All-Star Young Champions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Our first year in cheerleading my daughter joined an all star team, as did an 11 year old girl who had done YCOA (Young Champions of America) for seven years. She had gone to several national competitions and they had won a couple of them (as in across the country, end of the season nationals) and she could do a cartwheel and a round off. She had level one jumps and stunting skills as well. The owner of the all star gym actually confirmed with her mom that she had done seven years of cheer since it looked like she hasn't done any. Craziness!

A YCOA team/coach in our area put together a coed group of athletes that they had coached for years that wanted to compete against all star teams too. The exact same group of 32 kids were a Lg Sr 2 AND a Lg Sr 4.2. They came in last place in both divisions (unless there was only one 4.2 at the comp) at every single competition. It was painful to watch.

I dealt with a Susie's mom a couple of times who is a coach for Young Champions. Her CP was on a HS comp team that my CP's school competed against last year. Now I'm already a "tad" confused when it's comp season having an all star cp and a HS cp. She went on about her daughter being a "division 9?" When I proceeded to watch her cp tumble, I opened the can of worms and asked, what would that be considered in all star cheer? I sat and listened to " there is no difference in tumbling, stunting, ect.." As she pointed her cp out tumbling, and bragged about her back tuck, I was floored! Wouldn't make it in an all star gym! I ran into her @ a couple of other comps and ran.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My CP did YCOA her first year, so 2008. Most bizarre rules. She was in the 8 and under age bracket I believe. They couldn't do more than a thigh stand. Compulsory elements for the dance. She did it for a spring session, fall session, and then we left. .I couldn't see her doing those skills for so many years due to the way the organization had their "progressions" set up. However she did at least learn how to do motions and keep a count- important when you are six. She ended up tumbling and doing a stunting class from March through August at a gymnastics facility. When she started on a allstar prep team at the gym that fall her coaches could instantly tell that she at least had some experience.

We used to have to teach young champions as part of our college team. They basically took everything about cheerleading and threw it out the window and said "let's make up completely new names for things that already exist." A bench is a prep. A whip is a toe touch. It was the most confusing thing. They were doing full twist baskets and even *gasp* back tuck baskets, these are elementary school children, who clearly shouldn't have been doing either. It was a hot mess. I'm not sure why it exists but it does.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
That's scary, back tuck baskets outside, at such a young age...and based on the slow progression the fliers had probably never worked back tucks? As for the renaming some of that just has do do with where your from preps can be called bench, I've even heard them called halfs. I coach all-star and still call them bench because growing up that's what they where to me.

Last edited:
That's scary, back tuck baskets outside, at such a young age...and based on the slow progression the fliers had probably never worked back tucks? As for the renaming some of that just has do do with where your from preps can be called bench, I've even heard them called halfs. I coach all-star and still call them bench because growing up that's what they where to me.

They don't compete outside on grass. They practice in school gyms and such. And competitions are in rented out places too and they have mats at competition.

Reactions: VTX
So at what point do the kids begin practicing/performing advanced skills?
After they get to green and silver pom and pink Pom, which is after about 7 or 8 seasons. The only good this I can say for it is these kids have some on point motions, for the most part. And even at the 7th or 8th season, they only start to learn preps, toe touches, herkies, round offs, and cartwheels. Then the next season they're "legally allowed" to do splits. It's like they completely said let's throw normal progression out the window.

After they get to green and silver pom and pink Pom, which is after about 7 or 8 seasons. The only good this I can say for it is these kids have some on point motions, for the most part. And even at the 7th or 8th season, they only start to learn preps, toe touches, herkies, round offs, and cartwheels. Then the next season they're "legally allowed" to do splits. It's like they completely said let's throw normal progression out the window.

Those pom color ranking are reminding me of Girl Scout rankings for some odd reason... clearly the progression rules were not written by licensed coaches.

I had the morning off after dropping my kiddo to his day camp. I went to the YCOA organization's website. I have an M. Ed. I still can't understand what is going on.

Just like many other programs, different locations vary dramatically. I also coach for this organization. We have our own practice facility. It is no Cheer Athletics, but we've got room for our spring floor and some tumbling equipment. My state does NOT do this pom thing. Athletes are placed by age and level regardless of how many sessions they've been here. The lack of progress you are talking about could almost guarantee the coach would not be around long. And probably over 3/4 of the coaches in our state are USASF credentialed. We also have a handful of coaches who are USASF safety judge certified (including me).

Our rules are fairly similar to USASF, although we stretch out levels 1 and 2 into a couple levels, and have a completely non-stunting level for our 4-6 year olds. From there, the are the exact same as USASF rules, with the exception of some stunts requiring spotters/extra catchers that USASF does not. Tumbling rules are about a level down for various reasons.

Personally, I believe it is a great program for introducing kids to the sport. It isn't for everyone, and that's ok. I like the fact that with the limited practice schedule we have, my kids can participate in a number of other sports and activities that they may not be able to otherwise. And competing within the organization eliminates the problem of attending a competition and only competing against one/two other teams. If the kids are looking for something more, I'm happy to send them to the all-star gym down the street. I've coached kids who are World's medalists in this program. But, of course, it all depends on the location. Some states are significantly more all-star focused, and some have more of a rec feel.

I was hoping that something like this existed.... more affordable than all star, but more competitive than rec or Pop Warner/AYC. Aside from the craziness in progression (and assuming that there are more programs run like the one described above), I like it!

So at what point do the kids begin practicing/performing advanced skills?

This is from the NC site:

Young Champions Coaches assign class times based on students’ ages and abilities. Young Champions has five class levels. As students progress, the class time duration and cost will increase.

Ages 4-6 (Beginners) Beginners Level 1 30 min. class $6.00 or 45 min. $7.00

Ages 7- 9 (Beginners) Jr. Varsity Level 2 30 min. class $6.00 or 45 min. $7.00

Ages 7-15 (Intermediate) All Stars Level 3 45 min. class $7.00 or 60 min. $8.00

Ages 9-18 (Intermediate/Advanced) AS Level 4 45 min. class $7.00 or 60 min. $8.00

Advanced Class Elite Level 5 & 6 60 min. $8.00

This is from the NC site.

I was hoping that something like this existed.... more affordable than all star, but more competitive than rec or Pop Warner/AYC. Aside from the craziness in progression (and assuming that there are more programs run like the one described above), I like it!

I wouldn't say that it is more competitive per se. We had regionals in late fall, and if we placed within the top 5 or so in our regional, we went to the state competition. I believe at a certain age you could then advance to Nationals, but my kid was way too young for that so I didn't even give it a second glance. It was super affordable though- $28/ month.

This is from the NC site:

Young Champions Coaches assign class times based on students’ ages and abilities. Young Champions has five class levels. As students progress, the class time duration and cost will increase.

Ages 4-6 (Beginners) Beginners Level 1 30 min. class $6.00 or 45 min. $7.00

Ages 7- 9 (Beginners) Jr. Varsity Level 2 30 min. class $6.00 or 45 min. $7.00

Ages 7-15 (Intermediate) All Stars Level 3 45 min. class $7.00 or 60 min. $8.00

Ages 9-18 (Intermediate/Advanced) AS Level 4 45 min. class $7.00 or 60 min. $8.00

Advanced Class Elite Level 5 & 6 60 min. $8.00

This is from the NC site.

I wouldn't say that it is more competitive per se. We had regionals in late fall, and if we placed within the top 5 or so in our regional, we went to the state competition. I believe at a certain age you could then advance to Nationals, but my kid was way too young for that so I didn't even give it a second glance. It was super affordable though- $28/ month.
What about apparel costs?

Back