All-Star General 22-23 Season Announcements: Teams/Divisions, New Locations, Mergers, Closures etc.

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Based on what I’m hearing he will not be involved.

UA posted on Instagram last night that the gym location will be in Arlington Heights. So it could realistically pull athletes from both ICE Barrington and CEA Chicago. Will be interesting to see how that plays out!
May also pull from Formula Cheer in Lake Zurich. I would be very reserved in saying Craig is not involved just as from experience that was lied about when he "sold" UA to an "investor" before that ended up not being true.

Apparently significant and classic "Chicago Cheer Drama" as the Co-owner of ICE in Barrington and most of the coaching staff has resigned, and is starting their own gym with the location and name to be determined.
Let me add that I have now heard both sides of story from people I trust to not only know but to tell me the truth, and in a very "Chicago Cheer Drama" way they are distinctly 2 different stories, that involve 2 different things.

Let me add that I have now heard both sides of story from people I trust to not only know but to tell me the truth, and in a very "Chicago Cheer Drama" way they are distinctly 2 different stories, that involve 2 different things.

Haha that’s cheer drama everywhere- two sides to every story and the truth is often somewhere in the middle. What is going on in South Carolina with this Designer Athletics. Seems to be a similar situation as this Ultimate Athletics thing- a breakaway from another gym but people can’t really tell how legit it is lol.

Flip City All Stars in Boynton Beach, Florida is now Cheer Extreme Florida. If you’ve been here a while, you might remember the 60 page thread about Flip City from about 5 years ago. I’ve seen all of their teams this season and they have a nice amount of talent at every level. It feels weird that another gym can just put their name on other people’s athletes and take credit for those kids (while those kids simultaneously are happy to be Cheer Extreme even though they don’t really have much to do with them at all), but obviously this is a normal occurrence in cheer these days.

Cheer Force Arkansas Teams 22-23

Tiny Exhibition - Chicks

Tiny Novice - Peeps

Tiny 1.1 - Tweeties

Mini 1.1 - Kiwi

Mini Medium 1 - Angels

Youth Small 1 - Royals

Youth Small 2 - ThunderBirds

Junior Small 2 - War Eagles

Junior Small 3 - MockingJays

Junior Medium 4 - FireBirds

Senior Small 4.2 - LoveBirds

Senior Small Coed 5 - BlackHawks

Senior Open Large Coed 6 - NightHawks

Projected worlds teams from Steele Athletics:

Fayetteville, AR (New Location): Int. Small Open Coed 7
Las Cruces, NM: Int. Large Open Coed 7
Colorado Springs, CO: U18 Non Tumble Coed 6
Loveland, CO: Open Coed Non Tumble 6
Denver, CO: Small Open Coed 6

Projected worlds teams from Steele Athletics:

Fayetteville, AR (New Location): Int. Small Open Coed 7
Las Cruces, NM: Int. Large Open Coed 7
Colorado Springs, CO: U18 Non Tumble Coed 6
Loveland, CO: Open Coed Non Tumble 6
Denver, CO: Small Open Coed 6
Will US teams be eligible for Worlds in the new IASF U18 divisions? Think U18 divisions are just NT6 and level 5, aren't they?

Still a bit early for UK teams to be formed as there are still big events in June and July, but I've heard there are a few gyms hoping to field Worlds teams in U18 next season. Not sure they'll compete at Worlds in 2023 though as we usually get bids the year before

Will US teams be eligible for Worlds in the new IASF U18 divisions? Think U18 divisions are just NT6 and level 5, aren't they?

Still a bit early for UK teams to be formed as there are still big events in June and July, but I've heard there are a few gyms hoping to field Worlds teams in U18 next season. Not sure they'll compete at Worlds in 2023 though as we usually get bids the year before
Yes. US teams are eligible for U18 NT6 (at least). My program told us at NT tryouts that they were debating between U18 NT6 and IONT6, and were going to choose the division based on the age of athletes trying out.

U18 is formerly U19, offered at all levels. And U17 is now U16. US teams will be eligible to enter U18 NT at Worlds.

The US is only eligible for NT-Level 6 according to the age grid.

Level 6 would practically collapse in the US if they ever let Level 5 into Worlds. Athletes would not push nearly as hard to obtain any Level 6 skills if they knew they could get to the Big Show without them. It’s bad enough we have NT-Level 6 (no offense to all the athletes who truly have no tumbling ability and enjoy this division); we’re seeing kids give up trying to progress their tumbling because they don’t need it (which means fewer tumbling classes/privates which means less $$ for gyms), and fewer kids seem to be filtering onto actual Level 6 teams. I’ve seen athletes from “non-tumbling” teams try out at other gyms with Level 5/6 tumbling skills that had previously been going to waste. It seems the biggest growth in Level 6 recently has come in NT divisions instead of actual Level 6 divisions which are mostly shrinking in participation— when it should be the other way around. I figure this may be a reason why NT remains an Intl division only and not a USASF division; it could possibly be a long-term threat to the existence of actual Level 6.

