All-Star Ex-cheer Coach In Boca Raton, Fl Arrested

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

CheerDadof2 Clearly, I have no involvement in this and there are details that aren't or haven't yet been made public. But wouldn't you assume the parents were involved? If a parent told me, they didn't want to press charges (not saying this happened), should the gym go against their wishes and report it? I think without full disclosure of the situation, everyone is making baseless assumptions.

I'll play devils advocate....

Has there been a trial and conviction yet, or are these arrests and allegations at this point (which may be entirely true....or not)?

Maybe it's just me, but I've seen one too many good looking, male teachers with their life/career turned upside down over false accusations that he couldn't defend for the mere fact he was a male and he's guilty before proven innocent. And this is one of the few charges in this country where that reversal of the "American way" seems par for the course.

The last one happened over a girl who asked him out, and he told her no...so, she got mad and leveled allegations. Was he vindicated when the truth came out...yes. Did he have a nightmare to live through and isn't teaching anymore, yes. Did he do a single thing wrong...no. He, in fact, made her mad by turning her down.

So, feel free to speculate, deride, vilify and whatever other verb you'd like to use, (they all may turn out to be very warranted) but in my case...I think I'll wait for a conviction (which requires proof) to pass judgement. Right now, it's just allegations and just because there are multiple ones doesn't (necessarily) lend weight to them.

Flame away.[/quote

I can buy this.

there is a wptv news video clip which says he denies doing anything wrong and it made me wonder if he could really be innocent...but multiple accusations and even sexting a minor...that's not the look.
I'm not saying he is innocent, but I'm not saying he's guilty either. What I am saying is I know exactly nothing about the actual evidence in the case and until that evidence has been vetted in a court of law it's not my place to pass judgement.

CheerDadof2 Clearly, I have no involvement in this and there are details that aren't or haven't yet been made public. But wouldn't you assume the parents were involved? If a parent told me, they didn't want to press charges (not saying this happened), should the gym go against their wishes and report it? I think without full disclosure of the situation, everyone is making baseless assumptions.

Neither do I - my question about responsibility was more from a legal stand point. While I'm sure it can vary from state to state I thought that in general schools, daycares and businesses that deal with minors are required by law to disclose this information to authorities.

As for baseless assumptions - I honestly am not sure what you mean. He was arrested and according to the news article he was fired in June of 2011.

My curiosity comes in the form I stated above. Also if they've been investigating for 5 or 17 months then I would assume (this is an assumption) that they had proof or enough evidence to warrant arresting him finally.

I'll play devils advocate....

Has there been a trial and conviction yet, or are these arrests and allegations at this point (which may be entirely true....or not)?

Maybe it's just me, but I've seen one too many good looking, male teachers with their life/career turned upside down over false accusations that he couldn't defend for the mere fact he was a male and he's guilty before proven innocent. And this is one of the few charges in this country where that reversal of the "American way" seems par for the course.

The last one happened over a girl who asked him out, and he told her no...so, she got mad and leveled allegations. Was he vindicated when the truth came out...yes. Did he have a nightmare to live through and isn't teaching anymore, yes. Did he do a single thing wrong...no. He, in fact, made her mad by turning her down.

So, feel free to speculate, deride, vilify and whatever other verb you'd like to use, (they all may turn out to be very warranted) but in my case...I think I'll wait for a conviction (which requires proof) to pass judgement. Right now, it's just allegations and just because there are multiple ones doesn't (necessarily) lend weight to them.

Flame away.
And this is what scares me about becoming a teacher. The moment I become a teacher is the moment that everyone who isn't a close friend or family gets deleted from facebook. Make one kid mad and they can ruin your career by crying wolf. It doesn't matter if you do any wrong or not you automatically become a criminal and most likely will never have a job again.

And this is what scares me about becoming a teacher. The moment I become a teacher is the moment that everyone who isn't a close friend or family gets deleted from facebook. Make one kid mad and they can ruin your career by crying wolf. It doesn't matter if you do any wrong or not you automatically become a criminal and most likely will never have a job again.
And for your lack of a private or personal life you can be rewarded with a paycheck that can qualify you for food stamps and be vilified in the court of public opinion for not being able to (in 6 hours) overcome the life they're subjected to for the other 18.

