All-Star Grammar Thread - Have At It

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

At work, I design a lot of brochures and flyers for a huge global company. Like they're Olympic partner big. Anyways, I was doing a business report and the lady made me take out every single Oxford/serial comma. I cringed doing every one. I know both ways are correct but ughh it felt like nails on a chalkboard. And the more things I design, the more I notice the whole company doesn't use them. Like you're a global influence. Let's set the right example for when it comes to comma usage. I don't like it and I'm secretly hoping someone will step up and say "Viva la Oxford Commas!" Until then, I will silently suffer :p

Last edited:
At work, I design a lot of brochures and flyers for a huge global company. Like they're Olympic partner big. Anyways, I was doing a business report and the lady made me take out every single Oxford/serial comma. I cringed doing every one. I know both ways are correct but ughh it felt like nails on a chalkboard. And the more things I design, the more I notice the whole company doesn't use them. Like you're a global influence. Let's set the right example when it comes to comma usage. I don't like it and I'm secretly hoping someone will step up and say "Viva la Oxford Commas!" Until then, I will silently suffer :p
That would kill me, I hate when people don't use Oxford commas haha. I always find myself adding them to my professors' lectures/notes at school even though it's just for me and doesn't matter, just because I can't stand them not being there lol.

Firmly team anti-Oxford comma. Years of PR writing courses have beaten it out of me. A comma followed by the word "and" makes me cringe just a badly as yall seeing it without one.

Last edited:
At work, I design a lot of brochures and flyers for a huge global company. Like they're Olympic partner big. Anyways, I was doing a business report and the lady made me take out every single Oxford/serial comma. I cringed doing every one. I know both ways are correct but ughh it felt like nails on a chalkboard. And the more things I design, the more I notice the whole company doesn't use them. Like you're a global influence. Let's set the right example for when it comes to comma usage. I don't like it and I'm secretly hoping someone will step up and say "Viva la Oxford Commas!" Until then, I will silently suffer :p
My yearbook teacher makes me take it out of everything I write and I hate it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"When we keep our composer and remain classy "

<head explodes> The worst part is that it was on a thread talking about why standardized testing is not good for children. I think that she is proving the need for testing-lol!

Keeping the composer? That sounds like kidnapping and is highly illegal no matter how classy you think you are.

"I wish I was a better tumbler." No! "Was" is past tense. So, you wish that, in the past, you were better than you are now? Really? Use the conditional tense please. Ex. "I wish I were a better tumbler."

That's all. Thank you.

The word is "utmost". Not "upmost". Also, you go through "withdrawal", not "withdraw". Withdraw is a verb, withdrawal is a noun.

(Not directed to anyone in particular... Just mistakes I've seen more often that I'd like.)

Back