OT I'm Putting This In This Section Because I Don't See An All Star Dance Section

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Jul 29, 2014
So my cousin (really my cousin) is starting an all star dance team in May of 2015. She wants to know how to explain how important it is to get their child insured before the season starts. Insurance is 30.00 per athlete without transfers/crossovers. Every 30.00 goes to each member there is no combing even if they are related. How can my cousin explain this process without sounding too demanding?

We would do that. But for cheer you have to be certified. Dance you do not. So it would be pointless to me to start up a small cheer program next year and I don't have my certification to teach.

We would do that. But for cheer you have to be certified. Dance you do not. So it would be pointless to me to start up a small cheer program next year and I don't have my certification to teach.

Not exactly accurate; but okay, I'll bite.

Being USASF certified SHOULD be required, but anyone can start up a cheer facility without it. For example, our local gym is USAG certified with several of the coaches certified to be on the floor during meets and at least one is now certified to judge. However, none of the current cheer coaches are certified through USASF---it's being worked on, but the program wasn't started by anyone who was certified. Another gym 20 minutes away isn't certified, though one about 45 minutes away does have a coach who is certified.

As for dance not needing to be certified, again correct; but if your cousin doesn't have the correct foundation in dance and doesn't bring in the correct coaches, it's going to be a nightmare.

Most youth activities have some sort of annual registration fee that often covers insurance and recurring administrative costs. It is totally normal for parents to be charged these things. If you would like to have a list of benefits of having insurance vs not having it, your insurance company can likely help, as they will probably have a standard package for youth activities including dance.

Not exactly accurate; but okay, I'll bite.

Being USASF certified SHOULD be required, but anyone can start up a cheer facility without it. For example, our local gym is USAG certified with several of the coaches certified to be on the floor during meets and at least one is now certified to judge. However, none of the current cheer coaches are certified through USASF---it's being worked on, but the program wasn't started by anyone who was certified. Another gym 20 minutes away isn't certified, though one about 45 minutes away does have a coach who is certified.

As for dance not needing to be certified, again correct; but if your cousin doesn't have the correct foundation in dance and doesn't bring in the correct coaches, it's going to be a nightmare.
Preach. New cheer program opened near us and it's staffed by newly aged out super seniors that (I'm sure) haven't had a moment's training in their life. Sweet kids, but they're not coaches. They don't know the first thing about coaching short of having been an allstar cheerleader for a few years. They have no tumble technique coaching training. Pretty sure the gym was started by a disgruntled mom from what I understand.

They have teams and (from social media) some happy people over there, well see how they do this season, It just wouldn't be my choice to put my kids with kids who aren't trained coaches....but there's nothing illegal about it.

Preach. New cheer program opened near us and it's staffed by newly aged out super seniors that (I'm sure) haven't had a moment's training in their life. Sweet kids, but they're not coaches. They don't know the first thing about coaching short of having been an allstar cheerleader for a few years. They have no tumble technique coaching training. Pretty sure the gym was started by a disgruntled mom from what I understand.

They have teams and (from social media) some happy people over there, well see how they do this season, It just wouldn't be my choice to put my kids with kids who aren't trained coaches....but there's nothing illegal about it.

How do you know these people are untrained or have no cheer experience? Has that been confirmed. No offense, but you really shouldn't assume that they never had cheer experience or don't have certain coaches when you never asked or stepped foot inside the building. Just because it was started by a parent who probably wasn't happy at the old gym if that's what you meant, doesn't mean the gym will be horrible.

How do you know these people are untrained or have no cheer experience? Has that been confirmed. No offense, but you really shouldn't assume that they never had cheer experience or don't have certain coaches when you never asked or stepped foot inside the building. Just because it was started by a parent who probably wasn't happy at the old gym if that's what you meant, doesn't mean the gym will be horrible.
1) Because I know them personally and have for years. And given the fact they were on teams with my kids I'm pretty sure I know exactly what their cheer experience is. I also know they've never been to a coaches conference, training not are they USASF certified. Because I know them personally and have for years...did I mention that? I watched one of these kids grow up.

2) I described them as super seniors who aged out which obviously means they have cheer experience.

3) I never said they would be horrible, I believe I said they were sweet kids (because they are) I just wouldn't want my kids coached by kids.

4) Perhaps you're the one that shouldn't be making assumptions.

And here I thought you'd settled down with the instantaneously salty posts.

1) Because I know them personally and have for years. And given the fact they were on teams with my kids I'm pretty sure I know exactly what their cheer experience is. I also know they've never been to a coaches conference, training not are they USASF certified. Because I know them personally and have for years...did I mention that? I watched one of these kids grow up.

2) I described them as super seniors who aged out which obviously means they have cheer experience.

3) I never said they would be horrible, I believe I said they were sweet kids (because they are) I just wouldn't want my kids coached by kids.

4) Perhaps you're the one that shouldn't be making assumptions.

And here I thought you'd settled down with the instantaneously salty posts.
Well your post is misrepresented.

You said haven't had a years training in their life.... What else am I supposed to think?

I will admit I did misread some things, but you never said until now you knew these girls personally.

I'm not being salty at all with my post. Just like you, I have the right to tell my opinion. I did say no offense. Meaning, I don't mean to offend you.
Because I could be wrong.

But maybe you should re-read your post. You never mentioned in the original post you knew the girls.

You said haven't had a years training in their life.... What else am I supposed to think?

I will admit I did misread some things, but you never said until now you knew these girls personally.

I'm not being salty at all with my post. Just like you, I have the right to tell my opinion. I did say no offense. Meaning, I don't mean to offend you.

But maybe you should re-read your post. You never mentioned in the original post you knew the girls.
Lawd here we go again....:rolleyes:
Her post was not "misrepresented" although I don't even know what you mean by that. And if you take 30 seconds to re-read she mentions things like they are sweet kids and super seniors so the fact that she knows them is implied, but if you are going to go back and argue the obvious and tell stories again that is your prerogative.
Tell your cousin good luck with her dance studio....

The biggest issue I have with "I'm going to start my own _______" posts is that they should be preceded by "I've been a coach for X years and have been a gym director for X years and now I'm going to branch out on my own" posts.

I've written about 5 responses to this that can all be categorized by different colorful, yet entertaining, adjectives.

Oddly, @quitthedrama pretty much said the jist of all of them.

10 points to gryffindor!

Back