All-Star 2012 - 2013 Videos

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The funniest thing is that standing tucks are the safest move because they land with bent knees, bhs with strong rebounds and layouts/fulls are deadly, but I havent been bailing out of them like I have tucks.
For some reason tucks feel more dangerous to me and because of that I use the worst technique ever, I just jump and pull it out of my A$$ lol

My subconscious is weird. :confused:

Theres nothing safe about the way you landed, but I know what you mean about landing. I broke my ankle 3 times last season and tucks scared me the most. I would rather 1 to dbl than standing tuck. I think its the impact.

Theres nothing safe about the way you landed, but I know what you mean about landing. I broke my ankle 3 times last season and tucks scared me the most. I would rather 1 to dbl than standing tuck. I think its the impact.

Its not like every tuck I do is like that. It was my first time back after surgery and rehab.

Its not like every tuck I do is like that. It was my first time back after surgery and rehab.

Ok let me see if i get you. You were scared to land because you didnt want it to hurt/get hurt again so you landed in a way that increases your risk of getting hurt? Call me crazy but if im scared to get hurt im going to do the skill properly so that I minimize my risk of injury no?

Im not try to put you down or belittle you, Im just trying to understand your reasoning because I see my kids do similar things when they are afraid and I just dont get it.

Ok let me see if i get you. You were scared to land because you didnt want it to hurt/get hurt again so you landed in a way that increases your risk of getting hurt? Call me crazy but if im scared to get hurt im going to do the skill properly so that I minimize my risk of injury no?

Im not try to put you down or belittle you, Im just trying to understand your reasoning because I see my kids do similar things when they are afraid and I just dont get it.
I don't that anybody coming back from an injury intends to do a skill with bad technique, I just think it's the jitters they get from starting to tumble again. I mean, it's not logical, but in a way, it makes sense. It's like you're hesitating to do it because you're nervous you're going to hurt yourself again, but still throwing it to get it over with. I tore a ligament in my hand and had to get surgery and was out for two months. My first couple times throwing just round off back handsprings were a little shaky and that's because you're doing the same thing that got you injured in the first place and your mind is conditioned to expect something bad out of it now. Fun little psychology fact, lol, but I hope my explanation made sense somehow and helped you out a little bit.

I don't that anybody coming back from an injury intends to do a skill with bad technique, I just think it's the jitters they get from starting to tumble again. I mean, it's not logical, but in a way, it makes sense. It's like you're hesitating to do it because you're nervous you're going to hurt yourself again, but still throwing it to get it over with. I tore a ligament in my hand and had to get surgery and was out for two months. My first couple times throwing just round off back handsprings were a little shaky and that's because you're doing the same thing that got you injured in the first place and your mind is conditioned to expect something bad out of it now. Fun little psychology fact, lol, but I hope my explanation made sense somehow and helped you out a little bit.

I totally agree. I tore my UCL in my elbow and I was terrified to do a back handspring because that was how I tore it, and when I did they were totally ratchet with terrible technique because I was scared. Tumbling straight after an injury is often just about getting the confidence back to even throw the skills. Logically you know you need the technique to avoid re-injuring yourself but mentally you're just trying to land it

I undertand what you're all saying, I just dont get the " Im scared so Im just going to chuck it and hope that I land on my feet/dont get hurt" mentality... If I am really scared of getting hurt you best believe Im going to do everything in my power not to get hurt.

To be honest. I think the new rules are crap. I would try a full punch double in a HOT second before i would EVER! try a full punch whip double.. A double whip double is just out of the picture..

Unfortunately the new rules are not doing what they could be doing. Athletes without the proper technique to be doing rebounding skills in the first place are now expecting their bodies to add some more rebounding into their passes. If the rules did as they could have done, only those with proper rebounding technique or natural bounce would be attempting these skills (not saying a natural bounce is 100% safe, but generally those with a natural bounce can rebound quite well without technique), unfortunately what it's turned into is those without that technique assuming that, since they could full double or double double, they can easily full whip double or double whip double. A full double or a double double does not necessarily require the ability to properly rebound as much as one would think it does, and definitely not as much as throwing a whip between the two.