#sorrybeenthatkindofday

And for your lack of a private or personal life you can be rewarded with a paycheck that can qualify you for food stamps and be vilified in the court of public opinion for not being able to (in 6 hours) overcome the life they're subjected to for the other 18.

#sorrybeenthatkindofday
*Hug* (which I almost typed 'Hugh' #beenTHATkindaday)

Anyone from that area want to comment? I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't, but if you don't want to come out and say it, I'll be the voice..

*Hug* (which I almost typed 'Hugh' #beenTHATkindaday)

Anyone from that area want to comment? I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't, but if you don't want to come out and say it, I'll be the voice..
Well, the issue with a background check is that you have to have a dynamic system in place. It's one thing to do background checks before you hire people, but who's to say they don't do something two years later as your faithful employee. Depending what it is, that kind of thing can fly under a radar depending on the size Of your organization. Then you have the uncomfortable position of having "cleared" someone through your protocols that is now an issue.

Our school system had this concern with cleared "volunteers." We moved to a system that does background checks but also checks national criminal databases each night against those names and will flag them immediately if something happened on the weekend you wouldn't ever know about.

A friend of mine from college (NCState) wrote that programming and owns his own software company who our system contracted with....and he drives a much nicer car than me :D

Well, the issue with a background check is that you have to have a dynamic system in place. It's one thing to do background checks before you hire people, but who's to say they don't do something two years later as your faithful employee. Depending what it is, that kind of thing can fly under a radar depending on the size I tour organization. Then you have the uncomfortable position of having "cleared" someone through your protocols that is now an issue.

Our school system had this concern with cleared "volunteers." We moved to a system that does background checks but also checks national criminal databases each night against those names and will flag them immediately if something happened on the weekend you wouldn't ever know about.

A friend of mine from college (NCState) wrote that programming and owns his own software company who our system contracted with....and he drives a much nicer car than me :D
THAT'S something you need. Something more proactive then just a basic check. 'Cause what good is THAT if nothing's happened that they know about?

Well, the issue with a background check is that you have to have a dynamic system in place. It's one thing to do background checks before you hire people, but who's to say they don't do something two years later as your faithful employee. Depending what it is, that kind of thing can fly under a radar depending on the size Of your organization. Then you have the uncomfortable position of having "cleared" someone through your protocols that is now an issue.

This sounds like a great system - is it something a business can subscribe to or just put in place on an individual basis? Just curious because it would be great to have this for gyms.

I'm already picturing a sticker on the front door stating something like "this gym subscribes to the x-personnel check system because we care about your kids"

I'd pay extra at a gym for that

This sounds like a great system - is it something a business can subscribe to or just put in place on an individual basis? Just curious because it would be great to have this for gyms.

I'm already picturing a sticker on the front door stating something like "this gym subscribes to the x-personnel check system because we care about your kids"

I'd pay extra at a gym for that
I'm sure Mark can adjust or rewrite programming in any matter necessary. He specializes in large scale database programs. If we HAD a unified governing body it would be ideal for member gyms to subscribe yet have said organization as the clearinghouse. Then you could flag gym hopping coaches too. But alas..... That whole unified governing body thing is an entirely different thread (or like 12 threads).

The difference between a criminal and a sex offender in my mind is......a guy who was a stupid kid/adult and stole a car is different than a stupid adult that had sex with minors.

Neither do I - my question about responsibility was more from a legal stand point. While I'm sure it can vary from state to state I thought that in general schools, daycares and businesses that deal with minors are required by law to disclose this information to authorities.

As for baseless assumptions - I honestly am not sure what you mean. He was arrested and according to the news article he was fired in June of 2011.

My curiosity comes in the form I stated above. Also if they've been investigating for 5 or 17 months then I would assume (this is an assumption) that they had proof or enough evidence to warrant arresting him finally.

No, I completely get where you're coming from. I didn't mean you in particular about baseless assumptions in regards to what you were commenting on. General statement. Cases like this aren't black and white, and I think there is so much gray area, that everyone will have to wait until court documents, etc. come to light. Innocent until proven guilty is how I'm looking at it, but we can all agree he made some terrible decisions.

I'm not saying he is innocent, but I'm not saying he's guilty either. What I am saying is I know exactly nothing about the actual evidence in the case and until that evidence has been vetted in a court of law it's not my place to pass judgement.
The police had enough evidence to arrest him. He was fired in June and arrested the end of November. The police must have been pretty thorough in their investigations.

Back