All-Star Advice To Gym Moms....

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Thank you, at least, for the apology.
I didn't find your post condescending or offensive so much as naive. A huge number of cheer parents have no earthly clue how "the other half" lives. I'm sure this is way more info than you care to have about my personal life, but let me briefly explain that my household bills get paid, groceries get purchased. Beyond that, my kids have more cheer clothes than any other type of clothes because they're either hand-me-downs, freebies from comps, or I had a fundraising credit on my daughter's account, which I chose to use for cheer wear. I work very, very late nights doing very, very menial work, just so my kids can do what they love to do. I don't mean that this is their hobby, I mean that this is their life. Therefore, it's mine too. Being able to purchase an iPad, for our family, would be the ultimate luxury. I read books - sure they're heavy, but it's free to borrow them from the library. I can't afford a Netflix subscription, but I'm not ashamed to say we bootleg the heck out of movies. I can't afford much, outside of what I can fundraise for at the gym. I can't build a "cheer room" in my home. I can't even replace my son's Nfinities that were stolen at the gym. But I will be there. Every possible moment that I can. For every skill, for every fall, for every smile, for every second that they love this, and for every second they don't.
I've had conversations with my friend, Stephanie, about the fact that our kids didn't make it to level 5 because of what they have. It was in spite of what they didn't have that got them there. Tenacity, theirs and ours, strength, theirs and ours, and drive, theirs and ours, made our kids who and what they are.

Right on. It's all about being the best we can be to our children.

My mom doesn't do this, but to the parents who stay and watch their children, it is very distracting when I know I have at least 50 moms crowded around the glass watching practice. I feel like the main attraction at a zoo and all of the little kids are practically on top of each other trying to see. Go home, read a book, go out to dinner, blink, but do something other than stare with wide eyes into the gym.

My mom doesn't do this, but to the parents who stay and watch their children, it is very distracting when I know I have at least 50 moms crowded around the glass watching practice. I feel like the main attraction at a zoo and all of the little kids are practically on top of each other trying to see. Go home, read a book, go out to dinner, blink, but do something other than stare with wide eyes into the gym.

For the first time CAC blocked the windows at tryouts this year. The kids LOVED it. Funny!

I know I'm not a mom, but I'll be starting my third season of cheer when I move to Texas and I think it's important (this could just be me being overemotional) to not yell at your child about competitions/privates/practices. I seriously considered quitting after my first season because my mom was so fed up with the commitment and the driving and the competition waiting around. I just felt like I was burdening her and it made it a lot more miserable/way less fun for me.

Of course, this is from a teen's perspective, and a mom might have a very different one. It was just very discouraging!

Of course, this is from a teen's perspective, and a mom might have a very different one. It was just very discouraging!

I'm glad you said this. Last season, I quit smoking right before competition season and added a Mini to the mix and was not very nice about all the extra time, the earlier mornings and having to learn how to do curls instead of Pony Tails, etc. I made a solemn oath to myself to stop telling them how much time and money I was spending on all of it, because I know it got frustrating to my girls. Thanks for the reminder....I'm already getting a bit out of sorts with the added practices etc, and I need to remember this.

I'm glad you said this. Last season, I quit smoking right before competition season and added a Mini to the mix and was not very nice about all the extra time, the earlier mornings and having to learn how to do curls instead of Pony Tails, etc. I made a solemn oath to myself to stop telling them how much time and money I was spending on all of it, because I know it got frustrating to my girls. Thanks for the reminder....I'm already getting a bit out of sorts with the added practices etc, and I need to remember this.
Well I'm glad I could help! I hope this season goes more smoothly for you. :) Good luck!

As a former cheerleader and now young adult- remember who this is about. So often parents get caught up in the push for new skills, the drama, and improvement. But remember that this sport is about, for, and done by your child. Yes, it's great to be involved, and that can totally make it for you CP...but the absolute worst thing you can do is push or meddle. You will push CP away if you do.

You'd like our flight crew...we patented absolutelyfrickinbananas! I'm loving that term by the way.
If my memory serves me you're from Aviator Allstars...? I saw you guys in Myrtle Beach and one of the things me and my mom talked about was how great your dads are. I love the shirts that say "Sign Guy" and "Flag Guy." I really really love the flags, they give a very dominating entrance. Thank you! Absofrickenloutely bananas is one of my favorite expression

If my memory serves me you're from Aviator Allstars...? I saw you guys in Myrtle Beach and one of the things me and my mom talked about was how great your dads are. I love the shirts that say "Sign Guy" and "Flag Guy." I really really love the flags, they give a very dominating entrance. Thank you! Absofrickenloutely bananas is one of my favorite expression
I like "sign guy" too....I'm married to him :D

I don't see how buying an iPad is condescending, but then I again I don't view the world in that manner. My advice on the iPad was leaning towards the fact that you don't have to carry big books around, and that it's convenient because if you get sick of reading you you can watch Netflix. Once again, sorry to offend anyone with that advice, I was being genuine and didn't realize that everything anyone says on here will be viewed in a negative manner and used against you.

At the gym we spent 5 years at practices were closed, meaning we couldn't even go in the lobby.

I try to be logical and helpful and I can't even deal with this.

I'm no newbie so we can't use that excuse.
I LOVE my ipad! I can read 50 Shades of Grey with out anyone in the gym knowing. It is not healthy to be glued to the gym but I definitely don't abide by the drop and shop ideology either. Stay in the loop, encourage and support your child but if you can see your breath on the observation window...you may want to take a step away!

Back