All-Star Cheer Extreme Questions And Answers From Courtney

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I had the pleasure of hanging out with you, Courtney, and Senior Elite at the UCE Coaches Expo last Fall in DC...is this an event that you will participate in again? You mentioned at the expo that you have a lot of double teamers - Are there any girls on Senior Elite that double team, or is that an exclusive team at the gym?
Also - with all of the changes that are in the works for divisions next season, can we expect to see Cheer Extreme in Small, Medium & Large Senior - or just Small and Large?
We met so many great coaches and athletes at that event so I hope they will have us back. I know it is scheduled for Oct 8-9 and I'm on the slate to speak again. A handful of girls crossed to Junior Elite and one competed on Large Limited so she could fly. We will absolutely be in Large, Medium, and Small senior next season.

Is it true you've steered your athletes away from posting (not necessarily reading) on Fierceboard to avoid unnecessary drama/tension?

I held parent meetings asking people not to post on the old prox board as I thought it got out of hand. I'm not opposed to our kids posting on this board as long as it continues to be regulated ethically.

How many total coaches does CEA have? Including tumbling instructors, etc. I remember the good ole days when it was just you, Ben, Sarah, Chad!
I have never stopped to count so here goes...21 of us all together. Everyone coaches cheerleading as their primary, sole source of income except for 2 who have other daytime employment. Of these 16 are former CEA athletes. PS We are hiring at this time for a full time tumbling coach ( [email protected] )

Why, in the past, has their been so many crossovers on higher level, if not multi-level teams?
Int the future, will you try to limit the amount of crossovers in order to compete at Dallas? Or has Cheersport now become the big national for your program?
Our kids crossover for their own benefit as they seek to discover the limit of their own personal potential. We will be taking at least 5 level teams to NCA this season. We took 6 in 2010. CHEERSPORT has always been a big Nationals for everyone ( it is by far the biggest you know ). There is a great deal of pride and prestige at both events...especially with the teams attending this season.

We train kids individually with the goal of each reaching their own fullest potential in the sport. Since we all coach everyone, I'm sure there is a certain path of goals that each kid sets for themselves...but for us we just want to give each kid the opportunity to completely contribute in every way they are capable.
I have learned so many lessons and continue to with each passing year. Mostly I've learned how to love.
I have a conversation with myself every day at the same stop sign coaching myself to be positive and encouraging above all else. I think all people respond best in an environment of earned reward. I am very straightforward and rarely hold back an opinion. The kids know that if I stop practice to compliment someone I mean it. There is a great book called Beyond Basketball by Coach K of Duke University...it changed the way I coach for the better. Kids have to know you are invested in them completely outside of cheerleading to listen to what you say as a coach and trust you.
PS ( I also use a great deal of analogies and dry sarcasm to get my point across )

i see mstealtoyou is shimmying almost everything i just want a shimmy!

also, if this hasnt already been asked. how many athletes do you have at CEA this year?
We aren't quite done with tryouts to officially answer that question...last year we stayed around 875...I would love to hit 900

First, I saw you were looking into traveling to palm spring. All 16 girls on my senior 4 team would probably die! They are huge fans! This year at nationals one of this girls on our level 4 team pulled out her iPod from her bag so they could crowd around and watch sr elite before they went on. Normally, I would have been like what are you doing?!? You go on I'm 5 minutes and your on your iPod. But it was what inspired them so I let it go. Just thought you like to know! : )

What is a typical day of Sr. Elite practice like from start to finish?

I think my cp might pass out at the possibility of meeting one of her cheer idols! She has loved Maddie since she started competitive cheer two seasons ago! She actually has two now, Maddie and @Level5Mom 's cp...I was putting her practice clothes away and saw she had added to Hailey to her "flyer board" lol

I posted this in the Cheer Athletics thread as well - but here's a question:

Are you concerned about the "gym consolidation" trend, where large programs seem to be assimilating smaller gyms at a fairly rapid rate? Is there a certain point where a program can have too many satellite locations?

We train kids individually with the goal of each reaching their own fullest potential in the sport. Since we all coach everyone, I'm sure there is a certain path of goals that each kid sets for themselves...but for us we just want to give each kid the opportunity to completely contribute in every way they are capable.
I have learned so many lessons and continue to with each passing year. Mostly I've learned how to love.
I have a conversation with myself every day at the same stop sign coaching myself to be positive and encouraging above all else. I think all people respond best in an environment of earned reward. I am very straightforward and rarely hold back an opinion. The kids know that if I stop practice to compliment someone I mean it. There is a great book called Beyond Basketball by Coach K of Duke University...it changed the way I coach for the better. Kids have to know you are invested in them completely outside of cheerleading to listen to what you say as a coach and trust you.

This is absolutely one of my favorite things about you! I know there's no bs and you mean what you say and you stand up for what you believe in!

cupieqt said:
How much sleep do you get? I stay up til at least 1 am every night (mostly later these days) and I'm up by 7 am. Just curious since my family thinks I'm nuts to do this...​
She's a daywalker like me ;)

Back