High School What tumbling skills do you need to be on varsity?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My school, for Varsity (juniors & seniors) at least to a running tuck, JV (freshman & sophomores) Backhandspring.
But, the coach picks favorites & turned down girls with standing tucks & layouts for girls that she likes to talk to without any tumbling... But so does every team/school in my area :p

My school, for Varsity (juniors & seniors) at least to a running tuck, JV (freshman & sophomores) Backhandspring.
But, the coach picks favorites & turned down girls with standing tucks & layouts for girls that she likes to talk to without any tumbling... But so does every team/school in my area :p
I can not imagine being on a competitive team where the coach picks favorites.....you can not be very competitive if favorites are being picked over talent. I do understand that there is always some politics with selecting girls for a squad but talent should always come first; if you care/want to win. After you have your major players, then you can look at things like remaining seniors, or spirit and performers. JMO

I can not imagine being on a competitive team where the coach picks favorites.....you can not be very competitive if favorites are being picked over talent. I do understand that there is always some politics with selecting girls for a squad but talent should always come first; if you care/want to win. After you have your major players, then you can look at things like remaining seniors, or spirit and performers. JMO
Completely agree! I'm a junior & after trying out this year & seeing who all made it & who didn't reassured me that I was not going to waste my time next year!

From personal experience, the girls with the talent aren't always the nicest or easiest to work with. When I was a sophomore, I felt judged and put down by older girls who thought they were better than me because they could tumble and I couldn't.

Also from a coach's perspective, I would much rather work with girls who are willing than girls that have a sour attitude towards the coaching staff or any other team member. Tumbling may help you win you competitions, but it isn't what makes a team great. Not saying this is every team's problem, but I can certainly see why a coach would choose personality over skill in some cases. You can always train someone to get a back handspring, but typically you can't make them a nicer person.

I coach middle school, but around this time of year we get tryout packets from the high schools to distribute to our 8th grade cheerleaders. Few of the high schools in our county seem to complete despite the FHSAA having a seemingly nice structure for competitions. The one packet we've gotten so far is from a school that requires a back handspring for Varsity. Tumbling is "extra credit" for JV. The stunts required are an extension with cradle for JV and a heel stretch with cradle for Varsity. My girls zoned to that high school are pretty excited; assuming they go in with positive, friendly attitudes, they should all be able to make JV based on their skills.

Im not going into high school this year but I want to try out next august for my high school cheer team. So i was wondering, what tumbling skills to you have to have to be on the varsity team?:)
I coach and judge a High School team and you will get points added to your score depending on the tumbling you throw. Some schools will have ranges of tumbling on their squads. You get up to 5 points on your score sheet based on what you throw standing and running tumbling wise. You can also incorporate tumbling into your jumps.

At my daughter's school there are no "set requirements" skills wise. We just finished try outs and Varsity has girls/boys on it who have no tumbling, ok motions, and a little dance experience. Varsity also has girls/guys on who have no cheer experience but wanted to be on it for their senior year. JV has girls with back handsprings and tucks, sharp motions, awesome dancers, and years of cheer experience.. Oh, I have to add the Varsity coach doesn't actually want to coach cheer but wants to coach dance but took the position so she could get her foot in the door. Should be an interesting year.:)

thanks everyone! now that im in highschool and i cheered for the freshman team. i was new to the school and tried out late....only 3 people had a backhandspring with freshman and jv combined . it was me, a gymnast and another all star cheerleader. on varsity everyone had a backhandspring except for like 5 people

michigan high school coaches hate all star because they lose a lot of athletes to all star teams. at my high school there were 2 level 5 athletes that were put on JV because of their motions....
My school has only lost one person to all star and she wasn't good so it didnt matter. Michigan coaches around where I live dont hate all star because they just want the best for the athlete. But then again nobody quits during the season. But If they are all stars they cant cheer at anything.

My school has only lost one person to all star and she wasn't good so it didnt matter. Michigan coaches around where I live dont hate all star because they just want the best for the athlete. But then again nobody quits during the season. But If they are all stars they cant cheer at anything.
where I live theres a few good all star gyms so the high school coaches can't stand when girls pick all star over school lol

Back