All-Star Commercialization Of Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

REA Dad

Cheer Parent
Feb 12, 2011
Watching Worlds yesterday I couldn't help but cringe when I saw a team use a banner at the end of their routine and it had a logo from a shoe company on it. I would love to see any type of advertising ban on the cheer floor because it will only get worse and before you know it uniforms will look like race cars.

That's my opinion, what does everyone else think?

Watching Worlds yesterday I couldn't help but cringe when I saw a team use a banner at the end of their routine and it had a logo from a shoe company on it. I would love to see any type of advertising ban on the cheer floor because it will only get worse and before you know it uniforms will look like race cars.

That's my opinion, what does everyone else think?

agreed....i saw the same thing

The cheer floor is for cheer, not marketing. If you want to advertise for your sponsors, use a t-shirt or your website. You're most likely already wearing their product on the floor and that should be advertisement enough.

Watching Worlds yesterday I couldn't help but cringe when I saw a team use a banner at the end of their routine and it had a logo from a shoe company on it.

I must have missed the logo. Which team?

They are talking about GymTymes banner with the Infinity Logo on it. It's a fair opinion, but unfortunately not illegal right now.

Personally I don't think props have any place in competitive cheer. I don't think it's safe.

Gym Tyme Nfinity which is actually sponsored by the shoe. There are also several uniforms with this logo on it.

If you ban advertising on the floor, then no company would be able to put their logo on uniforms which they have been doing forever.

I am a fan of advertising. (Maybe its because i've been in marketing throughout college and my career so far). If i could get my shoes for free by putting a logo on my shoulder, I would do it. If i could get my uniform for free by having a HUGE "V" on my back, I would do it. I always wondered (in the past) why people didn't do sponsorships.

The only issue this may create is, would this create issues with judging, alliances, and other preferences when you see someone sporting a logo that has an impact on you personally.

The flip side is maybe commercialization means that all-star cheerleading is on its way to becoming legitimate to some of the mainstream folks.

If you watch a pro baseball game every single aspect of the game has some sort of commercialization like the AT&T call to the bullpen.
Good call. Plus you know majority of college sports teams are sponsored by a certain company, whether it be Nike, addidas, gk, etc.

Do you feel the same about Thailands banner at the end of their routine? Just curious.

Yes. Competitive cheer is about executing skills. They only get more difficult at higher levels, so unless there is a "banner waiving" skill that has athletic merit and gets scored, it is a detractor to the safety of a potentially dangerous activity.

Gym Tyme Nfinity which is actually sponsored by the shoe. There are also several uniforms with this logo on it.

If you ban advertising on the floor, then no company would be able to put their logo on uniforms which they have been doing forever.

I am a fan of advertising. (Maybe its because i've been in marketing throughout college and my career so far). If i could get my shoes for free by putting a logo on my shoulder, I would do it. If i could get my uniform for free by having a HUGE "V" on my back, I would do it. I always wondered (in the past) why people didn't do sponsorships.

The only issue this may create is, would this create issues with judging, alliances, and other preferences when you see someone sporting a logo that has an impact on you personally.

Not against advertising on the floor as a whole, there just has to be a limit. Like @SharkDad said, it's a safety thing (with the banners) As far as having their logo on clothing, as long as it doesn't distract the judges from being able to judge efficiently, then i'm not against it at all. The line has to be drawn somewhere tho.

I don't think sponsorships are bad at all, in fact I agree with the legitimat aspect, but lime you said, at some point someone might be compelled to hold something in their routine at the expense of safety.

Yes. Competitive cheer is about executing skills. They only get more difficult at higher levels, so unless there is a "banner waiving" skill that has athletic merit and gets scored, it is a detractor to the safety of a potentially dangerous activity.
Fair enough.

I have no problem with uniforms being a walking billboard. With sublimated uniforms on the rise, it would make for some pretty awesome advertising on uniforms.

i'm sure someone could get gatorade or propel in on the bandwagon. and make sure each girl has one in her hand at all times.

Do you feel the same about Thailands banner at the end of their routine? Just curious.

I know you weren't asking me but my opinion is that it is too big. If they can't reduce the size, then the banner should be held at floor level, not from a stunt (maybe put it on a pole?) i have no idea how that would work. But again, I have to agree with @SharkDad i don't think props belong in competitive allstar. Keep them for schools, college etc.

I have no problem with uniforms being a walking billboard. With sublimated uniforms on the rise, it would make for some pretty awesome advertising on uniforms.

i'm sure someone could get gatorade or propel in on the bandwagon. and make sure each girl has one in her hand at all times.
Whichever company is targeting the 12-18 year old female could score big with correct sponsorship. Whoever the cheerlebrity du jour is, give em a product and BAM lots of little girls will run out and but that product.

Back