All-Star 1st Place Team Celebrating When 2nd Is Announced

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

if they announce second and you have won. you should not get wicked excited until they announce that your team has one. and i fell like it is very rude and very bad sportsmanship to start screaming before they announce you as first.

if i won worlds i would not care if people called me rude or bad sports for celebrating. im sure every other team that has done that feels the same.

if i won worlds i would not care if people called me rude or bad sports for celebrating. im sure every other team that has done that feels the same.[/quote

I agree!!! Anyone in that position would be so excited they would not be able to help it...all their hard work would have finally paid off. I say celebrate all you want!!! Sounds like people are just mad they didn't get first.

ya know... The whole reason I brought this topic up in a new thread yesterday was because a MODERATOR of these boards made a controversial point about this exact issue in the "classiest gyms" thread yesterday. There is RARELY something as positive as that thread on this site, and through that moderators actions, I saw that there was clearly a reason to keep talking about it because of the point they raised... and I didn't want it to cloud the classy gym thread. I do apologize for bringing up something that y'all apparently talked about a lot. I don't spend every waking moment on here, and I guess I should use the search bar more often. Apologies to everyone... it'd be nice if this thread could be deleted since everyone is so clearly opposed to it, rather than me coming on here with several notifications of humiliation. I respect all of you on here, and a lot of you are my friends....

aww :cookie:

tumblr_lp9zf61UIy1qi67bx.gif

Ok... since I guess we ARE talking about it after y'all ridiculed me.....

I'll go ahead and counter your point lakerfanatic. it's JUST CHEER... we want to be classified among the other sports... so we need to behave BETTER than other sports to work our way up to be classified with them. If I was a football fan and watched a second of worlds coverage and saw the 1st place team freaking out before they were announced, I'd classify them as spoiled cheer brats and change the channel. The point is that sportsmanship is worldwide, and cheerleaders better be on that same page if they want to win other sports fans over. I understand the points about teams celebrating prematurely in other sports... but cheer is NOT considered a sport by the majority of the public right now. and therefore, we need to up our game and be noticed.... we don't need to be put in the same category as ridiculous football/basketball teams who charge the court. We need to be different, and better.

I'd say that if you are going to turn the channel because you caught the awards and another team was freaking out knowing they got when another team was awarded 2nd ... Then odds are you were not going to watch the channel in the first place. Also that is probably not what makes ppl think cheerleaders are spoiled brats; it's probably the fact this costing thousands and thousands of dollars a year, and since alot of parents have that thousands to spend on this they probably have those thousands to buy their kids nice and expensive things. So people assume their spoiled brats.

Lastly I will say nothing looks more like a sore loser and a spoiled brat then second place whining because they got 2nd and don't want no one to cheer for them as they feel these people are cheering because the other team just beat them and got 1st.

It's called get over it- if you can't be happy with it don't just be mad because someone else beat you.
Be mad you lost it yourselves and stop being so insecure...#ItsNotAGoodLook

Since when do we care if someone thinks it's a sport- yes that would be great but it's not about that! No matter how awesome/amazing cheerleaders are - people will always disagree and you just have to be ok with that.

And btw, when I'm saying "you" or "your" I'm not referring to you directly just anyone in general who feels that way.... And if anyone is having to wonder if this is referring to there situation then it probably is.

Fair points... Kris10boo. However, the original point was to hopefully teach kids to be happy with their performance, not the placement. And yes, I know that's not realistic at the top worlds level... But it should be. I got 3rd last year at worlds.. and I did all I could... And my bronze medal is in a beautiful frame with a picture of my team.

My perspective is coming from coaching for 5 years at a top level. I came from a gym that has gotten second to big names more times than I would like to remember. But every time we did... my kids jumped up and down to show they were thrilled to beat the 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th... place teams. One of the best moments of my life was when my J5 went from 11th in prelims to 4th in finals at NCA Dallas. When they got called 4th, everyone was in happy tears. It's about perspective, and it's about gratitude. Whether it was fake or real was up to the kids.

At the end of the day... If you cheer, I hope you do it because you love it. If you are California and get second at worlds, it's disappointing. But holy moly, you are right there with the legendary Panthers... and you beat like 60 other teams in that competition. It's disappointing not to win, but it's a tribute to your hard work to be at the top like that. And yes, you can turn that disappointment into hard work elsewhere... but the time and place for that disappointment is not for the awards floor.

Ya see....freedom is just that....freedom.....why do the "feelings" of a few have to navigate the behavior of the many. People are "offended" by God...now two words in the pledge are a huge issue....havent we lost what IS important about cheer if we are whining about a celebration that is done by CHILDREN? We are adults....we are the ones who should be teaching our children....not an event on a stage several times a year....rediculous football/basketball? Last I checked....those are sports that do have "cred" and a zillions fans and correct me if I am wrong but arent those celebratory happenings some of the most shown clips in history...thrill of victory and agony of defeat? I teach my kids good sportsman ship by having them honor the first place team and strive to be on the top....no shame in losing and winning ISNT everything...thats all....not a National crisis if kids squeel with joy over hard work and success...we are becoming a country who penalizes success...look at our taxcode...:/

I think it is incredibly rare for teams in second to ACTUALLY be offended when the winner celebrates a few seconds earlier than someone has decided is proper. What is MUCH more common is that folks in the stands are watching like hawks for something they can "catch" a team they dislike in - hoping they can run around and "prove" what poor sports those teams are.

Sportsmanship is hopefully about much more than how many seconds a 9 year old can contain her joy. The real sportsmanship happens behind the scenes and out of the microscope of the awards ceremony.

As I have mentioned before, if you outscore one of our teams, please feel free to be as happy as you want as soon as you find out. You won't hurt our feelings. If anything, acting calm and nonchalant about it makes me think you expected it or that beating us is no big deal. That would probably motive us even more to outscore you the next time.

I REALLY wish they would change around the way winners are announced to keep the gossip-hawks from getting their "gotcha" moments. If they would take the top 2 teams, say something to the effect of "Let's hear it for our top two teams, Gym A and Gym B. (pause for applause) . . . . . . and our champion is . . . . (winner)".

Back