How aren't they?
From USASF rules site: "In standing tumbling only, skills involving two twists (i.e. Double fulls) must be immediately preceded
by a minimum of two backward traveling, non-twisting tumbling skills. One of these two skills must be
a back handspring."

**totally not being rude, but genuinely curious as to the reasoning behind that.
anything tumbling that has a round off before it is running tumbling

I watched because of your comment. I think their elite stunt is super cute but holy LEG! The little flyer on our right, wow, I'm shocked her leg isn't broke, I watched it 3 times. Maybe it's an illusion but it looks like her leg bends sideways, the crowd even goes ahhh.
That is a torn ACL waiting to happen...cringing...

I undertand what you're all saying, I just dont get the " Im scared so Im just going to chuck it and hope that I land on my feet/dont get hurt" mentality... If I am really scared of getting hurt you best believe Im going to do everything in my power not to get hurt.

It's really just to get it over with and to gain that confidence back. It's like ok now I've thrown it a couple of times and I know I haven't killed myself yet. Like I said, it's not anybody's intention to throw a skill with horrible technique, but it's literally all in your mind. Your mind just expects something bad to happen and you really can't control that. It's conditioned that way now since you've injured yourself. Now you have to condition your mind into expecting yourself to be fine after tumbling.

It's really just to get it over with and to gain that confidence back. It's like ok now I've thrown it a couple of times and I know I haven't killed myself yet. Like I said, it's not anybody's intention to throw a skill with horrible technique, but it's literally all in your mind. Your mind just expects something bad to happen and you really can't control that. It's conditioned that way now since you've injured yourself. Now you have to condition your mind into expecting yourself to be fine after tumbling.

It just doesnt make any sense to me. Ive been injured more times than I can count on both hands, but I never go into a skill thinking "let me get it over with", I know that if i land bad Im probably going to get hurt again..... But to each its own....

Agreed. I think full doubles and double doubles are more about feeling, but you need technique to throw a whip in between.

It just doesnt make any sense to me. Ive been injured more times than I can count on both hands, but I never go into a skill thinking "let me get it over with", I know that if i land bad Im probably going to get hurt again..... But to each it's own.....
I forgot to also throw in the fact that sometimes you just forget that your body already knows what it's doing, like muscle memory. You forget to use that as an advantage. It's literally just all in your head. I'd ramble off about the whole experiment as to why your mind does that, but then it would be really off topic, lol. I mean, props to you though for having that type of control over your nerves, it's something I wish I had, and I bet a lot of other people wish they had too.

I watched because of your comment. I think their elite stunt is super cute but holy LEG! The little flyer on our right, wow, I'm shocked her leg isn't broke, I watched it 3 times. Maybe it's an illusion but it looks like her leg bends sideways, the crowd even goes ahhh.

Aaaack! I just went back and watched that! You are so correct. That did not look right. No, offense...but that had to hurt!

I forgot to also throw in the fact that sometimes you just forget that your body already knows what it's doing, like muscle memory. You forget to use that as an advantage. It's literally just all in your head. I'd ramble off about the whole experiment as to why your mind does that, but then it would be really off topic, lol. I mean, props to you though for having that type of control over your nerves, it's something I wish I had, and I bet a lot of other people wish they had too.

just sounds like excuses but ok...

just sounds like excuses but ok...

Awww...that's not nice! He shared and it probably wasn't easy. I think he knows it wasn't the best landing. But, look at how proud he is in the video just to be able to tumble again.
I recently had a car wreck and my hands shook the first time I got behind the wheel again. I was so scared to drive...something any teenager can do! I mean, I've been driving for years! I don't think I'm a bad driver for having sweaty, shaky hands, or gripping the wheel too tightly. It's just how my mind dealt with it's memory of my trauma. It sounds silly, but I was so proud of myself for a drive to the grocery store!

Compassion and empathy are very attractive traits. Don't lose them too early. It's what makes us human.

Now, back to cherrrleadin'

Back