All-Star 4-year-old Cheerleader To Be...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sometimes it gets you in state.... Other times you get a $500-1000 scholarship for books, and usually uniform and such is covered. But none of that is guaranteed. If you really are aiming for scholarships it would be wayyyy more beneficial to focus on academics.

Oh ok. I was just curious. And yeah if I could choose between my kids being great at cheer or great at academics I know which one I would choose... BOTH of course! :p

It takes everything in my soul not to laugh when people mention the "full ride" they want Suzie to have because of cheerleading.

Where will she be trying out? Unicorn State?

(In all seriousness, I was unaware that cheer was supposed to pay my FULL college expenses. Can someone call Sallie Mae and get her straightened out?)
May not be a full ride but depending on school can have some advantages.

Honestly, that's what she said. She said something like "She can go to college, be on the cheer team, getting everything paid for, perfect!"

I don't know (yet) how scholarships work. Would being on a college cheer team pay SOME expenses?

IT VARIES GREATLY FROM SCHOOL TO SCHOOL.

School A might award in-state tuition for out-of-state applicants.

School B might award room and board only.

School C might award a book scholarship.

School D might cover only the costs of being on the team (e.g. uniform, travel, shoes, etc.)

When we're talking college, every little bit helps, but no one is getting D1A football player level scholarships for it! There are VERY few schools awarding full tuition anything for cheer.

Oh ok. I was just curious! And yeah if I could choose between them being great at cheer or great at academics I know which one I would choose... BOTH of course! :p
Haha I hope you don't think I meant YOU, it was more of a hypothetical you towards the crazy parents trying to push their kids toward scholarships from the day they take their first steps!

Haha I hope you don't think I meant YOU, it was more of a hypothetical you towards the crazy parents trying to push their kids toward scholarships from the day they take their first steps!

I didn't think you meant me! But I want to clarify just in case anyone else thinks that this is now my new goal. It's not!

Last edited:
May not be a full ride but depending on school can have some advantages.

Sure. I got books for cheer and that was a HUGE help. I just work in guidance so I HATE the idea of any parent thinking that ANY sport is going to fund a child's ENTIRE higher education.

Ex: If I hear "Well, Billy is going to play Division 1 baseball/football/soccer..." in a parent meeting one more time...

@oncecoolcoachnowmom - Not gonna lie, I'm sure there has been a fair amount of abselfies, but more often, they either get pulled to fill in on a random team practice or they would watch and want a skill and practice it.
I try to remind them what they're there for, but when teens visit someplace with their besties, socializing will happen. Beats the street corner.
The street corner?

Sure. I got books for cheer and that was a HUGE help. I just work in guidance so I HATE the idea of any parent thinking that ANY sport is going to fund a child's ENTIRE higher education.

Ex: If I hear "Well, Billy is going to play Division 1 baseball/football/soccer..." in a parent meeting one more time...
So you mean it is unreasonable for me to think CP is getting a full ride to Louisville for cheer and TG hiring him after to do all their choreography and give him their gym?

Helen, I agree with you on the Tiny teams and higher potential of burnout and injury... My question, what is the training like in the UK for the Tiny and I heard that in the UK the typical team ages are not the same as USA... Is the Tiny team ages the same as USA or what is the Tiny team ages for UK? Do the UK have Mini teams?

I actually need you to elaborate more on the other parts of your post - I am having a hard time understanding the parts about the 16 year old and Youth 1 teams in the UK... Thanks!

The age divisions for all the major EP's in the uk are exactly the same with exception to no age cap on senior and open level for all levels. It really depends on the gym in regards to tiny training I know of around 3 teams in the country with competitive tiny teams most ever have fun classes or in the mini division but I suspect tiny teams will grow in the next few years as cheer is becoming wider known. Mini teams are quite big but only mini 1 I don't know of any mini 2.

When I say about 16 year bit is now the uk has so many younger athletes growing up through cheer and gaining all around skills and progressing to senior with level 3-4 skills it is making it harder for older kids to find a team as with quite a few teams it is you make the team or you can't cheer there at all as there are limited classes for 16 years up. This in previous years the uk has been known for older senior teams and it is sad how older kids who find the love for cheer through university can't find a place to cheer that easily. I have been to three programmes and have been cut at tryouts each time as even though I'm a good stunted I can't tumble well due to a back injury so not much use to max out the score sheet though one place has offered an alternative which is good. More and more programmes are using younger athletes and as amazing juniors come up older seniors sometimes have to move down a level or step out

So you mean it is unreasonable for me to think CP is getting a full ride to Louisville for cheer and TG hiring him after to do all their choreography and give him their gym?

Haha! Dream big.

Also reminds me of the YouTube/Instagram vids of 4 and 5 year olds doing BHSs and "stunting" with their parents/older siblings/older kids at the gym with the tags #futuresmoed #futurecheetah #futurecards #futureshootingstars.

Your kid can't even spell Smoed yet and you have her as a member of their 2022 Worlds team?

Oh honey.

Haha! Dream big.

Also reminds me of the YouTube/Instagram vids of 4 and 5 year olds doing BHSs and "stunting" with their parents/older siblings/older kids at the gym with the tags #futuresmoed #futurecheetah #futurecards #futureshootingstars.

Your kid can't even spell Smoed yet and you have her as a member of their 2022 Worlds team?

Oh honey.
Wait, you're saying those videos are wrong and I shouldn't be doing that?

Back