OT I'm Sorry I'm Asking This (bow Question)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Nov 3, 2010
I can not find a good video on how to make bows. I'm talking about the Yella Ribbon quality bows or some that are in the show your bows thread (that are gorgeous by the way)

Yall know I'm only asking this because I've searched the search bar with no help, searched youtube with no help, and googled it only to get some incomplete instructions and janky looking bows. I see you guys talking about spandex and mystic fabric and I'm just so lost because these people are just using this ribbon on a roll.

I don't have a good video for you, I'm still working through trial and error. My poor friend is being forced to wear a zillion bows so I can figure out which techniques work and what falls apart (she secretly loves me for it).

What I've learnt with fabric bows is that fray stopper sucks, the best thing is to use single sided bonded interfacing. I slowly iron it onto the back of spandex or any fabric I want which makes it firmer and easier to cut straight lines or curves or shapes, pretty much anything. Once I cut out the shape (either with scissors or a rotary blade and ruler), I use a spray adhesive to attach it to backing ribbon. Fabric glue made the whole thing too thick to scrunch and fold, and I'm terrified of hot glue guns. Spray adhesive makes some fabrics really stiff, but not so much with spandex. You can soften it by running a hairdryer over it if it gets too stiff when you get to the scrunching it all together stage. I like to scrunch in three parts - do the center and each side separately so I can shape them - and my fingers aren't skilled enough to hold it all together and try to wrap stuff around it at the same time :oops:

2vs5j5i.jpg

I made this one with the technique I described above -you better not call it janky or I will cry (while wearing it, which will make it that much more tragic to watch). After using a hairdryer to scrunch it together, it then stiffened up again so the loops really hold their rounded shape (not sure yet if this is a good thing or not :confused:). I'm still figuring out the perfect proportions for loops and tails... and yes I'm making bows instead of studying.

I don't have a good video for you, I'm still working through trial and error. My poor friend is being forced to wear a zillion bows so I can figure out which techniques work and what falls apart (she secretly loves me for it).

What I've learnt with fabric bows is that fray stopper sucks, the best thing is to use single sided bonded interfacing. I slowly iron it onto the back of spandex or any fabric I want which makes it firmer and easier to cut straight lines or curves or shapes, pretty much anything. Once I cut out the shape (either with scissors or a rotary blade and ruler), I use a spray adhesive to attach it to backing ribbon. Fabric glue made the whole thing too thick to scrunch and fold, and I'm terrified of hot glue guns. Spray adhesive makes some fabrics really stiff, but not so much with spandex. You can soften it by running a hairdryer over it if it gets too stiff when you get to the scrunching it all together stage. I like to scrunch in three parts - do the center and each side separately so I can shape them - and my fingers aren't skilled enough to hold it all together and try to wrap stuff around it at the same time :oops:

2vs5j5i.jpg

I made this one with the technique I described above -you better not call it janky or I will cry (while wearing it, which will make it that much more tragic to watch). After using a hairdryer to scrunch it together, it then stiffened up again so the loops really hold their rounded shape (not sure yet if this is a good thing or not :confused:). I'm still figuring out the perfect proportions for loops and tails... and yes I'm making bows instead of studying.

I LOVE that bow. Honestly, it's the best bow I've seen so far on how to make them haha. I'm going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow and I'm trying to get a list together of what to get. So spandex fabric and then any other fabric of design's that I like? Also, what is the black underneath and stuff? I have a feeling it gets easier once you know what you're doing haha

I LOVE that bow. Honestly, it's the best bow I've seen so far on how to make them haha. I'm going to Hobby Lobby tomorrow and I'm trying to get a list together of what to get. So spandex fabric and then any other fabric of design's that I like? Also, what is the black underneath and stuff? I have a feeling it gets easier once you know what you're doing haha
:) The black stuff underneath is just cheap satin/polyester ribbon. I can't find three inch ribbon anywhere here, so I just use two lengths of one and a half inch ribbon. I've tried fabric as backing, but it frays and putting interface on it makes a big, obvious white seam along the edges where it meets the fancy fun fabric. Lots of people use grosgrain ribbon as it tends to be a bit stiffer and give the bow a firmer shape, but I find the spray adhesive and interfacing plus grosgrain makes it too thick. I may regret this decision after a while and it all falls apart, but so far so good! Best to get the minimum on fabric til you see how it works. Sometimes they're a disaster to work with and look a hot mess even if they seem pretty on the shelf.

Basic list: interfacing, cheap backing ribbon, cheap thin ribbon to wrap the middle, fabrics, spray adhesive, maybe get some basic fabric glue as well in case the edges don't stick down properly - spray can be unwieldy for small fixes
Things you might have at home: ruler, scissors, thread (to wrap around the bow while scrunching), hair elastics, newspaper to spray on (do it outside), iron!

Most people have just read through the show your bows posting to learn what materials to use. For Yella Ribbon quality you just need to know the length of the ribbon to get the size and then iron the fabric to the ribbon with a hot press instead of an iron (or get the iron really hot and make sure to get out any bubbles) and then when you fold them just make sure that the tails are touching at the ends and then adjust the bow to the placement you want it before putting the center wrap on.

Also I would suggest using heat'n'bond lite for attaching the fabric to the ribbon. It helps make it stiffer and will keep together really well. Just make sure you iron it till the glue is perfectly melted or it will fall apart. For the fraying just use a lighter or a wood burner along the edges. Use twisty ties or ribbon wire to hold the bow together and wrap it once so you can adjust the bow before you wrap it fully and make it tight

I read through all of the show you bows post and it will really help out when I get better at making bows. I'm going to get some more ribbon tomorrow because I wanted to get some lace and try to find some 3 inch ribbon.

Back