All-Star Why Are Tryouts Tumbling Only?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

its a lot easier to train someone to be a so called "beast base/back spot" rather than tumble.

So then when everyone on here says it's not all about tumbling then that's not true? It IS all about tumbling and they can teach you whatever else?

(And for the record...I disagree with this. You can't "teach" strength and coordination. I know quite a few girls that can throw some fierce tumbling but couldn't catch a BALL let alone a PERSON)

So then when everyone on here says it's not all about tumbling then that's not true? It IS all about tumbling and they can teach you whatever else?

(And for the record...I disagree with this. You can't "teach" strength and coordination. I know quite a few girls that can throw some fierce tumbling but couldn't catch a BALL let alone a PERSON)
obviously you need some physics lessons then.

I saw some Level 5 teams at Worlds that had athletes in the back row that didnt' even have standing backtucks, a level 3 skill.

Well, I do definitely need physics lessons - I won't deny that. Not my best subject in college. It's so weird that you keep getting banned. You're so well mannered - and full of useful information in every conversation. :confused:
i agree!

At my tryouts we have a warm up, jumps, jump into tumbling, standing, running, and stunting. We spend a lot of time on stunting too, switching people in and out seeing who can do what

For the past 5 years i have been cheering at my gym we always incorporated tumbling and stunting in the tryouts like one hour all stunting and then one hour all tumbling then last year they changed it and they only did tumbling which affected not only me but the teams it was the worst turnout EVER even this year they only did tumbling crossing my fingers all works out unlike last year !

Well, our tryouts use to be just tumbling &jumps.. but they changed them this year. This year they're like a practice except the coaches/ judges are sitting at a table in front of you. I LOVED THIS!! b/c i get SO nervous during tryouts! They're divided into groups by age (12 and under, 12 and up, & the rest? haha). We first warm-up and stuff and do jumps, jumps to tumbling, standing tumbling, running etc. After doing one section they would ask us all to go to one corner or whatever and throw the highest pass we have. After all the tumbling we just get into stunt groups and do basics.. kind of. They adjust to how you're doing to each skill (if you're good at one skill they'll tell you to go to the next-- full down to double full down etc.) We also had to fill out a contract with all the legal stuff and what not and put our skills down like check mark if we had certain skills.
The summer practices are usually combined practices and if you improve you can move up and vise versa. Once the actual competition season starts there's not much changing though, but i'm pretty sure that's everywhere;)

Our gym is changing our try-outs some this year. Try-outs early next week then practice (tumbling, stunts, & jumps) with your level for the rest of the month. We find out placements the following weekend. I like this way much better. Sometimes try-outs can be a little intimidating for the kids and cause them not to do their best. This way the coaches get to watch the kids over the next week or so to make sure they're placed on the right team. My cp's like this much better. I would guess it should also help with moving less kids around once team practices start, but guess we will see.

I haven't seen many perform at all actually. Usually they either aren't at the competitions we go to or they're so late in the day that we're long gone. So I've only seen the great ones on youtube (Top Gun anyone???:eek:)

I guess that's good news and bad news then! :) Good news for my daughter :D...bad news for those teams.:(

Level 6 tends to only really be true level 6 in stunting. Tumbling is all over the place on open teams. I don't even throw a backhandspring anymore!

Our girls do everything at tryouts. Tumbling, jumping, stunting, dancing, and a short cheer to see motions.

Back