Front Full Vs Back Full

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

In general the landing of a front full (blind landing) makes it harder but ultimately it depends on the person. Most people will find backward fulls easier since more time spent on tumbling that direction, but I know people who have really strong forward tumbling skills and excel at front fulls but struggle with backward ones.

Personally I find front fulls easier mentally, but for learning technique back fulls were a lot simpler. In a front full you land blindly, which messes with your perception and you have to really make sure you're getting enough height to even got over cleanly. (Nobody likes a twisting ball of death.) Where in back fulls like tucks and layouts it's all mental; if you have good technique and aren't afraid to go backwards you should be fine. :) That being said, having a clean layout and then slowly adding turn progressions should be used before whipping the skill out on the floor. The foam pit is your best friend! ;)

I prefer front fulls, just because I have always been a front tumbler. Back fulls take a lot less time to get though. Its a lot easier to perfect your form in a back full too. It's way easier to stay hollow in a full than to arch then go hollow like you do in a front full. Also the blind landing tends to throw people off. For normal tumblers, I would definitely recommend back fulls. But if you're stronger in front tumbling, try front ones instead. It really just depends on your tumbling style!

Back