All-Star What To Do When Your Athlete Isn't Being Challenged?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Update: We had a family meeting last night. The kids aren't happy about potentially changing gyms, but for the most part understand the reasoning. CP1 was actually the first to agree, which was rather surprising since he's a crossover this year. We've got a meeting with the owner next week as well, so hopefully that goes okay; I hate thinking about pulling them from there friends and leaving the gym attempting to fill positions. Definitely not looking forward to it but I'll will try my best to be calm and explain what's happening without making them feel as if we're trying to pressure the gym...I've also called one of the other local gyms, asking about the program and if there is any available space left. Will keep you all updated, and once again, thanks so much for all the great advice.

I agree with the other posters,telling kids to spot each other,is a huge sign to hit the door. I do understand giving the owner,the benefit of the doubt and making sure,they know what is happening in the gym.Good luck with whatever you and your family decide and please keep us updated!

Thanks for the good advice.
To clarify, they told her it was a waste of her time to work twisting skills. I agree, that's definitely not what you should tell an athlete, especially one whom only wants to progress and please her coaches. I signed up for some tumbling classes at a gymnastics facility this morning, but its still really hard for her to go from throwing skills out of the gym, to going to practice and spending six hours a week bored and not feeling physically/mentally challenged.

My CP was attending her first gym and was going to additional tumbling classes and open gym sessions, but felt she wasn't being given enough attention and they didn't challenge her. We took her to a gymnastics gym for privates and within a month, she had her full, and was working on advancing other skills. At her gym, they started seeing her skills, but just gave her the 'stink eye'. One of the parents in her gym spilled the beans; the owner said she heard some rumors and asked CP if she had her full. She was only 12 and didn't care if anyone knew what she could do so the coach said well can I see it. They didn't have a spring floor so she threw it on the hard floor. Needless to say, their stink eyes went to wide eyes and they asked her where that came from. She told her, calmly, 'Oh, I've been working on it.' Two months later when she had her double, they said, ok what's your secret. She told them she was tumbling at a gymnastics gym with a tumbling coach.
She didn't stay much longer at that gym because she needed to advance 'with' the team and not 'from' the team. There is a difference. She didn't want to just be good, but to be with others who also strive to work hard to get skills, be competitive on a good team, and be on a team with others with the same goals.
She had to switch gyms to find that place. She never regretted it and has found her happy place due to that very difficult family decision. She now cheers at a D1 college.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

A little late on the update, but its been a crazy few weeks. :oops:

The meeting was a very interesting experience which I won't discuss the details of in respect for the program in question. But I will give an update of some of the happenings in the CDO4 household since then.

I'll start off with CP3 whom the thread was about. We did end up pulling her from the program and while this has been a very stressful situation for her, a lot of positive things have also come from this. (Originally she was going to take the year off but when stunting at a different facility's open gym one of the coaches took interest and we ended up having a meeting with the gym owners shortly after.) They had a couple positions available and CP is now on Sr. 5 R. She's already enjoying it so much and has made a ton of progress in such a sort amount of time! :)

CP1 will be staying the season with our original gym. We support him in his decision and fully understand his reasons, and of course are proud of his courage to stay and commitment to his fellow teammates. CP2 is undecided. Our youngest CP will also be joining the new program on a half-year Y1; she was originally on Y2 but we didn't feel comfortable taking another athletes spot or adding more alternates to an already overfull roster. This will be a good opportunity for her to become a leader and to strengthen her skills...not to mention she gets a chance to base and is over the moon about that, haha. :D

On a sort of side note; this transition has been rough and probably will continue to be in the foreseeable future (many people have not reacted pleasantly and we're doing our best to shelter our kids from the backlash. And continue to make cheerleading a positive experience for them), but all in all it's been completely worth it. The new facility so far has been wonderful and they've opened their arms to us and made our kids feel very much at home. (The one thing if anything I've noticed, even within a few practices is that the amount of attention and nurturing of talent, whether level 1 or level 5 is equal and that the coaches seem to genuinely enjoy working with the athletes and developing their skills.) So to all those families with kids (or athletes) whom aren't happy or are in a less than pleasant situation within their/your gym...or any other sport. Don't be afraid to take a stand and change things for the better. Our kids are only young once and cheerleading can't be done forever, so make the most of now and make the experience as positive as possible. So many amazing life lessons and skills can be learned from this sport, especially with great coaches and a good environment.

