High School What Tumbling Equipment Would You Need If...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

We had a full set of mats. The biggest issue we had was securing them, several times we've caught people peeing on them, and our coach found people fooling around. Honestly I don't see high school teams requiring a lot of tumbling equipment besides a wedge, and mats. It's ridiculous that mats are considered luxury items in some districts smh.

We had a full set of mats. The biggest issue we had was securing them, several times we've caught people peeing on them, and our coach found people fooling around. Honestly I don't see high school teams requiring a lot of tumbling equipment besides a wedge, and mats. It's ridiculous that mats are considered luxury items in some districts smh.
I have seen people jumping on cheer mats during gym classes and it disgusts me. They damage property that they aren't even willing to pay for.

And yes, it's funny how mats are a luxury but helmets are seen as a necessity. SMH

Last edited:
Question, if the coach/team was to tell the AD that they needed mats for safety purposes and the school didn't provide them, and then in turn someone got hurt. Could that athlete technically sue the school?

Question, if the coach/team was to tell the AD that they needed mats for safety purposes and the school didn't provide them, and then in turn someone got hurt. Could that athlete technically sue the school?
Thats a very good question. For some reason I think my girls had to sign a waiver, but I don't know if the waiver would stand against for something like that.

If cheer has been ruled a sport in your state, then yes. If not, you'll have to sue a teammate (I think you could sue the coach, but if she is a teacher, maybe the school will protect her from getting sued?).

Don't take my word for it, I'm not licensed to give legal counsel. Maybe @ACEDAD can help?

If cheer has been ruled a sport in your state, then yes. If not, you'll have to sue a teammate (I think you could sue the coach, but if she is a teacher, maybe the school will protect her from getting sued?).

Don't take my word for it, I'm not licensed to give legal counsel. Maybe @ACEDAD can help?

I'm not an attorney either. But AACCA has outlined specific safety items and the school could be liable if they don't follow the guidelines.

**Athlete Tryouts oughta be called Parent Show-outs! **

I'm not an attorney either. But AACCA has outlined specific safety items and the school could be liable if they don't follow the guidelines.

**Athlete Tryouts oughta be called Parent Show-outs! **
AACCA.org - Cheerleading Program Checklist

Our school has no matting available. I am fairly certain that if our school administration was reported as being inadequate that the result would be to drop the cheer program completely.

My high school team had two full floors or mats. We had one at the elementary school that we practiced at and one at the high school. We were responsible for learning tumbling outside of practice. Our coaches didn't teach us how to tumble or spot us on any tumbling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AACCA.org - Cheerleading Program Checklist

Our school has no matting available. I am fairly certain that if our school administration was reported as being inadequate that the result would be to drop the cheer program completely.
Sad.

My high school team had two full floors or mats. We had one at the elementary school that we practiced at and one at the high school. We were responsible for learning tumbling outside of practice. Our coaches didn't teach us how to tumble or spot us on any tumbling.

That just sounds strange... and unsafe.

Sad.

We never really worked on tumbling at practice. We would warm it up and throw it but it was expected to be perfected at a gym. We spent most of our practices on stunts or routine stuff/game stuff (putting stunts in cheers, ect).

It was almost impossible to make varsity without a back handspring at my school, and if you didn't tumble you didn't get to compete. I know we usually had at least full squad back handsprings, most of the squad had tucks, probably 10 people had layouts, and then a couple had fulls.

Sad.

May I ask why you think it's unsafe? My school was run similarly (I grew up very close to Syd). Cheer coaches are often teachers with little to no formal gymnastics training. If they know they can't teach it, I'd much rather see them say "go learn it on your own at a gym" than try to teach jank back handsprings and have someone get seriously injured.

May I ask why you think it's unsafe? My school was run similarly (I grew up very close to Syd). Cheer coaches are often teachers with little to no formal gymnastics training. If they know they can't teach it, I'd much rather see them say "go learn it on your own at a gym" than try to teach jank back handsprings and have someone get seriously injured.
I wouldn't feel comfortable having kids tumble if I weren't certified to teach or spot it. Not only that, but a kid might learn a technically incorrect tumbling skill, and I wouldn't be able to fix. Maybe that's just me. I like to micromanage.

I wouldn't feel comfortable having kids tumble if I weren't certified to teach or spot it. Not only that, but a kid might learn a technically incorrect tumbling skill, and I wouldn't be able to fix. Maybe that's just me. I like to micromanage.

Our coaches were all certified, and would verbally correct if it was needed but they did not spot hands on. All of our coaches were former cheerleaders, and I cheered for a relatively successful program. I believe they've won state six times since 2008 with only one gap year as they could not attend in 2011 due to a football game they had to cheer at.

I never thought of it as odd that they didn't teach us how to tumble at practice, but that's possibly because I didn't know that there were schools out there that did teach tumbling haha.

All I can say is that I wouldn't have felt comfortable throwing fulls on a dead floor before having it solid on the spring floor. And I would assume that most schools don't have access to a spring floor. I didn't throw my full on dead mat until I had it for well over a year because I never felt comfortable or safe throwing it on dead mat. I would hate to have learned it on that surface.

Our coaches were all certified, and would verbally correct if it was needed but they did not spot hands on. All of our coaches were former cheerleaders, and I cheered for a relatively successful program. I believe they've won state six times since 2008 with only one gap year as they could not attend in 2011 due to a football game they had to cheer at.

I never thought of it as odd that they didn't teach us how to tumble at practice, but that's possibly because I didn't know that there were schools out there that did teach tumbling haha.

All I can say is that I wouldn't have felt comfortable throwing fulls on a dead floor before having it solid on the spring floor. And I would assume that most schools don't have access to a spring floor. I didn't throw my full on dead mat until I had it for well over a year because I never felt comfortable or safe throwing it on dead mat. I would hate to have learned it on that surface.

WTH? That is so stupid.

Back