All-Star Grammar Thread - Have At It

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

"Of" instead of "have." When I see "could of" I want to scream. That is hands down the one that gets me most, especially because even some of my most intelligent friends do it! I don't understand.

These things:

: colon
; semicolon
, comma
' apostrophe

What is so complicated about them? Why don't people know how to use any of them correctly?

And for the love of God, it's ETC. It's an abbreviation for "et cetera" - it's not ect. Ever.

Don't leave out our friend the ellipsis. ;)

Saw this from our lovely friend over on the "Disturbed" thread..

"It's gone be" I think she was going for 'gonna be' and that is also grammatically incorrect. It should be 'going to'. I've heard people use the 'gone' version in day to day conversations and it always makes me cringe. Not only does your statement not make sense, it's taken from another incorrect term!

Although, whenever I hear "it's gonna be", I think of Nsync and it makes me nostalgic of Justin Timberlake's ramen noodle hair days[emoji7]
a565ede92a47680c68c08663962cebd4.jpg

Saw this from our lovely friend over on the "Disturbed" thread..

"It's gone be" I think she was going for 'gonna be' and that is also grammatically incorrect. It should be 'going to'. I've heard people use the 'gone' version in day to day conversations and it always makes me cringe. Not only does your statement not make sense, it's taken from another incorrect term!

Although, whenever I hear "it's gonna be", I think of Nsync and it makes me nostalgic of Justin Timberlake's ramen noodle hair days[emoji7]
a565ede92a47680c68c08663962cebd4.jpg

Never will get old hahaha

My friend used to work in a bagel shop. One of the owners was Italian, and her nephew came to work and to improve his English. I'll never forget a customer coming up to him and saying 'You speak English so good!' All of the facepalms. All of them. I waited until she walked away and I corrected the sentence for him. I think his favorite thing was all the colloquialisms and such: trash basket/bucket, garbage pail or can, trash can, waste basket. 8 different ways to describe a container in which you throw garbage!

At my job, I get the WORST math mistakes ever, though. I think that hurts me more- the two numbers you're trying to add together are RIGHT ON TOP OF EACH OTHER. How hard is this?!? Or when gratuity is added and suddenly math/logic becomes a completely foreign concept. "But I don't understand where this number is coming from?" 'Well, when you add the cost of the meal, plus tax, plus 18% of your pre-tax total, you get XYZ.' "But, how do you figure it out. And there were 6 of us at this table but only 4 of us ate, does that matter?" Are you REALLY that cheap? Yes it does matter- you took up a table from a paying customer. If you can't function in a public sit down restaurant and don't know how/want to tip- there is a McDonalds down the street.

My friend used to work in a bagel shop. One of the owners was Italian, and her nephew came to work and to improve his English. I'll never forget a customer coming up to him and saying 'You speak English so good!' All of the facepalms. All of them. I waited until she walked away and I corrected the sentence for him. I think his favorite thing was all the colloquialisms and such: trash basket/bucket, garbage pail or can, trash can, waste basket. 8 different ways to describe a container in which you throw garbage!

At my job, I get the WORST math mistakes ever, though. I think that hurts me more- the two numbers you're trying to add together are RIGHT ON TOP OF EACH OTHER. How hard is this?!? Or when gratuity is added and suddenly math/logic becomes a completely foreign concept. "But I don't understand where this number is coming from?" 'Well, when you add the cost of the meal, plus tax, plus 18% of your pre-tax total, you get XYZ.' "But, how do you figure it out. And there were 6 of us at this table but only 4 of us ate, does that matter?" Are you REALLY that cheap? Yes it does matter- you took up a table from a paying customer. If you can't function in a public sit down restaurant and don't know how/want to tip- there is a McDonalds down the street.
And phones have calculators, so there's no excuse!

Just to rub salt into your wound- "spelt" not "spelled"...Yes, you can slap me if I ever go to America ;)
I wrote "spelt" in a paper once and my teacher wrote a question mark next to it. I never realized it wasn't a word (at least it's not here), I say it liked spelt so I thought it was right. Now I hate when I see it.

I also hate when people shorten probably to "prolly" for texts/tweets. I mean if you're gonna shorten it make it "prbly" that at leas looks more like the ordinal word.

I think everyone in eastern Canada has awful grammar. Especially where I'm from. To ask someone what they're doing tonight instead of "what are you doing tonight?" They'll say "you sayin tonight" it drives me crazy.

"Of" instead of "have." When I see "could of" I want to scream. That is hands down the one that gets me most, especially because even some of my most intelligent friends do it! I don't understand.

These things:

: colon
; semicolon
, comma
' apostrophe

What is so complicated about them? Why don't people know how to use any of them correctly?

And for the love of God, it's ETC. It's an abbreviation for "et cetera" - it's not ect. Ever.
ew this reminded me- if you were to search the word "colon" on twitter, you would be disgusted at how many people love their "boyfriends new colon" or love the smell of "their dads colon"

I think everyone in eastern Canada has awful grammar. Especially where I'm from. To ask someone what they're doing tonight instead of "what are you doing tonight?" They'll say "you sayin tonight" it drives me crazy.
all people? or teenagers? I've had people ask that or "what's good" and it just confuses me.. like i don't know, nothing? everything? WHAT ARE YOU ASKING ME

ew this reminded me- if you were to search the word "colon" on twitter, you would be disgusted at how many people love their "new boyfriends colon" or love the smell of "their dads colon"
Hahaha that is so disgustingly funny. I see things like that and I can't help but wonder how they got through elementary school.

Latest posts

Back