All-Star Is It A Failure To Not Progress?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That is the beauty of all-star cheer. The way the current system is set up, it is virtually impossible to be incapable. Especially in lower levels, there is a team and position for everyone. Capability is completely subjective in this sport, and thus dependent upon the goals of the athlete, coaches, and parents.
I think you understand exactly what I'm saying though....I'm saying if it were obvious my child wasn't going to progress past a certain point after a few years, then maybe she's not meant to do it competitively. Now if she wants to do it for fun, the beauty of REC sports is exactly the same w/o the hefty price tag, leaving me the opportunity to explore other options for her if she so chooses. I also disagree w/the certain level of subjectivity you're suggesting. Now if a high school girl starts all star w/o any experience in her life and never makes it past a level two, I'd be more inclined to understand. If however, a person was introduced earlier on to the sport, and did not make it past a level 2 after 10 years....well, like I've said, that would be like the equivalent of paying for expensive singing lessons when it's clear your child cannot really sing.

I went to a CEA gym for tryouts not knowing what to expect. I have a strong backhandspring and I'm of senior age group. There was only one senior team at the location and it was an open level 5 team.... needless to say that I left crying and horrified thinking that I wasn't "good enough"... Nobody at the gym discouraged me but being surrounded by higher level athletes was intimidating. Knowing that it is a business, I don't think they would have turned me away. With this knowledge, I couldn't stay and take some other little girls' spot who actually has the skills. I wish CEA had more lower level teams for people who haven't progressed like myself.
Which CEA gym if you don't mind me asking? I'm pretty sure that her philosophy is that everyone makes a team..I know it is at Kernersville and don't see a reason why it would be different at another location...:confused:

Which CEA gym if you don't mind me asking? I'm pretty sure that her philosophy is that everyone makes a team..I know it is at Kernersville and don't see a reason why it would be different at another location...:confused:
and they didn't turn me away... I left voluntarily in the middle of tryouts. There were some junior age girls who would die to be on that senior team. I didn't want to be the reason they didn't get on because of a filled roster.

I went to a CEA gym for tryouts not knowing what to expect. I have a strong backhandspring and I'm of senior age group. There was only one senior team at the location and it was an open level 5 team.... needless to say that I left crying and horrified thinking that I wasn't "good enough"... Nobody at the gym discouraged me but being surrounded by higher level athletes was intimidating. Knowing that it is a business, I don't think they would have turned me away. With this knowledge, I couldn't stay and take some other little girls' spot who actually has the skills. I wish CEA had more lower level teams for people who haven't progressed like myself.

I feel sorry that you left. Just because your location didn't have a team for you simply because of numbers, I know they have a team in the program for you. I've seen the Senior level 2 kids in Raleigh have a great time and I've enjoyed getting to know some of them.

I want to add that it was very mature and selfless for you to give up a spot for other kids. Just don't think anyone would have possibly turned you away.

I feel sorry that you left. Just because your location didn't have a team for you simply because of numbers, I know they have a team in the program for you. I've seen the Senior level 2 kids in Raleigh have a great time and I've enjoyed getting to know some of them.

I want to add that it was very mature and selfless for you to give up a spot for other kids. Just don't think anyone would have possibly turned you away.

Thanks. The decision had to do with distance also. The Lake Norman location was roughly about 2 hours away. The rest of the gyms are just too far to drive with me still cheering at my high school.

I beg to differ...There are more sports, extra curricular activities, etc. than competitive cheer to choose from (oh and school cheer technically makes 3 different choices for cheer ;) . Perhaps my child would find her niche in ballet, tap, piano, jazz, gymnastics, playing the flute, etc.. Now she can't do all of them bc a)I can't afford them all price wise and time wise and b)I feel like all star cheer is a big commitment. If you're going to commit to it, I feel it needs to be your priority. Mostly bc it is truly a sport that is completely dependent on team work and if you have to miss practice for ballet or piano lessons, then you are letting your entire team down bc they are putting 100% into it.

and they didn't turn me away... I left voluntarily in the middle of tryouts. There were some junior age girls who would die to be on that senior team. I didn't want to be the reason they didn't get on because of a filled roster.

that was so selfless of you, but I really wish you would have stuck it out or at least talked to one of the coaches to see if there was a workable solution. It makes me sad bc you really wanted to be a part of CEA but didn't bc of it :( There are teams for everyone (despite what others might think ;) )

I just think there are a lot more choices than CEA or a rec team.

