All-Star Espn Article About All-star Cheer Anyone? :)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

yes, I caught this too...you see, in writing it's all about how and where you word things that give it a slant (purposefully). I'm sure she was at least trying to give the sport some credit, but she definitely worded things in a passive aggressive way at times, and tried to put a slant on it by the order in which she worded things as well (sorry, it's the journalism talking in me which runs in my family..my grandmother was an editor of a newspaper for 30 years, a reporter, an author) I felt the slant at the beginning of the second paragraph..."Haylie is dressed in the Glitter Stars' practice uniform: a teal, sequined bow in her light brown hair, a teal, glitter half-top that buckles over her flat chest, and black cheerleading shorts. Really lady?? Those little quips were unnecessary (and that one was creepy...I mean would you use the same wording describing a young girl's bathing suit top?)

THere you go... you got the parts that kinda slimed me out. I think she said something about a little girl tossing her "naked" doll in stunts. Even describing the child's chest was kinda creepy as well as bringing in the "naked" doll. That said, I saw battalions of naked abandoned dolls (mostly Barbie) as I grew up and raised my own. A lot of the behaviors that were describely somewhat salaciously are normal kiddo behaviors.

And @MissBee, the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders are awesome at what they do...they are just not all star cheerleaders. As you said, they are a dance team. They perform for a completely different audience and are adults.

If I were that little girl's parents I would be IRATE over this woman commenting on my child's chest. I would definitely be having words with her editor and publisher. Anyone who notices, and comments on, a young child's (non existent) chest would make me very suspicious.

Girls compete in full makeup, with bright red lipstick and mascara, and sometimes even Vegas-style eye rhinestones, false eyelashes and wigs.
i actually dont think ive ever competed in a wig in my entire life.

I haven't ever seen a wig, but I've seen a few hairpieces, which is what I'm guessing she's referring to.

The article wasn't negative, it was real. It was basically taking the reader on a journey through practice, to the blue mat. None of the negative things about cheerleading were left out of this article lol. I must say my favorite part was when the writer said "CEA cheerleaders compete in tight Lycra skirts that barely cover the bottoms of their glittery underpants, paired with an off-the-shoulder half-shirt." Lol really?! People are always going to have their own opinion of what they think cheerleading is about. It doesn't matter if they go to a competition, sit at a practice or do both & write an article about it. People will never know or understand cheerleading until they get out there & try it. BTW, everyone has bad practice days=)

Idk if people just wanted to get their names in this article or if it was the writer's idea, but there were way to many names & mini stories within this article. I could tell the writer was trying to make it seem as if the reader was there w/ her, but it just didn't work for me. I wouldn't want someone who wants to know what all star cheerleading is about to read this article.

I would agree that the article was real. A person's perception is their truth and doesn't necessarily make it your or my upholding of what we perceive to be the truth. There are several problems here.

1. Cheerleading has a historic stereotype attached to it. It isn't going away any time soon. Allstars do not cheer and they do not lead...why are they even accepting a namesake that points to a sterotype that diminshes their sole purpose to compete and excel athletically. Why is it called the Cheerleading Worlds?

2. Someone mentioned cirque in this thread. When we watch a cirque performance and an allstar competition we are all pretty amazed at at the the athletic prowess of both genres. However, Circque performers aren't looking to be recognized as athtletes (ultimately their athleticism amazes us) but they aren't working off a scoresheet. Their dress fits performance art. You can't have it both ways and care about whether you are seen as sport. Field hockey players wear skirts devoid of rhinestones and glitter. Female basketball players have ponytails but don't arrive for the game in overdone make-up or any at all. If football players,who also have their own sterotype (ever see the Robin Williams spoof some 20 years ago) all of a sudden donned pink helmets complete with rhinestones and glam to their uniforms they would be facing a barage of opinions.

3. People opine on what stands before them and unfortunately sometimes even what does not. I have been at college basketball games where unbeknownst to what is accepted in our world as natural is openly poked fun of. I once listened to a group of collegiate administrator's ridicule the mickey mouse style bows (their words) being worn by grown women. Fortunately, they also were commenting on the absolute athleticism being diminished by a hair prop. At another game, a top flyer shimmied at the top of a pyramid with an absurd facial. The fan base probably comprised of persons not understanding that some of our choreography has that element erupted in both heckling and laughter. I have watched hair props fall out at competitions and be met with resounding laughter. Sport minded people wonder why? Why does a team have to have that element inserted into what we want to be perceived and scored as sport.

4. Can't have it both ways. If you want to hold onto the glitter, glitz, and the newer uniforms with more skin being revealed than ever before...and not be likened to the Dallas Cowboys who are dancers and performers, you have decisions to make. If you want the uniform standard to remain as is because you see no harm...it doesn't mean you will get the media, sports fans to embrace your perception. Some people, unfortunately are too busy looking at the gift wrapping and can't get to opening the package.

I would agree that the article was real. A person's perception is their truth and doesn't necessarily make it your or my upholding of what we perceive to be the truth. There are several problems here.

1. Cheerleading has a historic stereotype attached to it. It isn't going away any time soon. Allstars do not cheer and they do not lead...why are they even accepting a namesake that points to a sterotype that diminshes their sole purpose to compete and excel athletically. Why is it called the Cheerleading Worlds?