If Level 6 collapses, the sport will face a severe decline in popularity and then eventually die. (Level 6 teams tend to be what pique kids’ interest in the sport, and high level tumbling is the main thing differentiating Allstar from School/Rec). So no, the US can’t enter IASF Level 5 and hopefully never will be able to. I’m not sure why it’s needed for the rest of the world either; other parts of the world can now hold their own in Level 6 enough that we don’t need to dumb down the rules for whoever still is lagging behind. Chances are most of the countries lagging behind in Level 6 are also lagging behind in Level 5, and will still be lagging behind no matter what divisions we invent. And there’s zero incentive to ever get to Level 6 when they can stop at Level 5 and get the same exact competitive experience.

Worlds is the only “Best of the Best” competition that exists in cheer, so it should be for the highest level only, like any other sport’s most prestigious championship. (I’d rename Level 7 something entirely different, like “collegiate style-all star” or something; Level 6 is where the best of the best are).

Last edited:
The US is only eligible for NT-Level 6 according to the age grid.

Level 6 would practically collapse in the US if they ever let Level 5 into Worlds. Athletes would not push nearly as hard to obtain any Level 6 skills if they knew they could get to the Big Show without them. It’s bad enough we have NT-Level 6 (no offense to all the athletes who truly have no tumbling ability and enjoy this division); we’re seeing kids give up trying to progress their tumbling because they don’t need it (which means fewer tumbling classes/privates which means less $$ for gyms), and fewer kids seem to be filtering onto actual Level 6 teams. I’ve seen athletes from “non-tumbling” teams try out at other gyms with Level 5/6 tumbling skills that had previously been going to waste. It seems the biggest growth in Level 6 recently has come in NT divisions instead of actual Level 6 divisions which are mostly shrinking in participation— when it should be the other way around. I figure this may be a reason why NT remains an Intl division only and not a USASF division; it could possibly be a long-term threat to the existence of actual Level 6.

If Level 6 collapses, the sport will face a severe decline in popularity and then eventually die. (Level 6 teams tend to be what pique kids’ interest in the sport, and high level tumbling is the main thing differentiating Allstar from School/Rec). So no, the US can’t enter IASF Level 5 and hopefully never will be able to. I’m not sure why it’s needed for the rest of the world either; other parts of the world can now hold their own in Level 6 enough that we don’t need to dumb down the rules for whoever still is lagging behind. Chances are most of the countries lagging behind in Level 6 are also lagging behind in Level 5, and will still be lagging behind no matter what divisions we invent. And there’s zero incentive to ever get to Level 6 when they can stop at Level 5 and get the same exact competitive experience.

Worlds is the only “Best of the Best” competition that exists in cheer, so it should be for the highest level only, like any other sport’s most prestigious championship. (I’d rename Level 7 something entirely different, like “collegiate style-all star” or something; Level 6 is where the best of the best are).
Many sports have events with combined, individual, and unique skills as divisions in the Olympics (skiing, skating, swimming, cycling, equestrian,..) When it comes to skills/technique, those in dance and gymnastics have used the "dumbed down" argument against cheer for years.

Those who don't enjoy tumbling, can't afford it, lack resources, block, have chronic pain/injury, eventually quit or level off. Stunt, core, and stretch classes are expanding in gyms. What won't change, those who enjoy tumbling, and can afford it, will continue to tumble.

In 2016, privates, medical bills, and PT were more than half of our total cheer and travel expenses. There's nothing "dumb" about providing more cost effective, high level options in a sport. There's, also, nothing "dumb" about combining and sharing expenses at a large event with other divisions of a sport or other sports you may or may not feel deserve to be there. This is a parent paid for sport, how much more do you think parents can pay by making it more elite?

Last edited:
i dont see an issue with the non tumbling division with it being in the international category. I mean in the minds of usasf leaders it was probably a smart financial decision, cause it brings in more money, and i cant see them getting rid of it at this point.
does it "dumb" down worlds, because international teams cant or dont pull as much talent or expertise as US teams? ehh, idk. But i also dont know how you expect the true international teams, coaches, gyms to get better if they never get the opportunity to be exposed to better talent, better experiences, competitions, etc.
the only thing i could see possibly happening, is it being moved to summit at some point, for whatever reasons they come up with.

Not every kid will be an elite-level tumbler. That's just the way it is, on top of that not every elite level tumbler will be on a worlds team or globe at worlds once there. Before NT you were done at 18 unless you were one of these "worlds level" athletes. The division gives kids like mine an opportunity to continue on in something she loves to do. I don't understand the concern over "level 6 collapse" while at the same time people complain about the number of divisions at worlds or how it has stretched into 3-4 days making it a very expensive event to attend. Young athletes who like to tumble, have the money to pursue the training needed, and avoid injury are not going to all of a sudden jump to NT, nor do I think a gym would place a 15 year old with a full on a NT team when they still are eligible for traditional All Star divisions.

Back