All-Star 4-year-old Cheerleader To Be...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Seeing this thread makes me sad because tiny teams are becoming bigger in the uk and while cute I am quite worried of burnout and injury particularly because a lot of programmes don't have a sprung floor let alone their own gym which can make it a bit more dangerous also as I have found out it is now even harder for over 16 with not much experience to make teams as so many are starting cheer from a young age now the quality of youth 1 at nationals with amazing walk overs and round off with good technique was great

That's awesome news! CP learned hers really young and is currently applying for college. I will have to make sure she adds something to her essay about the age she learned her backhandsprings!!! Woo hoo! I can feel that full scholarship already! </sarcasm>

Seriously though...anyone doing cheer solely for the potential of a future scholarship needs some basic financial guidance.
One of the mean girls from cp's former school, got that? Well, her mom has said that mean girl has to get a cheer scholarship. Mean girl can tumble some, but she has trouble learning words and motions for cheers. But, mean girl won't be getting any academic scholarships so I guess she can put all her eggs in that one cheery basket.

I forgot to say, another tiny cheer class mom told me that it's important that they learn BHS as young as possible, because then the child is more likely to end up with a college cheer scholarship. I just nodded and smiled. :D

WOW! I've heard some weird comments but that...eeh...that's a topper!

Seeing this thread makes me sad because tiny teams are becoming bigger in the uk and while cute I am quite worried of burnout and injury particularly because a lot of programmes don't have a sprung floor let alone their own gym which can make it a bit more dangerous also as I have found out it is now even harder for over 16 with not much experience to make teams as so many are starting cheer from a young age now the quality of youth 1 at nationals with amazing walk overs and round off with good technique was great

Helen, I agree with you on the Tiny teams and higher potential of burnout and injury... My question, what is the training like in the UK for the Tiny and I heard that in the UK the typical team ages are not the same as USA... Is the Tiny team ages the same as USA or what is the Tiny team ages for UK? Do the UK have Mini teams?

I actually need you to elaborate more on the other parts of your post - I am having a hard time understanding the parts about the 16 year old and Youth 1 teams in the UK... Thanks!

Maybe she'll tell me some other words of wisdom next week... I'm still a newbie so always keen to learn. ;)

Have fun with her ;p Arms length...arms length. I think the worst I've ever been personally told was from a fellow mom who said she put her daughter in competitive cheer so that she wouldn't get 'fat'. Her daughter is on the more muscular side (like my youngest) but mama is huge weight conscious, and sadly, it's spilled over big time.

Seriously though...anyone doing cheer solely for the potential of a future scholarship needs some basic financial guidance.

It takes everything in my soul not to laugh when people mention the "full ride" they want Suzie to have because of cheerleading.

Where will she be trying out? Unicorn State?

(In all seriousness, I was unaware that cheer was supposed to pay my FULL college expenses. Can someone call Sallie Mae and get her straightened out?)

It takes everything in my soul not to laugh when people mention the "full ride" they want Suzie to have because of cheerleading.

(In all seriousness, I was unaware that cheer was supposed to pay my FULL college expenses. Can someone call Sallie Mae and get her straightened out?)
But, they have the rainbow uniforms complete with the pot of gold!

Sarcasm Warning-

I already had that conversation with my daughter about college and we agree that she will get a full basketball scholarship and do cheerleading on the off season... Yup, Watch!

I thought that the girl had a life threatening illness? :( Wasn't it her cp that SMOED was trying to raise money and awareness for?
No those are completely different people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, that's what she said. She said something like "She can go to college, be on the cheer team, getting everything paid for, perfect!"

I don't know (yet) how scholarships work. Would being on a college cheer team pay SOME expenses?

Honestly, that's what she said. She said something like "She can go to college, be on the cheer team, getting everything paid for, perfect!"

I don't know (yet) how scholarships work. Would being on a college cheer team pay SOME expenses?
Sometimes it gets you in state.... Other times you get a $500-1000 scholarship for books, and usually uniform and such is covered. But none of that is guaranteed. If you really are aiming for scholarships it would be wayyyy more beneficial to focus on academics.

Back