All-Star Curling Hair

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

@HeatUniqueJ I can never get good curls with a flat iron... they always turn out with the crease marks like I folded my hair over the iron hahah

yeah i can't do them on my own aswell i just don't get how to turn the iron the right way haha my friend tried to show me but i still don't get it ;) i curled one of my girls' hair yesterday with a regular curling iron

lillyhaare.jpg

this is what i did :
I didn't apply anything before doing the curls, just tons of hairspray afterwards. I waited about 10 seconds before removing the iron from the hair...it worked out pretty well
I was told it wouldn't be a great idea to apply hairspray before curling, it would damage the structure of the hair and it would make no difference in how long tha curls last.. my hairdresser told me so

I think curls make these lady athletes look GORGEOUS. No it doesn't add to the scores sheet ; but do fierce cheer bows ; cute uniforms or sassy cheer mixes up your score? If that's the case lets stop wearing make up && glitter.

ByTheWay: I don't know Maryland Twisters "Curl Secret" but they ALL love perfect. Flawless ladies well done.

I also prefer straight high pony tails. Curled hair is always too big and distracting. And you don't get extra points for big hair lol.

uptown_outlaw said:
My Senior team has been doing straight high pony all season, but this weekend they begged me to let them do half up/ half down soft curls... So I cracked, and their performance scores were noticeably higher. Guess were keeping it. =)

Where the performance scores higher because of the hair, or did the girls perform better because they got to wear their hair the way they wanted and they were excited about it? I suppose the cause doesn't really matter as long as you get the effect (as opposed to affect @ACEDAD ) though

xpressjag said:
Curls don't increase your score but it definitely looks better. Straight hair reminds me of practice. It just adds to your overall look when your hair is done.

I think straight tight ponytails look cleaner and more athletic actually... You don't see female basketball players, gymnasts, ice skaters or even dancers really, with hair flying all over the place and getting in their face

I'm sure you're shocked by my opinion on this one haha

I think straight tight ponytails look cleaner and more athletic actually... You don't see female basketball players, gymnasts, ice skaters or even dancers really, with hair flying all over the place and getting in their face

Kyle,

You are correct on other sports wearing their hair like that but that isn't the look that most teams are going for. Many teams want that "glamour" girl/cute look. It makes you feel better all "done up" because there was effort put into the appearance. No it doesn't add to the score, but in life its all about how you accessorize. haha

xpressjag said:
Kyle,

You are correct on other sports wearing their hair like that but that isn't the look that most teams are going for. Many teams want that "glamour" girl/cute look. It makes you feel better all "done up" because there was effort put into the appearance. No it doesn't add to the score, but in life its all about how you accessorize. haha

You must be serious addressing me by my first name!!! Hahaha you're right it is all about how the girls feel about their appearance, some people feel "fierce" all done up and "glamourous", other feel like they can kick some behind with an athletic clean look (which is my personal preferance). Someone mentioned hairography earlier, which is great because it's a glee reference, but also true because I suppose certain looks fit certain styles better

Chris will I be seeing you at worlds? It's been too long!!

John Butler said:
OK, for those that were asking, here's her method... as I have observed it.

[*]First and foremost, DO NOT wash the hair before curling. Apparently dirty hair curls much better than clean hair. So wash it like the day before, but not the day of.
[*]Use small sections of the hair and hold the rest up and away with a clip.
[*]Once you have the small section split out to be curled, use the damp washcloth and pinch the section of hair you are curling and draw your hand away, allowing the hair to get only slightly dampened by the washcloth. This allows it to dry instantly once it hits the curling iron, but not be too damp... as wet hair won't curl.
[*]Then spray the section with a good amount of hairspray. My wife uses Freeze It brand, but she has used others that work as well.
[*]I don't know what brand curling iron my wife uses, but I do know whatever brand should be a ceramic iron with a 1" barrel.
[*]Use the curling iron and start at the bottom, so that as you wrap the hair goes up the barrel, making sure all of the hair is against the barrel... then hold for a few and release turning your hand in a circular direction opposite of the direction you curled.
[*]Lastly, always make sure the curling iron is as clean as possible. Use hot water and an old credit card or your finger nail to scrape off the hairspray that gets caked on the curling iron.

That's what I've observed as best I can describe it. It takes about 15 - 20 minutes for her to curl a head... but when you're first starting it usually takes a lot longer. When she first started doing it I remember it taking an hour. LOL... Like I said... thank God she's good at it, because while I may be able to describe what she does, doing it is a whole other thing!!

This past weekend I used the damp wash cloth and it was like that missing piece I never knew I needed. Thank you so much.

omg Kyle's finally back on the boards!

Back