Advice For Mental Blocks

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

cheermom02

Cheer Parent
Jan 3, 2014
My daughter has been going through a block for a couple months now. She won't throw her tucks or layouts consistantly. She hasn't fallen or gotten hurt. I have tried not to say anything to her about it bc I know she is trying but I get frustrated with her. I used to love watching her tumble but now I don't even watch bc it's to nerve racking. Any help or advice?

I used to go through the same thing with my tumbling. One day my tumbling coach tried a " if you don't the I it you're off the team" approach. (I didn't cheer for the gym I cheered at a competitive high school) I knew that what he said didn't matter but I took it seriously and got over my block. He had to keep telling me I was capable of doing what he asked bc it's about doubting your ability and knowing you can get really hurt if you mess up. Once she realizes that she has this skill solid and just does it the block remains. Also my mom told me to stand in the corner of the mat close my eyes and see myself do it perfectly and then open my eyes and go for it. It helped a bunch! I now pass this tactic on to my athletes at my gym.

my advice would be to think about your team . try not to think about what might happen or something is going to go wrong because your just going to freak your self out .

also try to do things to work towards your tumbling like conditioning or exercises your coaches tell you to do

I had a mental block before and the number one thing that helped me was going back and not just relearning but getting a true understanding of how to tumble and body control. I went from a just throw it approach to a do this, this and this and the result will be this. After I switched to that way if thinking my tumbling block went away and I could improve much faster since I had a better understanding of tumbling. I guess all I needed to know is how I was actually doing a skill. Also would focus on front tumbling just to take some stress of learning just one skill.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

She has been doing better lately and said she is ready to be put back in her tumbling pass in the routine. This makes me super nervous that the stress of it will bring the block back. I am trying to stay out of it and let her coaches handle it but it's hard. I guess only time will tell if she is ready or not. Fingers crossed!

My coaches usually aren't too positive with getting new skills and then being scared to do them so you feel really alone and that's usually the reason I can't do something because if I do it I only get my encouragement whereas if I don't do it I beat myself up as well as the coaches get angry too. So my advice would be don't listen to what anyone else is saying no matter who they are if its negative and keep your thoughts positive and just know what you can do and do it!

Many mental blocks about throwing a new skill tend to come from lack of confidence stemming from not having body awareness or understanding the technique. Mental blocks on throwing skills that an athlete has been throwing for a while usually have nothing to do with tumbling and are the result of something completely different.

Tonight was her first practice back in tumbling. They didn't do much but she was told she will be in another tumbling pass in addition to what she was doing today. She says she is ready and not nervous so I'm trying to just back off and let her do her thing. Hoping all goes well! They have a competition this weekend so yeah I'm nervous.

Definitely check out fortheloveoftumbling.com. There's great advice on there from one of the top coaches in the nation and I know it's helped hundreds to thousands of athletes.

Back