High School Advanced Stunts With Only 7 Girls

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 29, 2012
I'm in desperate need of a release transition within an extended stunt that only involves 7 girls and a two or 3 skill basket toss! I know there is the kick twist, but my flyer is still hesitant on doing her twist so I'm afraid adding another skill will freak her out. She's not my normal flyer so this is very new to her. I can't for the life of me come up with a three skill toss that one could do. As far as the release goes, we can do a tic tock but I am now short a girl so we can no longer do the prep w/ spotter to brace the stunt. I'm at a loss. I appreciate any help. Thanks

Some cool two skill baskets: kick kick arch, ball twist, twist toe touch, ball x-out, and double twists.

For release stunts, if you want a pyramid, you can have a stunt group of four then a no-backspot prep. One option is to have both of the flyers face each other and grab arms, so the full stunt group can toss their flyer and have her ball, toe touch, etc and it's still legal. Another option is for one flyer to be in front of the other, facing the same direction with the full group in front. The back flyer in a prep with front flyer in a smush. Front flyer puts her arms down behind her and back flyer grabs them, and full group tosses flyer for a front flip inversion.

You can do a shoulder stand or single base with a spot instead of a prep. You can also do release stunts with a shoulder sit and you don't need a back spot. But you would almost need a "tall" shoulder sit and a "short" extended stunt.

I too have wondered what three skill tosses you can do besides a kick, kick, full since the new rubric came out. I'll be at a comp this weekend and I'll let you know if I see anything.

You can do a shoulder stand or single base with a spot instead of a prep. You can also do release stunts with a shoulder sit and you don't need a back spot. But you would almost need a "tall" shoulder sit and a "short" extended stunt.

I too have wondered what three skill tosses you can do besides a kick, kick, full since the new rubric came out. I'll be at a comp this weekend and I'll let you know if I see anything.
I have a tall shoulder sit, but my flyer for the tic toc is tall too. I didn't know if a shoulder stand with backspot could be a bracer for a release stunt. I can't find any clarification in the NFHS rules.
Yes, please let me know if you see any three skill tosses. The new rubric seems to work against any teams that don't have at least 12 on their team. : (

On page 23 of the NFHS rule book under article 7 are all the specifications of release stunts for pyramids. It does say in letter c that the bracers have to have spotters but it doesn't specify that the braver must be in an elevator prep. (In the braced flipping section for pyramids it does specify.) in my experience as in IHSA official shoulder stands and single base preps are ok as long as they have a spotter.

Looking at the page though reminded me you could do a single base tic tock depending on your girls of course. :)

On page 23 of the NFHS rule book under article 7 are all the specifications of release stunts for pyramids. It does say in letter c that the bracers have to have spotters but it doesn't specify that the braver must be in an elevator prep. (In the braced flipping section for pyramids it does specify.) in my experience as in IHSA official shoulder stands and single base preps are ok as long as they have a spotter.

Looking at the page though reminded me you could do a single base tic tock depending on your girls of course. :)
Exactly it doesn't say what type of stunt they have to be in except that it must have a backspot. But I do know shoulder sits can be bracers that don't have to have backspots. We may try a single base tic tock, that would solve the problem and boy would our difficulty increase too. We will be competing ICCA and due to schedule will only have one shot at qualifying so I hate to do an illegal skill and it cost us a chance at going to state for the first time ever.
Thank you so much!!

I can double check with the other officials but I'm 100% sure that you can do either of those with a back spot. I understand your nervousness though :) You can go to the ICCA website and get Mickey or Camille's email and ask them to assure yourself. :) You can even pull them aside at the Coach's Meeting and they'll watch your team do it.

Where do you coach? Which ICCA comp are you going to? I'm going to Lincoln Way North this weekend, I'm so excited to see what creative inversions everyone comes up with!

I hadn't thought about it but yes the rubric is hard to max out with only 7 girls! :( I will bring that up at the next spirit officials meeting. I think that if you are small varsity with 12 girls you have an advantage over everyone else, one braced flip pyramid and you're in the 9 - 10 range....hmmm not cool!

I can double check with the other officials but I'm 100% sure that you can do either of those with a back spot. I understand your nervousness though :) You can go to the ICCA website and get Mickey or Camille's email and ask them to assure yourself. :) You can even pull them aside at the Coach's Meeting and they'll watch your team do it.

Where do you coach? Which ICCA comp are you going to? I'm going to Lincoln Way North this weekend, I'm so excited to see what creative inversions everyone comes up with!

I hadn't thought about it but yes the rubric is hard to max out with only 7 girls! :( I will bring that up at the next spirit officials meeting. I think that if you are small varsity with 12 girls you have an advantage over everyone else, one braced flip pyramid and you're in the 9 - 10 range....hmmm not cool!
Yes please let me know what the others say. We could definitely do the shoulder stand with backspot.
I coach Morrisonville High School, it's our first year ever competing but I have a long history with ICCA so it's near and dear to me. We are hoping to go to the Bloomington one in Jan. (if we can get everything perfected in time) but definitely the Mt. Vernon one.
It is really hard for a squad smaller than 12 to max out, wish they took size in consideration like using the least amount of bases for stunts. Or even creative stunts cause we have one of those. Lol hoping that our squad grows next year, but it's a small small small school who just doesn't have a great track record (yet) for cheerleading. Thank you so much! You are an angel.

I have to say the scoresheet is not in favor of small teams! I only have a team of 10 (last year we were 8) and can't do an inversions in pyramid. We have to compete medium varsity and are always up against teams twice our size. It's hard because visually, we can never compete w them, and when we can't do the same type of pyramids, obviously we are at less of an advantage. We always put a ton of difficulty everywhere else so that we can try to even out the score, but I won't lie, it gets tougher every year! :)

Yes please let me know what the others say. We could definitely do the shoulder stand with backspot.
I coach Morrisonville High School, it's our first year ever competing but I have a long history with ICCA so it's near and dear to me. We are hoping to go to the Bloomington one in Jan. (if we can get everything perfected in time) but definitely the Mt. Vernon one.
It is really hard for a squad smaller than 12 to max out, wish they took size in consideration like using the least amount of bases for stunts. Or even creative stunts cause we have one of those. Lol hoping that our squad grows next year, but it's a small small small school who just doesn't have a great track record (yet) for cheerleading. Thank you so much! You are an angel.

I checked and yes it is legal to have a shoulder stand with a back spot for transitions.

Also, of all the teams I saw today they all did hitch kick full or kick kick fulls. Not one team did another three skill basket :( I was not impressed by their I corp of inversions either, I think one team used them to their potential.

I checked and yes it is legal to have a shoulder stand with a back spot for transitions.

Also, of all the teams I saw today they all did hitch kick full or kick kick fulls. Not one team did another three skill basket :( I was not impressed by their I corp of inversions either, I think one team used them to their potential.
Awesome!! Thank you so much. This helps us out a lot. :)

Back