your level and not try to advance your tumbling?
I coach the level, and I would consider moving from this level to 3 an upgrade.

Just wondering what people think the pros and cons are. I think that 4.2 would be a good level for me to start on in the 2014 season.
Until yesterday, I didn't see a huge point in 4.2. And then I watched CEA Sr. Silver. I was in love with their stunts!! Like everyone else has said, it's a great place for those with great stunting, but not as much tumbling experience. I'm excited to see more 4.2 teams this season.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I am on a 4.2 team this year an i absolutely love it ! I have been struggling with tumbling for many years now , (I'm 17) spending 4 days in the gym working on it never getting above a BHS! I was on a Level 3 last year and I always felt that my lack of tumbling was having a huge impact on my team (it really wasn't cause it was a large team and there was only one more person who wasn't tumbling ) Being on a 4.2 makes me feel like I am contributing more to my team because I am a strong stunter, and placed at a more appropriate level for my tumbling ! I think there is no con to this division except for the amount of people who do not like the division, but i am confident in time that will change and it is ok that people do not like it , because everyone is entitled to their opinion! Personally I love 4.2!

Just a few questions for someone who has never had one but has a few kids who would do well in it, once you are in 4.2 is that where you stay? Is moving to a level 3 team the next season a downgrade? Upgrade? Do you get complacent with your level and not try to advance your tumbling?

On cp's team, 3 have recently gotten their back tucks, about 5 have recently gotten their running tuck, 6 are currently working on their running tuck and are close. We have 4 that are working on getting a standing bhs, and the rest working to get their running and multiples. I have found the motivational level to be about the same on all of cp's teams and there will be some that don't care if they move on or not.

The kids know, if they get their running tuck, they will be on level 3 and my daughter looks at level 3 as a lateral move with a different challenge.

I love 4.2. This year is my first year being involved with one, but I've always loved it.

I'm on a level 4 team. But we lose a lot of our majority tumbling when the high school girls have to leave for hs cheer (only for one competition in December). So we're going 4.2 for just this one competition, so we can still compete without them (otherwise no matter what, even if we get 10/10 in each category we'd still get last place b/c of numbers).
It gives the girls who aren't confidant in their level 4 tumbling a chance to actually tumble and hit their skills at a competition and raise their confidence. We 'warm-up' with our level 4 tumbling when we throw the routine, but spend the last hour or so (when we're tired) throwing it with our level 2 tumbling. It really helps us perfect our basic tumbling, and it has actually made me a better level 4 tumblr, because I'm focusing more on keeping technique while I'm tired during 4.2.

A lot of older girls come to allstar who can stunt like nobody's business but won't join because they don't want to be on a level 1/2 team because of tumbling.

I started cheer at age 21 with no gymnastics background whatsoever.
With very very limited tumbling coaches let alone springfloor available, where I live... a differenciation beteween stunting and tumblings skills is actually pretty good. ;) I'd love to do a 6.1 team, come to think of it. ^^

Can i be on that team please? I have a forward roll!
But this is exactly what i would like to see over here.
Instead of doing level 4, 5, and 6 with minimal tumbling differences, i'd rather have a 4.2 (for juniors and seniors).
Most german teams don't have a full size spring floor, tumbling coaches, privates or open gym.
And the athletes start cheerleading with 12, 18 or 25 years and have no tumbling experience.
4.2 would be a great division and i'm sure many senior teams that don't compete now because they don't have level 5 or 6 skills would love it.

Love my 4.2 team!!

I am restricted from tumbling due to head injuries and I love the fact that I can do higher level stunts even though I don't have the caliber tumbling for the team. Yes, this is my gyms option, but not having a handspring on a 4.2 is A LOT less stressful than not having a handspring on 4.

Not to mention (in a normal high school cheerleading world...aka not in Michigan), a 4.2 is about the level of high school cheer. Which then draws in more kids into our sport. For example, a high school cheerleader who is used to switch ups and double downs probably wouldn't enjoy prep level tick tocks with connection required.

I think this level is one of the greatest changes to allstar cheer lately!

Until yesterday, I didn't see a huge point in 4.2. And then I watched CEA Sr. Silver. I was in love with their stunts!! Like everyone else has said, it's a great place for those with great stunting, but not as much tumbling experience. I'm excited to see more 4.2 teams this season.

Just out of curiosity, where did you see a video? My daughter is on this team, which is why I was wondering. Thanks :)

Just out of curiosity, where did you see a video? My daughter is on this team, which is why I was wondering. Thanks :)
There is, however, a video of cea sr silver 4.2 on youtube, dated 11/9/13. I just google searched and it came up. They look great btw!

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Fierce Board mobile app

My daughter loves it!! We just switched gyms this season and she came with mismatched skills. So she's a crossover on 4.2 to learn to fly at a higher level. So hopefully next season she'll be ready to be on a jr or sr 5 team since she'll be 12. She also said 4.2 practices are more fun than her y5 practices.

I think this really depends on the high shool though because the school I graduated from the majority of the girls in varsity would be level 4 athletes and a couple of them level 5 tumbling wise
Love my 4.2 team!!

I am restricted from tumbling due to head injuries and I love the fact that I can do higher level stunts even though I don't have the caliber tumbling for the team. Yes, this is my gyms option, but not having a handspring on a 4.2 is A LOT less stressful than not having a handspring on 4.

Not to mention (in a normal high school cheerleading world...aka not in Michigan), a 4.2 is about the level of high school cheer. Which then draws in more kids into our sport. For example, a high school cheerleader who is used to switch ups and double downs probably wouldn't enjoy prep level tick tocks with connection required.

I think this level is one of the greatest changes to allstar cheer lately!

I love being on a 4.2! I can still work on higher level stunting while having the lower level tumbling. The division itself is very tight. I'm so excited to see what the other teams in the division have been up to! :)

Back