OT How Many People Can A Single Person Coach At Once?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

How many people can a single person coach at once?

• Total voters

Official OWECheer

Most likely to post anywhere
Jan 16, 2014
Title says it all.

I've seen teams of considerable size (i.e. 20) that seem to only be coached by one person. Is this feasible?

Last edited:
I'm coaching 19 middle school athletes on my own right now. I have a mom that helps, but she mostly does the parent and administrative stuff. It helps that my girls are older.

Depends on what they are coaching- teams the age and skill of the team, and different types of classes need different ratios. And if you are talking about one practice or a whole season
Agree Usually the "rule" for classes is 8:1. But depends on ages, classes/team and abilities. Most important is All about safety!

I think it depends on the age. I can see coaching a team of 20 Jrs or Srs by yourself because they can be self directed and don't need as much one on one attention. On the other hand, a Mini team of the same size might need three coaches because they need so much more direction

Wow we have 4 coaches on a lot of our teams and 5 on another team.

However if you are talking about tumbling it definitely depends on age and ability of a class. My kid has been in classes that I thought was understaffed and it was annoying.

Wow we have 4 coaches on a lot of our teams and 5 on another team.

However if you are talking about tumbling it definitely depends on age and ability of a class. My kid has been in classes that I thought was understaffed and it was annoying.
Tumbling definitely requires a lower athlete-to-instructor ratio.

In tumbling we try to keep a 7:1 ratio. For teams, our mini 1, junior 3, and senior 4 have two coaches, one is the head coach and the other is an assistant coach but they are all senior coaches. Our junior 1 has two (one head coach plus an assistant coach , plus a junior coach and our youth 2 has one head coach, two senior coaches that assist the team, and one junior coach. Our rec teams each have two coaches on them, and special needs has one coach and at least one helper per child.

Sorry for the disgusting format I typed this on my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm coaching 19 middle school athletes on my own right now. I have a mom that helps, but she mostly does the parent and administrative stuff. It helps that my girls are older.

I was in the same situation, coached high school (18 girls) had a mom who is very involved help me collect payments, ran meetings since I couldn't host a meeting cause I coached all star teams too.

I've coached by myself before, when my other coach got prego for sometime I was coaching by myself (4 teams) minis, jr 1 and 2 and sr 1. She came back but could only coach one day. Times I do need another coach, I think it's good to have another set of eyes cause sometimes I don't catch everything

I was in the same situation, coached high school (18 girls) had a mom who is very involved help me collect payments, ran meetings since I couldn't host a meeting cause I coached all star teams too.

I've coached by myself before, when my other coach got prego for sometime I was coaching by myself (4 teams) minis, jr 1 and 2 and sr 1. She came back but could only coach one day. Times I do need another coach, I think it's good to have another set of eyes cause sometimes I don't catch everything
Eeeee minis by yourself would be a nightmare on mats.

I coached 45 rec football cheerleaders this year. Most of the time I had an assistant coach with me. They were sometimes split into two teams, roughly equal in size, but often I taught cheers with everyone together.

I don't recommend it.

If you have a good system of stations and drills and come to practice with a good game plan, it can work out.

Eeeee minis by yourself would be a nightmare on mats.

yea, my first couple seasons of minis were impossible to coach by myself but last season they were all returners so they knew better and they actually wanted to harder stunts, and make their routine look good so they listened better than any of my other teams, times they were jumpy and to excited but other than that it was actually easy!

I coached 45 rec football cheerleaders this year. Most of the time I had an assistant coach with me. They were sometimes split into two teams, roughly equal in size, but often I taught cheers with everyone together.

I don't recommend it.

If you have a good system of stations and drills and come to practice with a good game plan, it can work out.

This reminds me of the time someone said "Hey let's have Varsity and JV do a Homecoming pep rally performance together, and how about YOU choreograph and teach it?"

For those of you doing the math, that's my 27 + 20 more. On a football field. Learning a routine. With myself and my assistant.

NEVER again.

I have 23 on one team. It's not impossible, but sometimes difficult. You can't watch each group stunts all the time, especially if they're learning new skills. I sometimes feel like practices are wasted by the time I spend correcting skills with a portion of the team.
But, when they get it, and it all starts hitting, it's so awesome!

Back