All-Star Design the perfect scoring system

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

that is exactly why start value first then a technique bonus will help.
then that bad HSP hurts rather than helps

Same thing it is now, your score will be higher if you have more people do it.

In other words, I would love for a team I am competing against to only do majority and try to do other stuff.

I agree, tis was in response to troy's sample level 1 rubric. not trying to run it down, just thinking through the flaws. I really like having the te judges being able to asign a point value within a range, and leave it to their discretion at what is deserving a zero in the range, i.e. a straigt up one leg stunt with double, and what is deserving a .99 in the range, ie ball up double up blindfolded tic toc.

I agree, tis was in response to troy's sample level 1 rubric. not trying to run it down, just thinking through the flaws. I really like having the te judges being able to asign a point value within a range, and leave it to their discretion at what is deserving a zero in the range, i.e. a straigt up one leg stunt with double, and what is deserving a .99 in the range, ie ball up double up blindfolded tic toc.

well i don't believe it is simple it is just streamlined to allow for the current competition format. Ultimately I would like every skill given a point value and then combination of skills could be grouped together and bonus points awarded accordingly but we need baby steps until we have a judges certification and education system.
Also leaving the judges to decide the range is exactly what is wrong with the current system. the majority of judges cannot decipher a switch up form the ball up blindfolded triple ticktock BAM!! All they know is they are both "major" release moves that hit at the top so then they fall back on what they know or "like" and then subjectivity rules and from panel to panel and competition to competition values move up and down and the outcome is decided by judges opinions instead of the athletes on the floor.

I did think of this though, if it is a universal scoresheet then the same judges can work anywhere. It is not like a Varsity judge could not go work a Cheersport or Jamfest competition then. There would be a pool of educated judges and certification levels.

Transition phase: There needs to be ONE YEAR of solid testing on any universal scoresheet. What does that mean? double judges at the major competitions (nca, cheersport, jamfest, uca, worlds). one of the event producers current scoresheet and a seperate panel who does the new universal. it would make competitions more expensive (5 bucks more per kid maybe?) but WELL worth it.

Universal score sheet, Detailed "code of points', and a judges training program needs to be implemented hand in hand for it to truly become a new scoring system for our sport.
I think easily the USASF could do this and it would be self funding. The revenue source would come from fees paid by potential judges to gain their certification to be eligible to judge just like we do as coaches.

Reminder: You would also have to put that same ratio on the deductions.

Team A (Large): 36 triple toe backs - 3 busts
Team B (Small): 20 triple toe backs - 2 busts.

Who should get a higher total deduction? Most would say Team A. However, Team A hit 91.6% of their skills, while Team B only hit 90% of theirs.

Team A: 9 stunts, 3 falls
Team B: 5 stunts, 2 falls.

Again, Team A hit a bigger percentage of skills (66.7% vs 60%), but gets penalized more under the current system.

I am amazed that judges can keep up with the number of people performing a skill and how many bust- it happens so quick. Do they rewatch on video?

I wanted to add something. An idea mentioend to me at the NACCC, and I have been thinking about it and I really like it.

A required 2 eight count cheer section where no skills are allowed and you must do a cheer and is a section to be scored on the scoresheet. What do you think? (ignore the time needed for the moment.)

I wanted to add something. An idea mentioend to me at the NACCC, and I have been thinking about it and I really like it.

A required 2 eight count cheer section where no skills are allowed and you must do a cheer and is a section to be scored on the scoresheet. What do you think? (ignore the time needed for the moment.)

I like this idea a lot

Yes, please. Bring the CHEER back to CHEERleading!

The category would not be 'difficulty' dependent. If you are level 5 it would be in the level 5 range automatically. The first half of the point would be if you actually did the two eight counts of cheer (.5 for it, nothing if you were short even one single motion) and the second half woudl be .5 for transitions AND cheer creativity and execution.

Literally, it would give you points just for doing it... no matter how cheesy or lame it is! hahah

The category would not be 'difficulty' dependent. If you are level 5 it would be in the level 5 range automatically. The first half of the point would be if you actually did the two eight counts of cheer (.5 for it, nothing if you were short even one single motion) and the second half woudl be .5 for transitions AND cheer creativity and execution.

Would it turn into the UCA/NCA college spirit sections (tape/45 second) where it's pretty hard to *not* get full points?

ETA: Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. 2 eight counts of a cheer isn't a hard thing to do, and it helps keep some of the roots of our sport. Plus, it's easy to see who decides to skimp out on it.

how about you only enter the category if you do the 2 eight counts. otherwise you dont enter at all for cheer AND transitions

Yuck please no!! If you want to cheer then compete with a HS team but all-stars has evolved WAY past this and I would hate to see this happen. All-Stars do not "crowd lead" they do not "cheer" for other activities so why should we perform an element in our routine that is not related to our sport??
My vote is no,no,no,no,no,no!!!

Latest posts

Back