High School How You Got More Guys To Try-out For Your Team?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 13, 2011
I was just wondering how everyone got guys to try-out for their teams. Were you just lucky and they were interested or did you have to do some serious work! Tell your stories or ideas that you have to get them into the gym!!! :)

Our varsity for the first time this season will be coed! We had a stunt clinic a few weeks before tryouts just to be able to work on some stuff and just for fun some of the older girls had some of their guy friends come and they all came as a joke. Long story short at the end of that 2 hours they thought cheer was harder than football and that it was really fun. A lot of them were seniors so they couldnt try out but 5 guys did and now they absolutely love cheerleading.

So use your girls. Tell them to encourage some of the more popular guys to come to a clinic or practice, because other guys will follow the crowd. Make sure its fun for them, but also prove its hard enough for them to even bother.

We were coed last season but with only 1 guy and I want more this season and he's trying to but a lot of guys they just dont want to try it

Are you friends with other coaches at the school? Cause our coaches are really good friends with the football, track and baseball coaches at my school so they helped in the encouragement. You could try that!

I am but the other coaches don't like to loose any of the boys from their teams

This year the boys just came it was strange we have 8 boys football season with 2 football players joining us competition season for a total of 10. What I can suggest to you for getting boys is to look at your basketball team and wrestling team and see what boys are riding the bench. Those are the ones you want to target. While they may not be the most athletic kids they obviously are interested in sports and we have found with our guys that they pick up either tumbling or stunting very quickly. After you get a few boys usually they pull in another one or two with them. We usually do not get freshman. Most of the guys we get are Jrs or Srs. We were lucky enough to be blessed with two freshman this year. You also want to find that one guy that excels at stunting and him off to everyone else. We hold a lot of open gyms and we even let the guys that we know will not do it come in and try. That way when the ones who are willing to do it decide to join there is less criticism from the jocks at the school. Getting just one football player is huge. Football players generally have a bond with their teamates and may convince one other one to join. If you want any other ideas or have any questions just as. 4 years ago I believe we only had 2 guys and now we are up to 10. Sometimes its hard work and sometimes its luck.

This year the boys just came it was strange we have 8 boys football season with 2 football players joining us competition season for a total of 10. What I can suggest to you for getting boys is to look at your basketball team and wrestling team and see what boys are riding the bench. Those are the ones you want to target. While they may not be the most athletic kids they obviously are interested in sports and we have found with our guys that they pick up either tumbling or stunting very quickly. After you get a few boys usually they pull in another one or two with them. We usually do not get freshman. Most of the guys we get are Jrs or Srs. We were lucky enough to be blessed with two freshman this year. You also want to find that one guy that excels at stunting and him off to everyone else. We hold a lot of open gyms and we even let the guys that we know will not do it come in and try. That way when the ones who are willing to do it decide to join there is less criticism from the jocks at the school. Getting just one football player is huge. Football players generally have a bond with their teamates and may convince one other one to join. If you want any other ideas or have any questions just as. 4 years ago I believe we only had 2 guys and now we are up to 10. Sometimes its hard work and sometimes its luck.
This was my first season at this school. In the past my other schools I had no problem used to have more guys than girls actually but for some reason the boys here are shy about it. Last season I had a football player walk in and like you said he picked up tumbling quickly and everything else. He's trying to recruit his friends so we'll see how many he gets once we hold tryouts in August. The open gyms don't work so well for us because normally it just attracts kids that want to goof off and run around the gym so we had to stop those for now.

Also sometimes some schools just aren't meant to have a huge coed squad. It depends on how big the town is and how their feeling is towards guys cheering. I have seen some small towns react poorly to guys cheering.

The school has over 700 students per class and the Athletic Director and Head of school are on my side with pushing big for a coed team. There's so many guys with natural tumbling talent that they just learned in the street and I see them doing it in the halls but the second I bring up anything cheerleading they are always like "Na Coach that isn't for me" The school is Albany HS its in the heart of the capital and most of the students are African american. I guess that could be a part of it and I have a feeling that it might take a few years to have a good girl to boy ratio but I just wish I could speed up the process.

The school has over 700 students per class and the Athletic Director and Head of school are on my side with pushing big for a coed team. There's so many guys with natural tumbling talent that they just learned in the street and I see them doing it in the halls but the second I bring up anything cheerleading they are always like "Na Coach that isn't for me" The school is Albany HS its in the heart of the capital and most of the students are African american. I guess that could be a part of it and I have a feeling that it might take a few years to have a good girl to boy ratio but I just wish I could speed up the process.
Also the Athletic Director is from the south so she grew up with true southern coed cheerleading lol

Yeah I am not sure if its just our area or what is is but we just don't appeal to the African American boys. We have one on the team right now and he loves it.

We've found that once you show guys the partner stunting aspect of cheerleading, they get pretty interested. It's a pretty rare ability to be able to balance a girl on top of your hands.

Yeah the one boy we had last season he was so amused that he could single base. I had him come watch my Coed Level 6 team and he just became obsessed with cheerleading after seeing that so I'm hoping he rubs off on his friends lol

Yeah I am not sure if its just our area or what is is but we just don't appeal to the African American boys. We have one on the team right now and he loves it.
Thankfully the one boy is African American so I'm hoping that works in our favor.

ask your male gymnasts. all the male cheerleaders I know started out as gymnasts. and the plus side is, boys gymnastics is spring and cheerleading (competitive) is winter. In Illinois at least.

Back