Our journey is far from over yet, but thank you all for the continuous support and encouragement. Our family is very grateful! :kiss:

Thanks again,
CD04

PS: I hope most of this makes sense. I've had about six cups of coffee in the last 3 hours, (bad! I know.) and the caffeine is making me into a bit of a random babbler. So apologies for that!

A little late on the update, but its been a crazy few weeks. :oops:

The meeting was a very interesting experience which I won't discuss the details of in respect for the program in question. But I will give an update of some of the happenings in the CDO4 household since then.

I'll start off with CP3 whom the thread was about. We did end up pulling her from the program and while this has been a very stressful situation for her, a lot of positive things have also come from this. (Originally she was going to take the year off but when stunting at a different facility's open gym one of the coaches took interest and we ended up having a meeting with the gym owners shortly after.) They had a couple positions available and CP is now on Sr. 5 R. She's already enjoying it so much and has made a ton of progress in such a sort amount of time! :)

CP1 will be staying the season with our original gym. We support him in his decision and fully understand his reasons, and of course are proud of his courage to stay and commitment to his fellow teammates. CP2 is undecided. Our youngest CP will also be joining the new program on a half-year Y1; she was originally on Y2 but we didn't feel comfortable taking another athletes spot or adding more alternates to an already overfull roster. This will be a good opportunity for her to become a leader and to strengthen her skills...not to mention she gets a chance to base and is over the moon about that, haha. :D

On a sort of side note; this transition has been rough and probably will continue to be in the foreseeable future (many people have not reacted pleasantly and we're doing our best to shelter our kids from the backlash. And continue to make cheerleading a positive experience for them), but all in all it's been completely worth it. The new facility so far has been wonderful and they've opened their arms to us and made our kids feel very much at home. (The one thing if anything I've noticed, even within a few practices is that the amount of attention and nurturing of talent, whether level 1 or level 5 is equal and that the coaches seem to genuinely enjoy working with the athletes and developing their skills.) So to all those families with kids (or athletes) whom aren't happy or are in a less than pleasant situation within their/your gym...or any other sport. Don't be afraid to take a stand and change things for the better. Our kids are only young once and cheerleading can't be done forever, so make the most of now and make the experience as positive as possible. So many amazing life lessons and skills can be learned from this sport, especially with great coaches and a good environment.

Our journey is far from over yet, but thank you all for the continuous support and encouragement. Our family is very grateful! :kiss:

Thanks again,
CD04

PS: I hope most of this makes sense. I've had about six cups of coffee in the last 3 hours, (bad! I know.) and the caffeine is making me into a bit of a random babbler. So apologies for that!
Good luck to you and your CPs. Switching, especially splitting gyms can't be easy. You have made a difficult decision based on what is best for you and your family, and it sounds like it's going to be an adjustment for all, but also a learning experience.
We received a lot of animosity from switching and, to this day, the owners and coaches still hold a grudge, and we can't understand why. We have moved on 5 + years ago and so should they. They need to focus on their future cheerleaders and forget about it. We didn't leave mid-season; we finished out our season and joined another program once all competitions and requirements were fulfilled. Let's hope your transition is a seamless one.

Good luck to you and your CPs. Switching, especially splitting gyms can't be easy. You have made a difficult decision based on what is best for you and your family, and it sounds like it's going to be an adjustment for all, but also a learning experience.
We received a lot of animosity from switching and, to this day, the owners and coaches still hold a grudge, and we can't understand why. We have moved on 5 + years ago and so should they. They need to focus on their future cheerleaders and forget about it. We didn't leave mid-season; we finished out our season and joined another program once all competitions and requirements were fulfilled. Let's hope your transition is a seamless one.

Thank you so much for your kind words and well wishes! I'm so sorry to hear about the negative experience you had switching gyms. Owners and coaches shouldn't allow their own emotions and personal opinions to cloud them, and should never take that negative energy out on a child or family. I hope that eventual things change and that they let go of their grudges and learn to admire the successes of your daughter and any other athletes that leave their program.

Latest posts

Back