All-Star Workout Team Groups

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Keep_Believing

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Apr 11, 2011
We are switching from a small gym to a big gym. I will be driving my 2 daughters ages 11 & 12 almost an hour and a half twice a week for cheer on Wed & Sun evenings. They will take a tumble class in town at a local gymnastics gym. They were placed in a all girl small senior 4 workout group. The actual team won't be finalized until the beginning of June. I am anxious and nervous. I have no experience with work out groups. This is completely new to me. Any advice or information is appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited:
It's probably just the same thing as group conditioning in college. You have team tumbling, practice, and workout group is probably just a fancy way of saying "group conditioning and staying in shape."

We did a private try out and my girls were placed in small all girl senior 4. They said they are keeping 19 or 20 girls to make the best, strongest possible team, but everyone looked really good to me. All the girls had standing tucks and running passes to layouts. I don't understand how they will decide and what exactly happens to those they don't keep. The way they do things is so new to me. I should have asked more questions, but found it all overwhelming. We go back tomorrow evening,

Last edited:
I would imagine, because it's a large gym, there is possibility of ending up on a senior, junior or youth level 4 team (whatever combination they feel is best after seeing what works and doesn't work in the upcoming practices) There is likely also the possibility that some of the kids in the group will wind up on a 3 or 5 depending on how things pan out...

We just need to continue with a team that meets later in the evening. By the time I get off work, pick up my kids, drive there, and deal with traffic it is already after 6 pm.

Well workout groups are used to determine who has the strongest skill set for that team. A time to tryout a flyer who may be a better fit as a base on a younger team or vice versa.

With this being a senior team, they could possibly stay where they are or moved to a younger team. Really there is no way to say which way it could go. Good luck!

Old gym; did workout groups (not a fan of the many parents in the gym), you worked out with team based on age and then they broke teams down by skill and you worked out with said team from June up until choreography (July) It allows coaches to evaluate each kid and how they work together as a team and removes the anxiety of a traditional tryout (1/2 day) session. If CP nerves get the best of them, its not the end of the world so to speak.

Current gym: traditional tryout, you are placed on team based on skills thrown at tryout!

I can definitely see advantages to forming work outs groups then later forming the strongest possible teams, but as a parent dislike being in limbo. It wouldn't be that big a deal, but we live so far away that I need them to be placed on this team or a team that has similar practice times (later in the evenings). I just cant make it to this gym by 5:30 pm on weekdays.

It is awful not really knowing until a month or so after tryouts because you do risk a chance of that schedule changing. Now did you specifically tell them you wanted both CPs on the same team? What if they practice on different days? I know once the season starts, some gyms add in an extra practice a week.

I explained to them since I am a single mom of 3 (just my 2 girls cheer) driving from out of town I had to have them on the same team. They said since both of my girls had the same skill set that they could keep them together for me. I didn't even think about extra practice times. Right now we are Wed 7-9 pm and Sun 6-8 pm. As, long as the weekday practices are late in the evening I can find a way to make it work. I will definitely feel better when everything is finalized in June.

Do these big gyms have a way to hook up carpools? We have not tried out yet but are signing up for an hour and a half drive.

Surely there are other people from your area traveling there for cheer that you could hook up with to share the burden, especially in the case of extra practices?

We are lucky in that 2 other families from our previous gym have moved or are moving "with" us, so I am hopeful that I won't be the one making the drive every time.

I live in a small town. Unfortunately, there is no one for us to car pool with right now.

That's a bummer, @Kris ! None of our potential carpoolers live in our town, and actually, they all live a little closer to the new gym than I do. If we ride with one family, I will have to drive her 20-25 minutes away to their house to carpool with them. It still saves me the other hour to get her there, the 2 hour wait, and then the hour back to their house. It gives me time to go to work or take my other child to his activities or whatever.

I hope eventually you can find something like that too!

That's a bummer, @Kris ! None of our potential carpoolers live in our town, and actually, they all live a little closer to the new gym than I do. If we ride with one family, I will have to drive her 20-25 minutes away to their house to carpool with them. It still saves me the other hour to get her there, the 2 hour wait, and then the hour back to their house. It gives me time to go to work or take my other child to his activities or whatever.

I hope eventually you can find something like that too!

this is exactly what i was going to point out, too, @Kris ! you may be the farthest in one direction, but is there a possibility of driving your CPs a shorter distance to someone else's house? I've known plenty of people who have done that, or that have had a central meeting location, like a rest stop on the parkway, and then the parents took turns driving the rest of the way to the gym like once a week or every two weeks depending on how many involved. don't be afraid to ask the gym or other parents, you'd be surprised how many others would be interested in a carpool (once you have a set practice schedule, it'll help, too)! the "carpool crew" usually becomes a pretty tight knit group of kids too, and even if they aren't in your town, they may have friends who are *slightly* closer to home.

good luck! I hope you have found your new forever home :)

That would be awesome. So far, haven't figured anything out. We live in a small town. I don't know of anyone here that is going that way.

Back