OT Bring It!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
I don't know any of the children there, but a majority of them probably don't want to be professional dancers. It's probably just a program for them to do to keep them active and off the street. Which are all positive things regardless if they have technique.

And as for the dancing, doesn't really bother me, judging a few competitions this year, I see the exact same movements.

I don't know any of the children there, but a majority of them probably don't want to be professional dancers. It's probably just a program for them to do to keep them active and off the street. Which are all positive things regardless if they have technique.

And as for the dancing, doesn't really bother me, judging a few competitions this year, I see the exact same movements.
No, I don't think the majority of them want to dance outside that style, but the instructor is pushing one or more of them toward dance majors and professional dance. That's where the conversation about wether it is a realistic idea came from.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I hope I don't come off of this as harsh... But you're facts are wrong.

Ms. Diana has a full blown dance studio. All of the girls have formal training. This isn't a dance group where Ms. D just takes anyone and just because she wants African American girls to have something to do in their lives. These dancers wants to become professional dancers in some aspect. Camryn for an example, tries out of this classical performance arts school every year. She has formal training. So do a lot of girls in there.

Kayla, she wants to dance in college and get a degree in dance become a dance teacher. These people have goals. Many people take this show out of context. Their color of their skin doesn't mean a thing! Many people are upset with *That white girl* being on the team. What upsets me, is that Ms. D doesn't care about color. She cares if you can dance. *That white girl* has a name. People should use it, and stop calling her *That white girl*.

While these girls may love this team, they do take other classes to help them go down the career path they want. Just saying!

I hope I don't come off of this as harsh... But you're facts are wrong.

Ms. Diana has a full blown dance studio. All of the girls have formal training. This isn't a dance group where Ms. D just takes anyone and just because she wants African American girls to have something to do in their lives. These dancers wants to become professional dancers in some aspect. Camryn for an example, tries out of this classical performance arts school every year. She has formal training. So do a lot of girls in there.

Kayla, she wants to dance in college and get a degree in dance become a dance teacher. These people have goals. Many people take this show out of context. Their color of their skin doesn't mean a thing! Many people are upset with *That white girl* being on the team. What upsets me, is that Ms. D doesn't care about color. She cares if you can dance. *That white girl* has a name. People should use it, and stop calling her *That white girl*.

While these girls may love this team, they do take other classes to help them go down the career path they want. Just saying!
Then what's her name. You just called her "that white girl" 3 times while telling us not to call her that?

I watched this last night. I really just can't understand the dance style. It looks like something you'd do at a club, not a competition. I'm also confused how they gave glory to God and danced in his name and then went on the floor and practically twerked. I can 100% appreciate hip hop, but I just can't find where any sort of technique comes into this type of dance.

I might just be a sheltered northerner. This is NOT a thing up here in MD.

I totally understand what you mean. However, in a lot of cultures the style of dancing they do isn't seen as provocatively as it would be in other cultures.
For example, they dance like this in front of their fathers. Would your father let you dance like this competitively? It's all a cultural thing I guess.

I totally understand what you mean. However, in a lot of cultures the style of dancing they do isn't seen as provocatively as it would be in other cultures.
For example, they dance like this in front of their fathers. Would your father let you dance like this competitively? It's all a cultural thing I guess.
My first response to this was "aren't we members of the same culture?!" but then I took a step back. We're learning about different cultures in one of my grad classes and how they go so much deeper than "American," "Chinese," "Indian" etc. You're right, I live a sheltered northern suburban life and the culture of blacks in the south is probably completely different. I can accept that this is acceptable, but I still can't understand it.

I guess that's what makes the world interesting. :)

My first response to this was "aren't we members of the same culture?!" but then I took a step back. We're learning about different cultures in one of my grad classes and how they go so much deeper than "American," "Chinese," "Indian" etc. You're right, I live a sheltered northern suburban life and the culture of blacks in the south is probably completely different. I can accept that this is acceptable, but I still can't understand it.

I'm sorry I didn't mean for you to take offense to anything I wrote! There's just so many subcultures and everything is a litle bit different in each of them y'know?

TBH my family is part of a culture w/ dancing similar to this and I'm still not completely comfortable with it.

TBH my family is part of a culture w/ dancing similar to this and I'm still not completely comfortable with it.

I'm black and southern and people in my family would never.

So while I have nothing against that style of dance, it's nothing that I personally would partake in. I can pretty much guarantee that my parents would have never signed any of us up for their team

Actually, when I watch the girls doing the Stand battles on 'Bring It!' It reminds me and it looks a lot the African dancers you see doing tribal ceremonial dancing. I quite enjoy watching this program because I have seen this style of dancing and it was always done and called African dancers and a dance group, which I mentioned in the past, Alvin Ailey Dancer out of Harlem, NY does it, but many of their dancers are also trained in other genres - Ballet, etc...

I noticed on this thread many posters are saying they do not see these girls having dance careers, but what I know, many of the well-known African-American dance companies, such as Alvin Ailey's got their start because Prima ballerinas of color (Judith Jamison) were not accepted in the White established dance companies and the first Black Prima Ballerina - Janet Collins in the 1950 was told by many White dance companies that she will have to paint her face White, if she was going to dance for them and she actually, perform with the Met., (not in White face) and now, many years later, there is Misty Coleman (White company Prima-Ballerina) and she stands out so much, but sadly it has taken so long for this to happen...

Serious note: In music for the longest time, we had the classical music snobs and now, even in dance, we have the ballet snobs... Nothing seems authentic or measure up, unless it fits into the extreme right.--Just saying!​

Last edited:
Back