High School What tumbling skills do you need to be on varsity?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I completely agree that just because a girl can tumble doesn't mean she has the skills to lead a crowd. There have been a couple of girls who threw fulls at tryouts not make any team and girls who didn't tumble did. For my daughter's high school, tumbling is only worth 1/6 of the score and the range is 0-5 so even if a girl throws a full but her motions, spiriting and jumps are bad, she isn't going to make it.
It's such a slap in the face when a girl with sloppy motions makes the team instead of you because she can do a tuck.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

It's funny because if you have a bhs where I'm from you're considered a "god" we were recruiting boys one year and this freshman boy came to our open gym and he threw this janky bhs for the first time but landed it and made the team no problem. We had to teach him how to CLAP. Literally he was so sloppy he couldn't clap properly. If he didn't have a bhs he never would have made it. So where I'm from tumbling will get you a guaranteed spot no matter what.

I coach at a high school and we have a sideline team which cheers at games, pep rallies, etc. Our varsity sideline has about 25 girls & JV sideline has about 20. Then we have separate competition teams that are girls from sideline that have the skills necessary to compete. Varsity girls must have a tuck, level jump combos & level 4 stunting ability. JV girls must have a backhand spring & level 3 stunting ability! It works out nice because girls that do not have the skills to compete can still cheer for the school!

The high school I went to unofficially required a backhandspring to be on competition mat, a majority of the girls have solid round off backhandspring tucks, and a little under half have layouts and a couple have fulls. But usually one girl on the mat doesn't have tumbling because she's an alternate but someone got injured. It happens every year!

Varsity: Standing/toe touch BHS. A lot of times exceptions are made for football, but for competition BHS is "required." About 70% of the team has a BHS. Exceptions are made for seniors, which is understandable. Usually made for tiny fetus flyers, too. *sigh*
JV: No tumbling is required. Although, 7 out of 13 girls have their BHS. Placement is based on motions, jumps, dance ability, stunting ability, and obviously, tumbling. Their squad is primarily freshman.

Bascially, it just depends on where your from. Little schools may not require any tumbling, but big schools may require anything from a BHS, standing tuck, or maybe layouts/fulls.

At my school, middle school, JV, and varsity all require the same skills. For standing, you have to have a standing backhandspring and a standing tuck (worth 5 points) or you can do a series of backhandsprings for 3 points at the most. For running tumbling, you have to do atleast a 3 trick pass. Most do tucks, layouts, and a couple have fulls. Some girls get creative and do their own tumbling passes. In the dance, there is normally a 2-3 jump sequence with a backhandspring. In the cheer, there's always a toetouch backhandspring.

But, our Varsity and JV haven't been competing in the past two years due to playoffs(?). I don't see the need for all of this tumbling if all we need is a backhandspring for the football field or camp! The only time I ever use my running tumbling in school cheer is for tryouts..

Latest posts

Back