All-Star How Old Were You When You Threw Your First Back Handspring? Full?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

back handspring-6
round off back handspring tuck-9
layout-11
full-13
double-15
standing tuck-got it when i was 13, but lost it. got it again when i was 17, lost it when i was 18 and just got it back (just turned 19). that's right there have times when i'm consistently throwing doubles, but bust miserably on a standing tuck. i still land really short on my standing tuck to this day and i've been working on them since i was NINE. if there is anyone who is like an expert at standing tucks, please help me! i've taken privates with many different tumbling coaches just focusing on standing tucks, but nothing helps. For goodness sake, I can throw standing fulls better than standing tucks haha. I am a lost cause!

back handspring-6
round off back handspring tuck-9
layout-11
full-13
double-15
standing tuck-got it when i was 13, but lost it. got it again when i was 17, lost it when i was 18 and just got it back (just turned 19). that's right there have times when i'm consistently throwing doubles, but bust miserably on a standing tuck. i still land really short on my standing tuck to this day and i've been working on them since i was NINE. if there is anyone who is like an expert at standing tucks, please help me! i've taken privates with many different tumbling coaches just focusing on standing tucks, but nothing helps. For goodness sake, I can throw standing fulls better than standing tucks haha. I am a lost cause!

wow, lol, i think this will be me. i'll probably get a full before a standing tuck...

Threw my first BHS at..age 11? 12? Maybe a bit before that? I probably had it before that/had been working it longer, but I only remember competing it at gymnastics comps when I was in 7th grade. I started comp gym late..I was dancing before that lol Got it back again at age 17/18? Then again at age 19ish? I never got higher than that..tumbling wasn't my forte anymore and my body just doesn't like it lol

handspring - 5
full - 6th grade ( 11 or 12)
double - freshman year - but was doing highschool cheer so couldn't compete it...thats why i joined allstar :]
standing full - junior year
specialty pass thru double - junior year

tore ligament in my knee last year..and re-injured it at worlds ( sucked!) so I had to pretty much start all over for this year.. but i still have my double, standing full and now working on 2 to dub. Now im 20 and on international level 5!

I started gymnastics when I was 10 1/2 and I got my backhand spring about the same time

Gymnastics:
Backhandspring: 10 1/2
Standing backhandspring: 11
Round off tuck: 11 (lost it becasue it was above my level in gymnastics and I got it at my sister's cheer gym)
Round off multiples: 11
Landed my first standing tuck: 12
Round off backhand spring tuck: 12
Punch front: 13

Started Cheerleading:
Round off backhandspring tuck consistant and pretty: 15 (just turned 15)
Round off backhandspring layout: 15 (almost 16)
Started turning fulls: 16
Landed my first and only (scary) full I have actually landed: 16

Switched gyms:
Standing tuck: 17
Specialty thru to layout: 17
Jumps to tuck: 17
Working (pretty and proper) fulls: Now at 17 1/2

my daughter
bhs-5
standing back 10
took a break
full 12
double full 13
front thru to double 14
arabian to double 15
two to full and three to double 14

The only thing I will say is that before she got each skill she told me was going to do it. She seemed to need to prepare mentally. Even from an early age she would talk about it and mentally prepare then do the work. The success only comes when the drive is internal. She had great coaches with gymnastic backgrounds and was taught excellent technique. It is easier to build bigger skills when the foundation is good.

Threw my first BHS at..age 11? 12? Maybe a bit before that? I probably had it before that/had been working it longer, but I only remember competing it at gymnastics comps when I was in 7th grade. I started comp gym late..I was dancing before that lol Got it back again at age 17/18? Then again at age 19ish? I never got higher than that..tumbling wasn't my forte anymore and my body just doesn't like it lol

Agreed... as a teammate of mine once said- "Backhandsprings give me old people shakes" lol

i did rec gymnastics on and off from age 6-17...
backhandspring - 4th grade, age 10
back tuck - 6th grade, age 12
quit for 2 1/2 years
layout - 9th grade, age 15
i was working fulls when i quit for good in 11th grade at age 17. i threw them alone on tumbl trak, but never did get to on floor

BHS- 16.

Never give up! I never thought I'd be able to do one and spent such a long time working it. Started when I was about 14, took a break from classes because I was so busy, then worked on it for at least a year and a half before I threw it on my own.

Back