OT Cheerleader Called "chunky"

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
AGAIN THATS NOT THE POINT. I never said it was wrong of her to have the body she has. I SAID THAT IN THE INDUSTRY SHE IS IN THAT IS THE KIND OF SCRUTINY SHES GOING TO HAVE TO DEAL WITH.

There is a difference.
Im about 99% sure that Ms Williams went into this profession for her love of the sport and love of the people on her team and suddenly that makes her subject to bullying?

But you never know, there's always that 1%:rolleyes:

The only concern with your argument that someone is putting themselves out there in public spotlight and so strangers have a right to comment on a body that is not theirs is then what does that say to all the young cheerleaders. They are putting themselves out there when they participate in a sport that puts them on a mat in front of large crowds in an arena - would that not make them subject to being scrutinized.
Also just because someone has an opinion about it how does it make it proper to share that opinion - especially as a professional journalist or blogger? I think it becomes a slippery slope to say because this woman was a professional cheerleader it is okay for strangers to comment on her body that doing something she loves but happens to be paid for gives others the right to talk about her and objectify her body... your logic that it okay just doesn't make any sense to me.

1. I've said the blogger was wrong. I said the blog didn't need to be written. I never said it was "proper" for her to share her opinion. But as a journalist it was an ethical decision that she made.
2. Your half naked dancing for fans, people commenting on your figure is going to come with the territory. Doesn't mean its right, doesn't mean its wrong. Its just what people are going to do.
3.Professional cheer leading isn't in the same realm as other cheerleading. Allstar, high school, middle, college...is not selling the sexualization of women. At least it shouldn't be.
4. Maybe everyone should just wear pants and cover up their stomachs so the millions of fans at professional sports games can get back to what they're reall there for. The dancing.

Im terrified for the day (and I'm well aware that this day has probably already come) when an incredible sportsperson decides not to take their talent to the next level or go into the sport at all because it suddenly becomes "okay" for them to get bullied. That will be a sad sad day.

Im about 99% sure that Ms Williams went into this profession for her love of the sport and love of the people on her team and suddenly that makes her subject to bullying?

But you never know, there's always that 1%:rolleyes:

Whether she went into the profession for extra money, the love of dance, the enjoyment of performing, and or a genuine love of Oklahoma City Thunder....its not the point. I genuinely don't believe when fans go to the games they're wondering why the dancers are out there. They're wanting to be entertained during half time and time outs. I've already said the blog didn't need to be written, but if fans can't have an opinion of the dancers (whether it be positive "yay i'm entertained" or negative "oh no they're terrible and I don't enjoy looking at them")...maybe they aren't necessary.

Whether she went into the profession for extra money, the love of dance, the enjoyment of performing, and or a genuine love of Oklahoma City Thunder....its not the point. I genuinely don't believe when fans go to the games they're wondering why the dancers are out there. They're wanting to be entertained during half time and time outs. I've already said the blog didn't need to be written, but if fans can't have an opinion of the dancers (whether it be positive "yay i'm entertained" or negative "oh no they're terrible and I don't enjoy looking at them")...maybe they aren't necessary.

A man in the stands says to his friend beside him and the OCT game "Hmm that cheerleader in the middle is a little chunky for that uniform" - One kind of scrutiny (And that's fine, its human)

A journalist writes an article and posts it on the web for everyone to see calling out one single cheerleader, naming her, posting a picture, creates a poll so people can vote on whether or not she belongs on the team or not and calls her chunky and completely humiliating her to her face. - A whole other type of scrutiny. i.e. Bullying

Can you see the difference?

A man in the stands says to his friend beside him and the OCT game "Hmm that cheerleader in the middle is a little chunky for that uniform" - One kind of scrutiny (And that's fine, its human)

A journalist writes an article and posts it on the web for everyone to see calling out one single cheerleader, naming her, posting a picture, creates a poll so people can vote on whether or not she belongs on the team or not and calls her chunky and completely humiliating her to her face. - A whole other type of scrutiny. i.e. Bullying

Can you see the difference?

I've said repeatedly that the blogger was wrong. But like you pointed out. Whether it be the coaches, your teammates, your fan, or a hating blogger that had a failed audition for a semi pro sports team; you've (a person in this industry) got to understand, you've got to be prepared, and you've got to realize that the scrutiny is going to be there in some shape form or fashion. And you've got to be able to handle it We saw the girl back in Feb. that was a former cheerleader for Green Bay, she got called ugly, now this girl is chunky. They both turned it in to a platform of support and acknowledged that this kind of scrutiny comes along with it...and I'm sure they're going to be stronger women for it. But to deny its there and not be able to face it. In the long run that is senseless.

I've said repeatedly that the blogger was wrong. But like you pointed out. Whether it be the coaches, your teammates, your fan, or a hating blogger that had a failed audition for a semi pro sports team; you've (a person in this industry) got to understand, you've got to be prepared, and you've got to realize that the scrutiny is going to be there in some shape form or fashion. And you've got to be able to handle it We saw the girl back in Feb. that was a former cheerleader for Green Bay, she got called ugly, now this girl is chunky. They both turned it in to a platform of support and acknowledged that this kind of scrutiny comes along with it...and I'm sure they're going to be stronger women for it. But to deny its there and not be able to face it. In the long run that is senseless.
I don't think anyone has denied that its there.
That doesn't mean you have to face it.

I agree with everything you said here only to add that while agreeing it is the current reality we all have the power to change it so it doesn't have to be that reality for all time. And that's what I hope these platforms become.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

I don't think anyone has denied that its there.
That doesn't mean you have to face it.

