All-Star Idea: Multi Location Gyms Must Have Different Colors At Each Gym Location

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

No, the primary reason would be so judges and staff know who they are. If the announcer can't get it right, what are the odds the judges aren't either? I would like to have the confidence knowing that my kids team X that went back to back with their sister team Y was judged as the correct team, I personally, don't think that's a low priority. If a gym has multiple locations and they don't compete against each other, then it is a non-issue.

A judge shouldn't care what city a team is from (for that matter what program either). They should just judge the routine in front of them regardless of what uniform or color they are wearing.

No, the primary reason would be so judges and staff know who they are. If the announcer can't get it right, what are the odds the judges aren't either? I would like to have the confidence knowing that my kids team X that went back to back with their sister team Y was judged as the correct team, I personally, don't think that's a low priority. If a gym has multiple locations and they don't compete against each other, then it is a non-issue.

But would colors really help ? Visually, the teams would stand out more, yes (so it would be easier to remember that the green team had 2 falls, and the yellow team hit clean). But if people get confused about which team is from which location, wouldn't they be just as confused about which color is which location ?

A judge shouldn't care what city a team is from (for that matter what program either). They should just judge the routine in front of them regardless of what uniform or color they are wearing.

The idea started so gyms could compete their locations against each other and always have competition. There are other benefits, but right now there is a general effort to always keep teams from the same locations in different divisions even if the division shouldn't be split in that way.

I stated a few pages back my daughters team went up against their sister team at all competitions a couple of seasons ago with the exception of two. At awards, they were mistaken as each other, twice, with the kids correcting the MC as they were walking the trophy to the wrong team. At a recent competition, they put up the wrong gym location for the wrong team. As a coach, athlete, or parent, why would I be confident that the judges aren't confused, as well? It's not a matter of anyone caring about what city they're from or if the audience knows who they are, it's solely a way for the judges to identify the two teams properly. If I see Plano on the back of the uniform, a judge can look and make sure my score sheet says "CA Plano", if it says "CA Austin" I know I have the wrong paperwork in front of me. With schedule changes, I tend to think there is a very good chance teams could be mistaken as each other.

But would colors really help ? Visually, the teams would stand out more, yes (so it would be easier to remember that the green team had 2 falls, and the yellow team hit clean). But if people get confused about which team is from which location, wouldn't they be just as confused about which color is which location ?

Is it 100% fool proof? I'm sure it isn't, but it certainly would reduce the chances of the teams being mixed up. If CA Plano is in blue, and the score sheet reads "CA Plano-Blue Uniform" and "CA Austin-White Uniform" I think there is less chance of them scoring Plano as Austin and vice versa . I personally like the location name on the back vs. different colors. Again, I think this is a non-issue for gyms, coaches, athletes and parents that don't go up against their sister gym, but for those that do, I think it's a valid concern especially if there comes a time they go up against three or more of their sister locations.

I stated a few pages back my daughters team went up against their sister team at all competitions a couple of seasons ago with the exception of two. At awards, they were mistaken as each other, twice, with the kids correcting the MC as they were walking the trophy to the wrong team. At a recent competition, they put up the wrong gym location for the wrong team. As a coach, athlete, or parent, why would I be confident that the judges aren't confused, as well? It's not a matter of anyone caring about what city they're from or if the audience knows who they are, it's solely a way for the judges to identify the two teams properly. If I see Plano on the back of the uniform, a judge can look and make sure my score sheet says "CA Plano", if it says "CA Austin" I know I have the wrong paperwork in front of me. With schedule changes, I tend to think there is a very good chance teams could be mistaken as each other.

Is it 100% fool proof? I'm sure it isn't, but it certainly would reduce the chances of the teams being mixed up. If CA Plano is in blue, and the score sheet reads "CA Plano-Blue Uniform" and "CA Austin-White Uniform" I think there is less chance of them scoring Plano as Austin and vice versa . I personally like the location name on the back vs. different colors. Again, I think this is a non-issue for gyms, coaches, athletes and parents that don't go up against their sister gym, but for those that do, I think it's a valid concern especially if there comes a time they go up against three or more of their sister locations.
I would think then it should be up to the individual gyms to have the choice to make this distinction between their locations if they so choose to. If they have had issues with team confusion, by all means let them color coordinate by location or put their gym's city's name on the uniform. I'm not sure why this would need to be made a global rule though.

