All-Star 1st Place Team Celebrating When 2nd Is Announced

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I think it is incredibly rare for teams in second to ACTUALLY be offended when the winner celebrates a few seconds earlier than someone has decided is proper. What is MUCH more common is that folks in the stands
I REALLY wish they would change around the way winners are announced to keep the gossip-hawks from getting their "gotcha" moments. If they would take the top 2 teams, say something to the effect of "Let's hear it for our top two teams, Gym A and Gym B. (pause for applause) . . . . . . and our champion is . . . . (winner)".

yes yes yes.

I think it is incredibly rare for teams in second to ACTUALLY be offended when the winner celebrates a few seconds earlier than someone has decided is proper.

I can't believe I am commenting on this thread....lol

I agree with fans wanting gotcha moments but not that 2nd place teams aren't ever offended. They want their 30 seconds to celebrate just like the 1st place team does.

This topic always has people saying "work harder if you lost" or "celebrate however you want if you win" but it's not about that at all. It's about each team getting their few seconds of celebration.

In addition, the comments that kids just aren't capable of containing their joy is wrong and you should give kids more credit. There are 8 and 9 year old kids in our gym that know to wait and be quiet until their name is called as 1st. They as a whole handle it just fine (I was going to reference that Tinys even know to do this but I am not really sure they always realize what is going on up there!) :) It is a culture in the gym that is established from the moment they join. It is important to us, but that may not be important to someone else's gym. Everyone's barometer of sportsmanship is different.

I think that we should keep a tally of how many of these threads we have had.

That being said, I hope to offer you all a new twist on this point that we hopefully have not beaten to death. (closer to the end of this post) I think that people have gotten way too sensitive these days about everything. 10 years ago this would never have been an issue. My opinion is that as long as you are celebrating with your team and not taunting the people that you beat you can do whatever you want. You should be happy when you win these competitions. Nothing frustrates me more than when teams that win are not excited. For example (and don't kill me because I like Senior Elite) when Senior Elite won cheersport this year they pretty much just walked up and got the trophy. If I was the second place team I would be much more offended about this reaction than someone celebrating early when they beat me. How do you guys feel about this one? It seems to happen quite a bit.

Can this thread just get locked? haha. Not to be mean but I really don't classify a gym by whether they cheer during second when they won first. We aren't even beating the horse anymore, the horse is gone we're just beating concrete with a baseball bat and getting nowhere.

Ok... since I guess we ARE talking about it after y'all ridiculed me.....

I'll go ahead and counter your point lakerfanatic. it's JUST CHEER... we want to be classified among the other sports... so we need to behave BETTER than other sports to work our way up to be classified with them. If I was a football fan and watched a second of worlds coverage and saw the 1st place team freaking out before they were announced, I'd classify them as spoiled cheer brats and change the channel. The point is that sportsmanship is worldwide, and cheerleaders better be on that same page if they want to win other sports fans over. I understand the points about teams celebrating prematurely in other sports... but cheer is NOT considered a sport by the majority of the public right now. and therefore, we need to up our game and be noticed.... we don't need to be put in the same category as ridiculous football/basketball teams who charge the court. We need to be different, and better.
Why is waiting for your name to be called "better" than rushing the field. Who decides what is "better sportsmanship"

I can't believe I am commenting on this thread....lol

I agree with fans wanting gotcha moments but not that 2nd place teams aren't ever offended. They want their 30 seconds to celebrate just like the 1st place team does.

This topic always has people saying "work harder if you lost" or "celebrate however you want if you win" but it's not about that at all. It's about each team getting their few seconds of celebration.

In addition, the comments that kids just aren't capable of containing their joy is wrong and you should give kids more credit. There are 8 and 9 year old kids in our gym that know to wait and be quiet until their name is called as 1st. They as a whole handle it just fine (I was going to reference that Tinys even know to do this but I am not really sure they always realize what is going on up there!) :) It is a culture in the gym that is established from the moment they join. It is important to us, but that may not be important to someone else's gym. Everyone's barometer of sportsmanship is different.
but at what point are we teaching our kids to stage....do it a "certain" way...almost like a scripted reaction...bring on the squeels and jumping...whoever.....its just cheer...IMHO

amen!!! and if you are second place...you are close!!!!
Does this mean Ricky Bobby lied to me?
20t4che.jpg

Well I guess that the next college basketball team to win the NCAA Championship should probably wait 2 or 3 minutes after the buzzer to celebrate so that the other team has time to celebrate their placement.

Do it like Miss USA does and call the final 2 down and then announce the winner. They don't give the runner up hardly anytime at all to realize that she didn't win. I guess when the crowd does crazy and Miss USA breaks down into tears that she is a bad sport about it?

We say how horrible it is that athletes celebrate too early but some of the same fans who say this start celebrating in the crowd before their placement is called as well. How is it perfectly fine for you as a fan to do it but not the athletes? Do you think the second place team feels great when they get called but the crowd is chanting the first place team's name or running at them to give them a hug?

but at what point are we teaching our kids to stage....do it a "certain" way...almost like a scripted reaction...bring on the squeels and jumping...whoever.....its just cheer...IMHO

It is well past that point already. I see athletes/parents coaches showing respect/disrespect for their competitors all the time and celebrating early is a hundred miles down the list in terms of displays of actual, sincere sportsmanship. I don't know who decided that this particular thing was a good barometer of the class of a team, but I really wish we could pick something else that is actually genuine and meaningful.

It is well past that point already. I see athletes/parents coaches showing respect/disrespect for their competitors all the time and celebrating early is a hundred miles down the list in terms of displays of actual, sincere sportsmanship. I don't know who decided that this particular thing was a good barometer of the class of a team, but I really wish we could pick something else that is actually genuine and meaningful.
Agree.....it is just so petty...life's too short...I love watching joy...:)

Ya see....freedom is just that....freedom.....why do the "feelings" of a few have to navigate the behavior of the many. People are "offended" by God...now two words in the pledge are a huge issue....havent we lost what IS important about cheer if we are whining about a celebration that is done by CHILDREN? We are adults....we are the ones who should be teaching our children....not an event on a stage several times a year....rediculous football/basketball? Last I checked....those are sports that do have "cred" and a zillions fans and correct me if I am wrong but arent those celebratory happenings some of the most shown clips in history...thrill of victory and agony of defeat? I teach my kids good sportsman ship by having them honor the first place team and strive to be on the top....no shame in losing and winning ISNT everything...thats all....not a National crisis if kids squeel with joy over hard work and success...we are becoming a country who penalizes success...look at our taxcode...:/

well said, and great points... I see where I could be thinking about this differently.

Well I guess that the next college basketball team to win the NCAA Championship should probably wait 2 or 3 minutes after the buzzer to celebrate so that the other team has time to celebrate their placement.

Do it like Miss USA does and call the final 2 down and then announce the winner. They don't give the runner up hardly anytime at all to realize that she didn't win. I guess when the crowd does crazy and Miss USA breaks down into tears that she is a bad sport about it?

We say how horrible it is that athletes celebrate too early but some of the same fans who say this start celebrating in the crowd before their placement is called as well. How is it perfectly fine for you as a fan to do it but not the athletes? Do you think the second place team feels great when they get called but the crowd is chanting the first place team's name or running at them to give them a hug?

AGREE TIMES 100000000

here in georgia at state they called top 6 down to the floor and only announce top 4. they should do something like that except only call top 3.

Back