High School Competition Hair

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 2, 2014
I have this discussion with my squads each year about competition hair. What do most people suggest? Honestly, I think a high ponytail with a big bow facing forward should be enough. I mean if you are rocking your routine that should be enough, but they feel otherwise. haha...any ideas or suggestions?

I have this discussion with my squads each year about competition hair. What do most people suggest? Honestly, I think a high ponytail with a big bow facing forward should be enough. I mean if you are rocking your routine that should be enough, but they feel otherwise. haha...any ideas or suggestions?
Judges don't care about your hair. You're uniform, as in all the same? Great. You don't look like a hot mess, dragged in after a rainstorm? Awesome.

I think cheer hair is more about portraying a particular image off the stage - to competitors, fans, social media. If that matters to you and your brand, awesome. But since this is in the high school section, I'd say "brand" doesn't matter as much. A neat, high pony with a bow, everyone uniform, should be perfect.

I think anything other than a neat ponytail is often distracting...I don't want to be looking at mile-high hair...I want to watch the athletes!!!

The braid across the front was the trend around here last year. As a parent I am a big fan of a high, tight pony. Less is more.

The braid across the front was the trend around here last year. As a parent I am a big fan of a high, tight pony. Less is more.
We tried a braid for one competition a few seasons ago. Decided that after all that work and extra hassle, you couldn't even see it or tell there was a braid in. Never did it again. Did a poof for one competition back in 2008. Also said never again after that!

We stick with high straight ponytails. No extra fluff, poofs, braids, etc.

We have a slicked back high ponytail with a bow, and a slicked back bun for Pom dance. I think a poof would look nice, but some mums might not want to do it. As we are a junior team, some of the girls can do their own hair and makeup, but some can't. I personally can do all of my own hair and makeup, so maybe that's why I'm in favour of the poof because I know my mum wouldn't be if she had to do it.

As long as it's clean, out of your face and doesn't look overly styled (the Kardashian slicked bun right on top of head or phony pony)... I think you're good. I personally like to see the bow (but that's just preference) ... Everyone having waves, braids or a special accent is always cute but when everyone has to wrap their hair up in a sock or stick their finger in a light socket to get the same look ...you've gone too far

My girls beg to do "poofs", but the sizes they end up with are always inconsistent! I prefer high, clean ponys with the bow sticking straight up. Here are the two styles on my teams (from the past 2 weekends):

jaujgz.jpg

2zstu04.jpg

The main thing is to look polished, whether it is a poof, bun or curled/straight ponytail. If your girls look confident & comfortable with whatever they are wearing, that is what you can see from the judging table. (A hairstyle can be fun and unique to the team if it provides meaning & encouragement to the team, but I discourage anything too crazy to the point where it is a distraction).
Having a stress free hairstyle adds to a stress free morning & warm up for a coach (with potentially more sleep time for an athlete rather than waking up early to curl hair)...... Keep the athletes calm, cool and focused on their routine execution rather than crazy hair/makeup/wardrobe worries imo.

Latest posts

Back