I don't mean on this message board. I mean in society as a whole. Its there. Acknowledge it. Deal with it. End of story.

1. I've said the blogger was wrong. I said the blog didn't need to be written. I never said it was "proper" for her to share her opinion. But as a journalist it was an ethical decision that she made.
2. Your half naked dancing for fans, people commenting on your figure is going to come with the territory. Doesn't mean its right, doesn't mean its wrong. Its just what people are going to do.
3.Professional cheer leading isn't in the same realm as other cheerleading. Allstar, high school, middle, college...is not selling the sexualization of women. At least it shouldn't be.
4. Maybe everyone should just wear pants and cover up their stomachs so the millions of fans at professional sports games can get back to what they're reall there for. The dancing.

1)Reply that is great you think the blogger is wrong. My point is you seem to think because she is a professional cheerleader she should be subject to opinions of the public on her body including your opinion posted on this thread. How her middle looks is none of your business you are neither her boss or personal trainer or a concerned family member worried about her health or a friend she asked an opinion of her midsection about.
2)As I tell my children just because other people do something doesn't make it right. Glad you think the blogger was wrong then why did you feel it was right for you to comment about the woman's body??? I think that many people who have commented on your initial post is that not only was the blogger wrong but your comments about her midsection were really uncalled for as well.
3)You stated because she was in the public limelight that she should expect this -- my point is that is a slippery slope to those girls who are required to wear crop tops in All-star cheer that do not have your ideal "toned" midsection.
4)See and I thought the fans were there were for the sports the dancers are a part of a complex marketing system to add money to the owners pockets in the end. But perhaps you are right maybe the dancers should cover up a little more.

I don't mean on this message board. I mean in society as a whole. Its there. Acknowledge it. Deal with it. End of story.
Im not trying to say who or what you are but Im going to guess that this kind of thing has never happened to you.
Its the same for me - I've (luckily) never had anyone close to me have a serious illness or pass away so I can never understand or empathise when someone brings this subject up.
I think if you had had this kind of thing happen to you, then you wouldn't be arguing your point so strongly and have a little more sympathy towards Ms Williams.
Im a bit of a go getter myself. I don't believe we should just have to "deal with it"... can't we do something to CHANGE it?

for example on tumblr i just saw a picture of kiara flying and people calling her fat im pretty sure kiara is in amazing shape and completely toned to do what shes doing. yet people voice there opinion and say she is to big to fly. people like you make them think that is ok to do.

People who work in the media, writers journalists, bloggers love nothing more to point out flaws.. The day it ends I think Ok, People, The national enquirer will all come to a stop. We see it everyday but it doesn't mean we have to accept it. Im so happy she stood up for herself. Girls and boys I guess who let bullies get away with the comments are the ones who suffer. Shes clearly a strong person so I hope nasty comments like that don't affect her.

Im not trying to say who or what you are but Im going to guess that this kind of thing has never happened to you.
Its the same for me - I've (luckily) never had anyone close to me have a serious illness or pass away so I can never understand or empathise when someone brings this subject up.
I think if you had had this kind of thing happen to you, then you wouldn't be arguing your point so strongly and have a little more sympathy towards Ms Williams.
Im a bit of a go getter myself. I don't believe we should just have to "deal with it"... can't we do something to CHANGE it?

You're interpreting "deal with it" as "deal, settle and be complacent about it". I mean as deal with it by doing something.

In high school I was told to go on a water and ex lax diet. I laughed it off. I've always struggled with my weight (I'm not going to say in what capacity because my size is neither here nor there to me). I do have high cholesterol (which is only relevant or remotely interesting if you know my size) because I was genetically predisposed to it. I understand the importance of working out, I understand the importance of being fit, I understand the importance of getting in the gym and doing cardio mixed in w weight training, and I also understand someone is going to something to say about my appearance for whatever reason (it even happens to me professionally as a librarian). While obesity does not run in my family, heart disease and arteriosclerosis does run rampant in my family. It killed my grandmother, it killed the majority of her siblings. My grandmother also had type two diabetes along with my grandfather on my dad's side. Neither of them were physically overweight. Its the nature of the game in the black community. Its apart of our "health history". So yes, I have had loved ones pass away for health and eating related illnesses. I will tell my mother, I will tell my father, my sisters, cousins, uncles and my sisters dog to go and walk 30 minutes a day, to exercise, to tone, to lose weight, to change their diet and do whatever they need to do to make sure they don't die early because of a weight related disease.

None of that is relevant to the OKT girl being called chunky, but I don't want you thinking I'm callous and oblivious to struggles with weight So maybe I can't be sympathetic (not necessarily to the OKT girl) to people in general with some weight issues, but trust me I live/lived it.

I sympathize with the OKT girl they same way I sympathize with Kim Kardashian criticism, Adele criticism, Robert Kardashian criticism, Leanne Rhimes criticism, Zoe Saldana criticism etc and any celebrity that on a magazine for being too whatever. "That's mean, its sad, its there and it happens, doesnt mean its okay but you have to be strong enough to handle it" The End.

for example on tumblr i just saw a picture of kiara flying and people calling her fat im pretty sure kiara is in amazing shape and completely toned to do what shes doing ;) . yet people voice there opinion and say she is to big to fly. people like you make them think that is ok to do.

No. People like the blogger make people think that is okay to do it.
People like me understand that this kind of criticism exists in society, but to let that make or break you is senseless.
People like me understand that professional cheerleaders get slammed for not being lean and toned and its the nature of their industry arguably due to their skimpy outfits and because they're physically (in all capacities) are supposed to appeal to the audience
You have got to understand that people are going to have an opinion about these kinds of things whether its good or bad.

Back