All-Star Commercialization Of Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yes. Competitive cheer is about executing skills. They only get more difficult at higher levels, so unless there is a "banner waiving" skill that has athletic merit and gets scored, it is a detractor to the safety of a potentially dangerous activity.
I know you weren't asking me but my opinion is that it is too big. If they can't reduce the size, then the banner should be held at floor level, not from a stunt (maybe put it on a pole?) i have no idea how that would work. But again, I have to agree with @SharkDad i don't think props belong in competitive allstar. Keep them for schools, college etc.
I'm reminded of a Top Gun routine several years ago where they used break away banners. They complimented the skill but were used in a safe manner. However, not many folks could do it the same way so I tend to agree with the no props thought.

No props in any competitive cheer. Rec, HS, College, or Allstar. If it is a skills based competition it detracts from safety. Watch how long that banner is sitting right behind the entire Bangkok pyramid as a large bundle. It only take one mis-step and even the hired spotters wouldn't be able to save the flyers. The price for a mistake should not be catastrophic injury if you can mitigate the risk.

Sideline cheering competition? Have at it!

No props in any competitive cheer. Rec, HS, College, or Allstar. If it is a skills based competition it detracts from safety. Watch how long that banner is sitting right behind the entire Bangkok pyramid as a large bundle. It only take one mis-step and even the hired spotters wouldn't be able to save the flyers. The price for a mistake should not be catastrophic injury if you can mitigate the risk.

Sideline cheering competition? Have at it!

Half of the aspect of competitive cheer for college and HS is about being able to lead the crowd. As long as their are crowd leading portions of competitive cheer, you will need props, as it is hard to effectively lead a crowd without them.

Half of the aspect of competitive cheer for college and HS is about being able to lead the crowd. As long as their are crowd leading portions of competitive cheer, you will need props, as it is hard to effectively lead a crowd without them.

This would lead into my discussion about sideline cheer competitions vs competitive cheer. You're right, there is a difference and I think it should be a clearer difference in order to improve the sport.

Its only a matter of time, before everyone does it.

This year my small senior 5 team had the Nfinity logo embroidered on the back of our uniform.

Gym Tyme Nfinity which is actually sponsored by the shoe. There are also several uniforms with this logo on it.

If you ban advertising on the floor, then no company would be able to put their logo on uniforms which they have been doing forever.

Common sense would dictate that makers of uniform and shoes can have a logo on it from the COMPANY that made it.

Common sense would dictate that makers of uniform and shoes can have a logo on it from the COMPANY that made it.
Then that just makes the rules more elaborate with more grey areas to form.

I don't think it needs to be complicated. No props. . Easy

I don't think it needs to be complicated. No props. . Easy
So advertising on uniforms is ok?

If my team had the Secret or Playtex logo on the back, that would be ok?

(I still think its kosher. If a company wants to shell out $300 per uniform and put their 12x12 logo on the back of it, then great)

So advertising on uniforms is ok?

If my team had the Secret or Playtex logo on the back, that would be ok?

(I still think its kosher. If a company wants to shell out $300 per uniform and put their 12x12 logo on the back of it, then great)
My premise is safety. If teams want to be tacky promoting duct tape, so be it.

My premise is safety. If teams want to be tacky promoting duct tape, so be it.

Tacky is the perfect word to describe it. I agree with the props too, besides safety (which should be the #1 issue) it just distracts from the talent of the teams that use them.

I agree with NO props, I think they are corny, but as far as advertising, my gym isn't sponsored but I'm sure we wouldn't turn money away. Please feel free to contact if you would like to give me money!! Really, anyone is free to do so lol.

Cheerleading is so expensive as it is that a free uniform of sneakers should be taken. Its one thing to have a nfinity sneaker symbol but if they start advertising beer or cigarettes then we should draw the line.

Latest posts

Back