I don't see this going anywhere because it would just cost everyone more unnecessary money and time. If gym owners truly believe this is a problem than they would get different colored uniforms for different locations on their own without having a rule...

I would think then it should be up to the individual gyms to have the choice to make this distinction between their locations if they so choose to. If they have had issues with team confusion, by all means let them color coordinate by location or put their gym's city's name on the uniform. I'm not sure why this would need to be made a global rule though.

As an EP would you want to make sure you were giving the paid bid to the right team? If you have 3 or 4 different locations in the same division (a future possibility), with the same uniform, and there is a need for a schedule change, don't you as a judge want to make sure the correct paperwork is in front of you for the team on the floor? No, I don't see this as a huge problem now, but at the rate large gyms are acquiring multiple locations, I do see it as a future problem with a shared responsibility. My prediction, it will take one time for people to question if the paid bid went to the wrong location and no one will care at that point if they have to write their location on their forehead.

Back in my dance days someone from each group had to wear a number while we competed.

Wouldn't this practice solve most of the problems outlined in this thread?

What if the team just walked on the floor with a sign for their location; kinda like gymnastics teams change rotations? Cheaper and just as effective, no?

The Fierce Board: If you're gonna be talked about, shouldn't you at least be here to defend yourself?

Or even cheaper - ask EPs to announce team name in addition to gym name when a team takes the floor. (City too if you want to get all crazy.) Alternative: Ask EPs to check for proper scoresheets in front of the judges.
I have always wished the eps would do this all the time anyway.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android Coming soon, Cheer Dad's gofundme retirement account. Stay tuned

What if the team just walked on the floor with a sign for their location; kinda like gymnastics teams change rotations? Cheaper and just as effective, no?
The Fierce Board: If you're gonna be talked about, shouldn't you at least be here to defend yourself?

I think any of these ideas are an improvement and can help prevent errors. The only reason I like location on the back, is at any given time, a judge, an EP, the MC, the jumbotron guy, backstage staff, whomever, can look up and know with confidence who they are. They don't have to worry about missing the sign, not hearing the announcement, or worry about 3-4 locations standing up at awards clapping for their sister location and the MC wondering which one the trophy goes to. Location would allow gyms to keep their colors, it allows for crossovers without buying/borrowing multiple uniforms and it does not hinder uniform design and creativity. I guess I'm not understanding why the location on the back would be so expensive or considered going "all crazy", but I do believe this issue will take care of itself as problems arise. At this point, any of the above are improvements and worthwhile in my opinion.

@King to keep with the example, I have a kid at CEA Random as well as one at CEA "main/flagship/whatever" i don't believe color coding my kid as "less" than my other one has any positive results for kids.

See my previous post.

And for two seconds can we talk about the fact we don't have a universal score sheet, a viable athlete registration or credentialing system and do have uniform "rules" that are interpreted in 67 different ways and get a handle on what's really important before we start dictating to private businesses how they have to operate. I don't think the industry has a handle on policing what's out there let alone adding the color police to gym uniforms.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android
I wish I could shimmy this 1,00 times. these are PRIVATELY held businesses. Why does anyone think we have a right to dictate their branding?

Back in my dance days someone from each group had to wear a number while we competed.

Wouldn't this practice solve most of the problems outlined in this thread?
We still do numbers now,but instead of the kids having to wear the number,they announce the number before they head on. So it something like this,"Please welcome to the stage,Kiana L,number 327,from A & K Dance and Acro,preforming in the lyrical category to Gold Dust " or for groups,it's number, group name,category and studio. The same format could work for cheer; "next on the mat is number 203,Senior Elite from Cheer Extreme-Kernesrsville,NC,in the Senior Large All Girl Division." Still could solve the problem,without any major changes.

Latest posts

Back