OT Bring It!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Sep 4, 2014
I was wondering, I have been watching this program Bring It! It is about a battling dance group out of Jackson, Mississippi, who is lead by Dianne Williams. This dance group are made up of primarily African-Americans girls, but the second season of the show, it was very apparent that the show tried hard to bring in a more diverse group of girls at the tryouts. The girls in the dance group all, if not most have limited formal dance training. I wanted to know if anyone else is watching this program and what are your thoughts on this show and the format?

Can't wait for season 2! I really don't want Kayla to leave, though.

The studios down there are like private dance/majorette/step studios. I'm not quite sure how to describe it, it's a mixture of hip-hop and African tribal dance. Very difficult.

I think a more diverse group was brought in for marketing purposes, so that a larger demographic can relate to the show.

Can't wait for season 2! I really don't want Kayla to leave, though.

Season 2 started already... I think they already showed 3 or 4 shows with competitions. Kayla is still on the show and she is still the Captain, but what they are showing more is how the team is losing more battles and the focus on how the girls are preparing for the battles and how competitive the other teams are...

Season 2 started already... I think they already showed 3 or 4 shows with competitions. Kayla is still on the show and she is still the Captain, but what they are showing more is how the team is losing more battles and the focus on how the girls are preparing for the battles and how competitive the other teams are...
Ah, thanks for telling me (I don't have cable so I only watch YouTube clips). Kayla will be graduating soon, though.

I love this show!!! The moms are crazy, Coach Diana is awesome! My husband thinks I am nuts when I watch it, but he and my older kids have all watched it on occasion. It's hard not to get sucked into it! I love the dancing and it looks so difficult.

Don't care for any reality TV that sensationalizes kids activities. This, dance moms, cheer perfection. ect are all the same show with different wrapping. That said, from what little I have seen I don't care for the style of dance. The trained dancer in me cringes at the bad technique, and it is all over the place. Toes not pointed, poor or nonexistent turnout, bad leaps, bad landings, poor body awareness. They have it all. I also think some of what they do is inappropriate for their age.

Tbh, it seems like the first season was more authentic then this season... lately, it seems like a lot of the drama is blatantly scripted, particularly between the Parents...

Another thing, I am still trying to figure out is why the Moms need or even want to sit outside the dance studio peeking through the windows. What is the point of that? At least with Dance Mom, the Moms are nicely perched in the balcony area, but these Moms are outside in the element...

PS: I predict that if Bring It! comes back 3rd season... I think, the production crew will have Kayla step up to be the coach and choreographer for the Baby Dolls...Watch!

Last edited:
Don't care for any reality TV that sensationalizes kids activities. This, dance moms, cheer perfection. ect are all the same show with different wrapping. That said, from what little I have seen I don't care for the style of dance. The trained dancer in me cringes at the bad technique, and it is all over the place. Toes not pointed, poor or nonexistent turnout, bad leaps, bad landings, poor body awareness. They have it all. I also think some of what they do is inappropriate for their age.

I totally agree with the inexperience dance training aspect of the program and I think that might be the major attraction to this program, it is a contrast to the Dance Moms programming and constant belittling of the dancers at the hand of the Instructor (Ms. Abby) and why I like it...

Many of the children in the program only experience with dance is this dance studio and many started late in life--like 12 or 13. Ms. Dianne seems to be telling and encouraging the girls, if they want to dance they can do it and in my opinion, this is a style more like street dancing that is raw, but like Hip-Hop will be refined and evolve over time...

I agree with the pointed toes in their jumps and the bad tumbling form. And the bucking (and a lot of the costumes) strike me as too inappropriate.

I totally agree with the inexperience dance training aspect of the program and I think that might be the major attraction to this program, it is a contrast to the Dance Moms programming and constant belittling of the dancers at the hand of the Instructor (Ms. Abby) and why I like it...

Many of the children in the program only experience with dance is this dance studio and many started late in life--like 12 or 13. Ms. Dianne seems to be telling and encouraging the girls, if they want to dance they can do it and in my opinion, this is a style more like street dancing that is raw, but like Hip-Hop will be refined and evolve over time...
I don't like the way she talks to the kids any better that Abby sometimes. I think some of it is unnecessary. This style has been around a LONG time in the Jackson/ Memphis area and other cities in the south, pretty much as long as hip hop, and the technique is still bad. I don't consider it "street" dancing at all. It is really closer to marching band "dance lines" which are different than more classically trained "dance teams". They use similar costumes, steps, formations, and team setups to dance lines, and a similar level of actual dance technique.

I don't like the way she talks to the kids any better that Abby sometimes. I think some of it is unnecessary. This style has been around a LONG time in the Jackson/ Memphis area and other cities in the south, pretty much as long as hip hop, and the technique is still bad. I don't consider it "street" dancing at all. It is really closer to marching band "dance lines" which are different than more classically trained "dance teams". They use similar costumes, steps, formations, and team setups to dance lines, and a similar level of actual dance technique.

Yes, you are right it is call Majorette strutting (I think) and you see many of the HBCU bands doing this style of stepping and dancing... Miss Dianne yells at the girls, but in the end of the show, we know, the girls know and the Parents know that she is yelling because she cares and see potential in the girls and it is not destructive criticism...

Yes, you are right it is call Majorette strutting (I think) and you see many of the HBCU bands doing this style of stepping and dancing... Miss Dianne yells at the girls, but in the end of the show, we know, the girls know and the Parents know that she is yelling because she cares and see potential in the girls and it is not destructive criticism...

We call them dance lines here, but I think the terminology varies widely across the south. I have heard "dance line", "drill line", "dance girls", and "majorette strut" used in various areas.

I don't know, I just don't see the way she treats them as much different than Abby. My CP's dance teacher is worlds different, and so are her cheer coaches. I just don't like the yelling, screaming, angry style of coaching I guess.

I do not know, if it is a cultural thing... But Dianne's style of discipline is a world different from Abby... For example, in one of the episode, she was yelling at Sunjai about the stand battle and putting some pressure on her to do it... In pass episodes, Dianne never put pressure on Sunjai, she normally just cut her and it is over... But she allowed Sunjai to beg Kayla to help her and put her on the stand battle even after being cut initially... Dianne knew Sunjai could do it and she pushed her until she did it herself....

I think this 2nd season is showing the more family like atmosphere of the dance studio... Another example, this season, she allow Sunjai to miss a competition to attend her Prom and Kayla to miss an important practice before a competition so she can go to her Prom...If I had to choose a great motivator of the 2 coaches - Miss Dianne's style wins out over Abby's...

I do not know, if it is a cultural thing... But Dianne's style of discipline is a world different from Abby... For example, in one of the episode, she was yelling at Sunjai about the stand battle and putting some pressure on her to do it... In pass episodes, Dianne never put pressure on Sunjai, she normally just cut her and it is over... But she allowed Sunjai to beg Kayla to help her and put her on the stand battle even after being cut initially... Dianne knew Sunjai could do it and she pushed her until she did it herself....

I think this 2nd season is showing the more family like atmosphere of the dance studio... Another example, this season, she allow Sunjai to miss a competition to attend her Prom and Kayla to miss an important practice before a competition so she can go to her Prom...If I had to choose a great motivator of the 2 coaches - Miss Dianne's style wins out over Abby's...
I'm not making any excuses for Abby, but formal dance can give a person a professional career. As far as I know, there is no professional route for majorette strutting. When participating in something that can enable you to go professional and you are extremely skilled and committed to it, you have to make tough decisions early in life. Normal childhood or training 25-40 hrs a week? Normal schooling or homeschooling? Majorette strutting can take you to college, which fits more easily into a normal life path.

Back