2. Someone mentioned cirque in this thread. When we watch a cirque performance and an allstar competition we are all pretty amazed at at the the athletic prowess of both genres. However, Circque performers aren't looking to be recognized as athtletes (ultimately their athleticism amazes us) but they aren't working off a scoresheet. Their dress fits performance art. You can't have it both ways and care about whether you are seen as sport. Field hockey players wear skirts devoid of rhinestones and glitter. Female basketball players have ponytails but don't arrive for the game in overdone make-up or any at all. If football players,who also have their own sterotype (ever see the Robin Williams spoof some 20 years ago) all of a sudden donned pink helmets complete with rhinestones and glam to their uniforms they would be facing a barage of opinions.

3. People opine on what stands before them and unfortunately sometimes even what does not. I have been at college basketball games where unbeknownst to what is accepted in our world as natural is openly poked fun of. I once listened to a group of collegiate administrator's ridicule the mickey mouse style bows (their words) being worn by grown women. Fortunately, they also were commenting on the absolute athleticism being diminished by a hair prop. At another game, a top flyer shimmied at the top of a pyramid with an absurd facial. The fan base probably comprised of persons not understanding that some of our choreography has that element erupted in both heckling and laughter. I have watched hair props fall out at competitions and be met with resounding laughter. Sport minded people wonder why? Why does a team have to have that element inserted into what we want to be perceived and scored as sport.

4. Can't have it both ways. If you want to hold onto the glitter, glitz, and the newer uniforms with more skin being revealed than ever before...and not be likened to the Dallas Cowboys who are dancers and performers, you have decisions to make. If you want the uniform standard to remain as is because you see no harm...it doesn't mean you will get the media, sports fans to embrace your perception. Some people, unfortunately are too busy looking at the gift wrapping and can't get to opening the package.

The statement about the uniform was still over the top. Yes, all star uniforms show skin, but we don't show cleavage & our butts aren't hanging out of our uniforms. Not all all star cheer uniforms show a lot of skin. I think the reason for crop tops in cheer is so coed stunters get a good grip on the flyer while tossing her up, not for sex appeal. No, we can't have it both ways, but most of the "facts" in this article were over exaggerated. I think the reason being is because the writer already had an opinion of what he or she thought all star cheerleading was. I wish she would have sat through an advanced team's practice. The writer was your typical stereotypical observer.

I'm not seeing why there's a direct problem with looking good and and being athletic. Whether there's bows and skirts or not, we're still doing the same thing on the mat. This sport is about the performance element, and can't be changed. Stunt had to be created to considered as a sport, no one liked the idea of changing All Star. I don't believe All star is going to change so drastically to become a sport. We're all just waiting for All Star to be accepted the way that it is, and to be honest this is contradicting what I said, but I don't think it will be accepted the way it is, a few things may have to change in order to compromise.

This article definitely made cheer look bad.
Cheer is a sport for hard working, talented athletes not beauty pagent girls.

i do agree though. its frustrating that they chose a youth team to focus the article on. tiny, mini and youth do have a more "beauty-pageant" image. I wish they would have covered a more advanced team.

NOT saying that these girls dont work hard, they absolutely do.

THere you go... you got the parts that kinda slimed me out. I think she said something about a little girl tossing her "naked" doll in stunts. Even describing the child's chest was kinda creepy as well as bringing in the "naked" doll. That said, I saw battalions of naked abandoned dolls (mostly Barbie) as I grew up and raised my own. A lot of the behaviors that were describely somewhat salaciously are normal kiddo behaviors.

And @MissBee, the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders are awesome at what they do...they are just not all star cheerleaders. As you said, they are a dance team. They perform for a completely different audience and are adults.

I'm glad you said that bc they are talented too and just bc they're "sexy" and only "dance" doesn't make them a joke.

If I were that little girl's parents I would be IRATE over this woman commenting on my child's chest. I would definitely be having words with her editor and publisher. Anyone who notices, and comments on, a young child's (non existent) chest would make me very suspicious.

That's really disturbing to me as well...

its very very very detailed.

unnecessarily so to overcompensate for her lack of writing skills

They really should have considered rewording a few of those statements. Sounded borderline sketchy if you didn't know they were talking about getting ready for a cheer competition...

I found the comment about Cailyn Jackson in the article very rude. I would not be at all happy with a newspaper or any new organisation saying this about an 8 year old. I have watched videos of Cailyn perform and I think their description is completely over the top and unneccesary. She is simply giving a performance no more than any kid doing figure skating would.

I found the comment about Cailyn Jackson in the article very rude. I would not be at all happy with a newspaper or any new organisation saying this about an 8 year old. I have watched videos of Cailyn perform and I think their description is completely over the top and unneccesary. She is simply giving a performance no more than any kid doing figure skating would.

Can you quote the part you're talking about? i reeeeally don't want to read this whole article again looking for this girl's name (I read it all the way once--but I didn't actually memorize it). But I was interested in your comment and wanted to see what you were referring to. I tried to skim over it and I couldn't find it.

Latest posts

Back