All-Star Commercialization Of Cheer

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Gym Tyme Nfinity which is actually sponsored by the shoe. There are also several uniforms with this logo on it.

If you ban advertising on the floor, then no company would be able to put their logo on uniforms which they have been doing forever.

I am a fan of advertising. (Maybe its because i've been in marketing throughout college and my career so far). If i could get my shoes for free by putting a logo on my shoulder, I would do it. If i could get my uniform for free by having a HUGE "V" on my back, I would do it. I always wondered (in the past) why people didn't do sponsorships.

The only issue this may create is, would this create issues with judging, alliances, and other preferences when you see someone sporting a logo that has an impact on you personally.
Free shoes?
Too bad I missed Stingrays tryouts. :(

Gym Tyme Nfinity which is actually sponsored by the shoe. There are also several uniforms with this logo on it.

If you ban advertising on the floor, then no company would be able to put their logo on uniforms which they have been doing forever.

I am a fan of advertising. (Maybe its because i've been in marketing throughout college and my career so far). If i could get my shoes for free by putting a logo on my shoulder, I would do it. If i could get my uniform for free by having a HUGE "V" on my back, I would do it. I always wondered (in the past) why people didn't do sponsorships.

The only issue this may create is, would this create issues with judging, alliances, and other preferences when you see someone sporting a logo that has an impact on you personally.
We may all think we like the idea of 'corporate sponsorship'...however, the NCAA Eligibility Center, more specifically, the Amateur Status section specifically addresses this issue...and the news is not good. Those university teams competing in a commercial event with sponsors, including those up-and-coming cheerleaders (9th grade and up) who wish to join a STUNT team may find themselves ineligible. The rules seem to point to these teams now not being "amateur". They and others represented a university, competed in STUNT (with payments from a commercial entity), have sponsorship ties with a private gym and corporate sponsorship, and then competed in a commercial competition wearing university uniforms, competing for a private gym and holding a sign with a corporate sponsor on it. This one will be tough to beat....think long and hard about accepting sponsorships or money and how it will affect the NCAA Amateur Status.

yeah i notice stingrays had Nfinity's logo on the shoulder of the uniform and I was recently at a competition and their main sales pitch was "these are the shoes worn by 'Top Gun Jags'"

I like CJA, but my reason against props is the same even if it's my daughter's team. I thought Capital City's handkerchief's were clever by the way.

I understand there are always risks involved, my daughter is usually the one doing flyovers in pyramids, but I think we should mitigate risks wherever possible. Props are not necessary and they add no skill to the sport, therefore I find them to be an unnessary risk and not worth my child's (or anyone's) safety.

I just honestly don't see how a banner or hair flower or flag (rockstar) is a safety issue. It just sits in the back after it's used. As long as your choreographer is aware that it'll be there and choreographs appropriately than how is it unsafe?

We may all think we like the idea of 'corporate sponsorship'...however, the NCAA Eligibility Center, more specifically, the Amateur Status section specifically addresses this issue...and the news is not good. Those university teams competing in a commercial event with sponsors, including those up-and-coming cheerleaders (9th grade and up) who wish to join a STUNT team may find themselves ineligible. The rules seem to point to these teams now not being "amateur". They and others represented a university, competed in STUNT (with payments from a commercial entity), have sponsorship ties with a private gym and corporate sponsorship, and then competed in a commercial competition wearing university uniforms, competing for a private gym and holding a sign with a corporate sponsor on it. This one will be tough to beat....think long and hard about accepting sponsorships or money and how it will affect the NCAA Amateur Status.

Hmmmm, an unintended consequence of cheerleading becoming a sport.

So anyone who is in 9th grade through college who has ever worn a corporate logo for payment (or other compensation) on a cheer uniform is no longer considered an amateur per NCAA rules?

I seriously doubt it...i don't get how that's any different from a person wearing a donated uniform from Under Armor for like football or something.

In regards to amateur status, this was taken from Petersons.com, I typed 'amateur status ncaa' into google and clicked on that link. This was what I found:
Other activities that can affect amateur status
There are a variety of other activities related to playing or coaching sports that may affect your amateur status at a sports college. Below are some activities that violate amateurism rules in most cases:
  • Receiving compensation that exceeds actual and necessary expenses (such as travel or lodging, etc.) when competing as an amateur
  • Receiving compensation for media appearances (radio, television, etc.) that exploit your athletic ability or fame
  • Expressly or implicitly endorsing commercial products or services
  • Accepting prize money that exceeds actual and necessary expenses

For some activities, the question of whether or not they violate amateurism rules can vary among the athletic associations or vary depending on whether the activity occurs before or after you enroll at a school. Some examples of these activities are:
  • Entering a draft
  • Trying out for a professional team
  • Receiving compensation for coaching or officiating
  • Delaying enrollment to participate in organized competition

If you're considering any of these activities, the best policy is to check with each athletic association to determine its specific amateurism rules.

**I suppose what could be called into question is what they define as 'compensation' and 'implicit'. Something to keep in mind..

I don't LIKE it necessarily, but I would slap a logo on our kids' uniforms in a hearbeat if it meant saving them money.

Hey Steve Jobs . . . CA Applekatz? Iphones for the team?
Looks like you found a name for your IO6 lol. Btw I'll be team waterboy for an iPad.

yeah i notice stingrays had Nfinity's logo on the shoulder of the uniform and I was recently at a competition and their main sales pitch was "these are the shoes worn by 'Top Gun Jags'"
I thought Top Gun wore No Limits?

In regards to amateur status, this was taken from Petersons.com, I typed 'amateur status ncaa' into google and clicked on that link. This was what I found:
Other activities that can affect amateur status
There are a variety of other activities related to playing or coaching sports that may affect your amateur status at a sports college. Below are some activities that violate amateurism rules in most cases:
  • Receiving compensation that exceeds actual and necessary expenses (such as travel or lodging, etc.) when competing as an amateur
  • Receiving compensation for media appearances (radio, television, etc.) that exploit your athletic ability or fame
  • Expressly or implicitly endorsing commercial products or services
  • Accepting prize money that exceeds actual and necessary expenses
For some activities, the question of whether or not they violate amateurism rules can vary among the athletic associations or vary depending on whether the activity occurs before or after you enroll at a school. Some examples of these activities are:
  • Entering a draft
  • Trying out for a professional team
  • Receiving compensation for coaching or officiating
  • Delaying enrollment to participate in organized competition
If you're considering any of these activities, the best policy is to check with each athletic association to determine its specific amateurism rules.

**I suppose what could be called into question is what they define as 'compensation' and 'implicit'. Something to keep in mind..

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/siue/genrel/auto_pdf/faqamat.pdf

The general rule that I've understood is that if the athletes are not being paid a salary or (in most cases) getting prize money, they're not professionals in the eyes of the NCAA. PDL (soccer) and USHL (hockey) teams have corporate sponsorships, and it's possible those kids on those teams might be wearing a corporate logo on their jersey or "implicitly" sponsoring a product by wearing such a logo, but they retain amateur status. And those kids don't pay a dime to play.

When the compensation goes beyond reasonable expenses (food, lodging, equipment) that are not funneled back into the team, then it violates the rules. If the compensation from sponsors is the equivalent of drawing a salary (think the Jeremy Bloom case) and is derived from your athletic accomplishments, then it violates the rules.

Latest posts

Back