High School Confessions Of A High School Cheerleader

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I hate skirts with pants under them. At school we just wore our skirts, even in freezing cold WI winters. Wear the pants and take them off when you get inside. Otherwise we'd do jeans and a team shirt or sweatshirt for game days. Also can't stand skirts over pants at game. It just feels weird to me, like extra restricting and I always thought it looked like you forgot to take something off lol.

Also if anyone needs any tips for cheering in the cold and staying warm then let me know! I have a bunch after cheering in below zero games!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
Our coaches in middle school told us if they saw us with our skirt over our pants they would take our skirt away and we'd be wearing pants all the time. As for the top not being long enough, we never wear our pants w/o jackets. If it's cold, jackets go on first, pants if it's cold enough. Never just pants with uniform tops. We have skirts that are more allstar style with the shorts attached and we just tuck it into the pants or jacket (our jackets are huge) or go in to the bathroom to take our skirt off. Usually we make the switch at the beginning of the game or halftime so there's time to change. Toward the end of the season we just show up in pants bc it's way too cold for skirts.
It's not so bad when it's skirts with leggings which some schools in warmer states do, but with baggy pants or sweats? No no no.

Our coaches in middle school told us if they saw us with our skirt over our pants they would take our skirt away and we'd be wearing pants all the time. As for the top not being long enough, we never wear our pants w/o jackets. If it's cold, jackets go on first, pants if it's cold enough. Never just pants with uniform tops. We have skirts that are more allstar style with the shorts attached and we just tuck it into the pants or jacket (our jackets are huge) or go in to the bathroom to take our skirt off. Usually we make the switch at the beginning of the game or halftime so there's time to change. Toward the end of the season we just show up in pants bc it's way too cold for skirts.
It's not so bad when it's skirts with leggings which some schools in warmer states do, but with baggy pants or sweats? No no no.

See, my school does the opposite. Pants go on first. I don't think I've ever seen one of our cheerleaders with a jacket and skirt on. We put our pants on, and then as we get to our playoff games, we put on jackets and eventually sweatshirts under the jackets

At my high school, we would wear our skirts under our pants. Since our skirts weren't super long (plus most of us were pretty tall) so we just tucked them in and they didn't bunch or look funny. I might be able to find a picture. But we mainly did it on our way to the game/before warming up, not actually cheering. Luckily we rarely wore our pants or jackets when cheering, really only when it rained. California perks!

-No cheerleader should ever wear the skirt over the warm up pants.. EVER

I have to say I hate it as a coach, but I allow the decision to be up to the girls. The reason they seem to like the pants and the skirt with it is b/c they think the Holloway brand pants fit funny when they have a lot of layers on during the cold games, so the skirt covers all the random layers.

This is a new season, so I have new confessions:
-Just because you made the squad, does not mean you are perfect, everyone can improve.
-If I pull you out of a line up to help you with your movements, just do what the frick I told you. I'm not going to waste my breath if you're gonna wing it.
-I have a sore throat, and I'm still yelling. Why the heck can't I hear you?
-If you complain about basing, try being kicked in the face during a lib.
-Why are you wearing sneaker heels to practice?
- If your toe touch isn't where you want it to be, work for it.
- You complain about having a stuffy nose and a little headache at practice, but I have a fever and a migraine and I'm doing full outs.
-Bring spanks and sports bras, ain't nobody got time for that.
-Finally, if you are not clasping your hands when you clap, you are throwing us off.

This is a new season, so I have new confessions:
-Just because you made the squad, does not mean you are perfect, everyone can improve.
-If I pull you out of a line up to help you with your movements, just do what the frick I told you. I'm not going to waste my breath if you're gonna wing it.
-I have a sore throat, and I'm still yelling. Why the heck can't I hear you?
-If you complain about basing, try being kicked in the face during a lib.
-Why are you wearing sneaker heels to practice?
- If your toe touch isn't where you want it to be, work for it.
- You complain about having a stuffy nose and a little headache at practice, but I have a fever and a migraine and I'm doing full outs.
-Bring spanks and sports bras, ain't nobody got time for that.
-Finally, if you are not clasping your hands when you clap, you are throwing us off.
Do you seriously have girls who wear sneaker heels to practice? If I was coaching I would probably remove them from the squad

Seniors getting put on the team (which has a "mandatory backhandspring") without tumbling JUST BECAUSE THEY'RE SENIORS! That's not putting together the best team possible.

This is legit my biggest fear for my team and there is this one girl in my year who wants to be on varsity senior year but never goes to tumbling and doesn't have a back handspring! Like I know you have two years but if you start going to tumbling 2 months before senior try outs I won't feel sorry if you don't make it.

This is legit my biggest fear for my team and there is this one girl in my year who wants to be on varsity senior year but never goes to tumbling and doesn't have a back handspring! Like I know you have two years but if you start going to tumbling 2 months before senior try outs I won't feel sorry if you don't make it.
Cp's school had a rule (not sure if was exclusive to cheer) that seniors were not allowed on JV, so they were usually moved to varsity regardless of skills which is not right. I do think they've now adopted a different policy in that seniors can be cut, which took care of that issue.

^^^^It's unfortunately a common rule within districts ( juniors and seniors placed on Varsity automatically due to grade level), but that doesn't make it any less stupid. I think that more and more schools are moving away from that and placing girls based on skill, which is good.

^^^^It's unfortunately a common rule within districts ( juniors and seniors placed on Varsity automatically due to grade level), but that doesn't make it any less stupid. I think that more and more schools are moving away from that and placing girls based on skill, which is good.

I never even realized that teams actually put all juniors and seniors that make it on varsity until I started judging high school tryouts in Kansas. I think it's a poor way to create a team. My high school was talent/attitude based, but freshman could not be on Varsity. Or it was very rare that it did happen, but that was true for all sports at my high school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never even realized that teams actually put all juniors and seniors that make it on varsity until I started judging high school tryouts in Kansas. I think it's a poor way to create a team. My high school was talent/attitude based, but freshman could not be on Varsity. Or it was very rare that it did happen, but that was true for all sports at my high school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not only that, but it breeds entitled attitudes.

Other female athletes being catty toward cheerleaders (has this been mentioned before?). I feel like guys are less concerned with making fun of us and more focused on playing. Guys are less concerned with petty drama in general.

Back