All-Star Everything NCA 2022

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Sorry for the double post, but I just found this <article>:

"The new facility will feature 800,000 square feet of exhibit space and 400,000 square feet of breakout space, including a 100,000-square-foot ballroom. Construction is expected to begin in 2024, with a projected opening date in 2028."

For priority viewing in the arena, you would have to have parents lining up either in aisles or at an entrance/exit and that's a fire code "no." In the larger convention rooms, that's not an issue because of the exits and open space.

Quote from a Dallas article on the new convention center <click here>:

"If you are beginning to feel your wallet shudder, let me point out that any millions or billions needed for the overhaul won't come from the taxpayers.....rather the hotel occupancy taxes and convention center revenue."

From another article <click here>:

"Also on the table are an estimated $500 million option to completely renovate the current facility, including turning the arena into new ballroom and meeting spaces."

I can find articles on expanding ballroom spaces and increased hotel taxes/CC revenue, but nothing about a larger arena. Do any of our Dallas people know if a new arena is even in the plans?
untrue. There is actually an outside entrance door that leads directly to the floor area where the "VIP bleachers" are that has no spectator traffic. There is absolutely no reason why the same system that Worlds uses could not be implemented even if it is on a smaller scale. Give each athlete 2 wristbands with the gym and team name. Check in area outside, staff member leads the group in 5 minutes before to a holding area, they move to the floor, watch and exit not only the arena, but the convention center, and return back into the convention center (if they choose) using the normal access.

untrue. There is actually an outside entrance door that leads directly to the floor area where the "VIP bleachers" are that has no spectator traffic. There is absolutely no reason why the same system that Worlds uses could not be implemented even if it is on a smaller scale. Give each athlete 2 wristbands with the gym and team name. Check in area outside, staff member leads the group in 5 minutes before to a holding area, they move to the floor, watch and exit not only the arena, but the convention center, and return back into the convention center (if they choose) using the normal access.

I actually dealt with the fire marshal when we were closing a store and doing deep markdowns. We were the ones requesting help. OSHA states any temporary blockage of an entrance or exit is considered a violation and that can include people. The reason, any time there is a large population at a door way, wanting to get somewhere fast, there's a higher chance of people, being trampled, injured, or death.

There's limited time between routines to get one group out and another group in, and I don't blame the fire marshal for being strict.

As far as Disney, it is its own city with its own fire department. I remember a World's where people were posting pics of an exit chained and locked. That's definitely an OSHA violation.

It's interesting to see the deterioration of the Small Coed division. It used to be hotly contested and exciting, but now it's basically an exhibition for BSB and nobody else is even close in score. The great teams that used to be in Small Coed are now spread out in a bunch of other divisions. The fact that there will supposedly be a separate "Limited" Small Coed division at Worlds for small gyms is one of the most unnecessary things ever created. The division is already heavily watered down from what it used to be, and it's sad that globes are going to go to teams that score low 90s- it kinda cheapens the prestige of getting a globe. Small & Medium Coed could easily be combined into one good division, I'd maybe cap the division at 26 athletes.

Yes, I hate how they were blaming people standing up for delaying the competition. The spectators weren't the ones delaying the competition-- you selling way more tickets than seats in the arena is what was delaying the competition.

NCA has outgrown this small arena, so maybe it's a good thing it's getting knocked down. Find a more normal-sized arena so that everyone can easily watch their kid and not have to watch a routine from behind. And it's insane to not having priority viewing, I wonder what their reasoning is. If there's no guarantee you can even watch your kid, admission should be free.
The only way they could control tickets is to sell for a specific competition hall depending on your child’s team, but that would be way too complicated for varsity to even worry about or limit sales…..and of course lose $$!

The problem is, and I think @ACEDAD may have stated this many years ago, Varsity doesn't take into consideration the fans that come to these events that have no affiliation with any team. NCA and Worlds are probably the 2 biggest competitions that have people come just to watch, not because they are competing. When you don't account for that, you get overcrowding.

The problem is, and I think @ACEDAD may have stated this many years ago, Varsity doesn't take into consideration the fans that come to these events that have no affiliation with any team. NCA and Worlds are probably the 2 biggest competitions that have people come just to watch, not because they are competing. When you don't account for that, you get overcrowding.
I agree, except they are aware, do account for it and don't care. They had signs made that were posted outside the arena with the NCA logo and "arena is at capacity" or something along those lines. If they had to spend money to make signs, then they knew they were going to have a capacity problem!

I actually dealt with the fire marshal when we were closing a store and doing deep markdowns. We were the ones requesting help. OSHA states any temporary blockage of an entrance or exit is considered a violation and that can include people. The reason, any time there is a large population at a door way, wanting to get somewhere fast, there's a higher chance of people, being trampled, injured, or death.

There's limited time between routines to get one group out and another group in, and I don't blame the fire marshal for being strict.

As far as Disney, it is its own city with its own fire department. I remember a World's where people were posting pics of an exit chained and locked. That's definitely an OSHA violation.
I owned a business too and know all about fire code. Have you been on the floor of the arena? If you have, you would know that the access to go from the outside entrance to the entrance to the floor arena currently isn't used, and would be perfectly acceptable per the fire code. Nothing would be blocked and would be much safer. If each athlete were given two wristbands, there would be a maximum of 76 people going through priority (and that is only for a handful of teams - it would be more like 48 people for most teams). It takes more staff and coordination on Varsity's part but it certainly is safer and makes more sense.

Last year when worlds during Covid, didn’t they use the wristband system to limit spectators to like 2 people per athlete?

How hard would it be to replicate that at NCA but for priority viewing? Literally a VIP list for that front area and during whatever popular team, ONLY people with wristbands who are on the list can sit/stand here.

I actually thought, until this weekend, that’s what they did. Or at least something along those lines. I thought those people at the bleachers were the parents. I saw people sitting on the floor next to the bleachers. So I assumed it was parents.

Last year when worlds during Covid, didn’t they use the wristband system to limit spectators to like 2 people per athlete?

How hard would it be to replicate that at NCA but for priority viewing? Literally a VIP list for that front area and during whatever popular team, ONLY people with wristbands who are on the list can sit/stand here.
No different wristbands….but u went in for your team and left……

I actually thought, until this weekend, that’s what they did. Or at least something along those lines. I thought those people at the bleachers were the parents. I saw people sitting on the floor next to the bleachers. So I assumed it was parents.
Those are currently reserved for coaches and industry professionals/VIPs etc.

For priority viewing in the arena, you would have to have parents lining up either in aisles or at an entrance/exit and that's a fire code "no." In the larger convention rooms, that's not an issue because of the exits and open space.

Quote from a Dallas article on the new convention center <click here>:

"If you are beginning to feel your wallet shudder, let me point out that any millions or billions needed for the overhaul won't come from the taxpayers.....rather the hotel occupancy taxes and convention center revenue."

From another article <click here>:

"Also on the table are an estimated $500 million option to completely renovate the current facility, including turning the arena into new ballroom and meeting spaces."

I can find articles on expanding ballroom spaces and increased hotel taxes/CC revenue, but nothing about a larger arena. Do any of our Dallas people know if a new arena is even in the plans?
Here is an artist rendering:
New Convention Center

So we will probably get one more year in Dallas and then NCA will have to relocate until 2026 when the new convention center is completed. The plans sound more like the George R. Brown in Houston but they are not tearing down the arena so it technically could still be used. In the interim, if they are dedicated to Dallas due to tradition, they could relocate to Fair Park and utilize the expo halls.

Per Justin Carrier - NCA isn't anywhere. They won’t move us out of the old convention center until a new one is ready to use.

Back