You're right..school teams are awesome too :)

Also I'd like to add something if I may....I actually believe in the CEA way and in the immediate future and beyond foresee my daughter progressing all the way eventually (based on their philosophy and quality of instruction), so I was speaking hypothetically w/regards to my daughter. Do I think she'll progress slower? In some things yes, in some things no bc as mentioned, every kid progresses differently..they all have their individual strengths and weaknesses. However, based on the top notch instruction she's receiving and watching how much she's progressed just within this past year, I'm literally like "WOW"! I'm excited for her future in all-star. As long as she wants to do it, so she shall. I don't anticipate her not progressing based on the CEA way. If she stagnates at any point (for a lengthy period of time, not just a "mental block"), I suspect it will be bc she doesn't have the passion, dedication, drive, or commitment to want to continue in the sport (which is why I would pull her out), but I know it won't be due to lack of quality instruction. Kids often rise to the occasion when people believe in them, set high goals and standards for them, they have a supportive and nurturing environment, and they have quality instruction, regardless if we're talking about sports or academics.

I'm sorry if I offended anyone bc they differ w/my opinion. I understand what many of you are trying to say and I think you're under the impression that I'm knocking lower level teams or athletes who progress slower...that's not the case at all. I'm glad that you are giving your children this opportunity bc unfortunately this is an expensive sport and I wish more people could participate. It's just my personal opinion from what I've seen w/people in general...Sure, there are def cases where kids have a genuine passion for the sport and won't progress past a lower level for whatever reason, I just think they are the exception rather than the rule. I think most kids who take this sport seriously, really love it, etc. can and will make genuine progression (I think the ones who don't probably have something else going on and it might benefit them to explore other alternatives) They may not ever have a standing full, but be excellent bases, dancers, flyers, etc. (or be level 5), but I genuinely believe they'd surpass a level 2 (with maybe the exception of a HS student starting all star for the first time w/no cheer background at all). If you can afford it, you do see your child make progression (even if it's sharper motions or jumps), and most importantly, your child loves it, then great! I'm not going to judge you or take that away from you. I just believe in a different philosophy with regards to cheer than some of you.

Also- did anyone take into account that it may NOT mean just moving up a skill level, but also might mean moving up an age level? Maybe instead of having them on Mini 2, they'd be on Youth 2? Mini 3 to Youth 3? To Junior 3 or 4? etc.

Personally, for me, I can't imagine paying what some of y'all pay for cheer for it to be a social activity. I can't, sorry. When my mother paid for me to do gymnastics, I was there to COMPETE GYMNASTICS. Having fun? Sure. Learning about myself and growing as a person? Definitely. But you bet your bottom dollar I needed to show SOME progress (even if it meant perfecting the skills I had while learning my new ones) or my mom would have been looking into what was going on. She would have asked me if I still wanted to do it, if my heart was still in it or if I was having trouble with something and needed a private lesson. My parents did everything they could to give us whatever opportunity they wanted (and we weren't made of money), but I needed to show that it was what I TRULY wanted to do or I'd have to switch to just classes. I stayed for two years on level 4, and after the first year I knew I would, and that it was a common thing to do. I needed to perfect my technique in a lot of areas. I never felt pressured to get a skill or like it was 'Gymnastics or Die', but I had to prove my dedication. I was growing as a person BECAUSE of my dedication and focus on my skills/capabilities. And I doubt gymnastics was HALF of what y'all pay. If my mom wanted me to work on 'team building' or 'self awareness'...that was what my MUCH cheaper 'youth group' at the YMCA was for. That being said, not moving up a level didn't make me a 'failure' and that's NOT what Courtney was saying. She, and I could tell from my gymnastics coaches expressions they felt the same way, felt they were failing US, the athlete, if we weren't moving up. You don't think my gymnastics coaches felt like they were failing me every time I couldn't stick my handstand landing on beam (yet I could do a cartwheel on it- go figure)? We agonized every time we worked on beam. My body just COULD NOT do it, and it was a great source of frustration for both of us.

Personally, for me, I can't imagine paying what some of y'all pay for cheer for it to be a social activity. I can't, sorry.

Did someone say they wanted their kid to cheer purely as a social activity? I sure didn't. My CP cheered because she loved the sport. The friends are a really great by-product!

From my understanding, if you come to your one practice a week and work really hard by the end of the season you will be at the correct level.

Back