All-Star Worlds 2014: The Good, The Bad And The Ugly

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

From what I have been told and have seen posted, they did not get any oob deductions.
This actually makes me mad. You could even see on the ESPN footage the girl being ABSOLUTELY out of bounds. Why was it not a deduction?

Oh right, I realize I'm talking about the same judges that didn't deduct Bangkok for jumping on the spotter's back and having him give a piggy back ride off stage.

The deduction that orange should have gotten still wouldn't have any effect on placement, but I think it's dumb that they didn't receive one. It was hard to spot until I watched a video from a certain angle which is why I missed it the first few times I watched myself.

I think we need to have instant replay for judges to re watch routines before awards, etc.

The deduction that orange should have gotten still wouldn't have any effect on placement, but I think it's dumb that they didn't receive one. It was hard to spot until I watched a video from a certain angle which is why I missed it the first few times I watched myself.

I think we need to have instant replay for judges to re watch routines before awards, etc.
Wait what? What deduction should Orange have gotten? The deduction in question is on Stars and would have switched Stars and Panthers placements

Judges miss deductions and make mistakes all of the time. We have won because of it and lost because of it. Unfortunately, it is part of the sport.

This actually makes me mad. You could even see on the ESPN footage the girl being ABSOLUTELY out of bounds. Why was it not a deduction?

Oh right, I realize I'm talking about the same judges that didn't deduct Bangkok for jumping on the spotter's back and having him give a piggy back ride off stage.
Totally agree with you.

dpbsbn.jpg

If my dad can catch it, so can a judge.

I thought they only deducted if the athlete stepped both feet beyond the red. I can't find the info though so I'm not sure.

That isn't OOB. I believe the main one people have discussed was on the far left.

Again, it happens. We have had stuff missed that helped us and had our competitors stuff missed that hurt our rankings. It probably evens out in the long run, but I think most people wish fewer mistakes happened.

I thought they only deducted if the athlete stepped both feet beyond the red. I can't find the info though so I'm not sure.
From: http://usasf.net.ismmedia.com/ISM2//Worlds/2014/docs/USASF_14_Worlds_CH_Rules-Regulations.pdf
II. COMPETITION AREA
A. Participants must start and end in the competition area and
may line up anywhere inside the competition area. The
competition area will be determined by the tournament
director according to the size of the facility being used.
B. Approximate floor size will be 54 feet wide by 42 feet deep
(9 strips).
C. All skills must originate and be completed within the
competition boundary. No lineups, skills, or transitions are
allowed outside of the competition boundary. The
competition boundary is defined as the actual competition
floor/spring floor, the carpet bonded foam panels that
connect to the spring floor, and any additional border that
supports/surrounds the floor.

D. A 3.0 deduction will be assessed per occurrence for an
athlete that makes contact outside the competition boundary.
Stepping on, or just past the boundary tape is not a boundary
violation.

So the competition boundary includes the red border. Deductions (notably 3.0 points) are to be taken if athletes make contact outside the boundary (off of the red).

...but it shouldn't be part of the sport.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Just from another perspective to add on to what BlueCat said - it happens in other sports also. Cheerleading judges have the task of watching so much from so many athletes in a small time frame - I can see how deductions can be missed. I am not saying I agree, but understand. Maybe they can come up with a better system in the future. My son plays soccer, and do you know how many times an off side goal was allowed to count, thus affecting the outcome of the game - sometimes in our favor, sometimes not - or penalties are called or not called that can change a game. I understand some calls can be subjective, just like in cheer- it is not perfect, but cheer is not the only youth sport/activity it happens in.

Back