All-Star January 1st - Amnesty Day

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ok I am going to thread hijack here ;) As it is not out here, I cannot ask any of my UK friends. About 10 years ago I dep'ed in the pit band for the West End production for 3 months - Les Mis is my all time fave musical. Given that history I am torn whether I want to see it on the big screen or keep my threatre tinted glasses on. I couldn't bear it if it was 'weak' or anything. I've read mixed reviews, I guess I just don't want to come away angry at what they have done to 'my' LOL musical ;)

Ok I am going to thread hijack here ;) As it is not out here, I cannot ask any of my UK friends. About 10 years ago I dep'ed in the pit band for the West End production for 3 months - Les Mis is my all time fave musical. Given that history I am torn whether I want to see it on the big screen or keep my threatre tinted glasses on. I couldn't bear it if it was 'weak' or anything. I've read mixed reviews, I guess I just don't want to come away angry at what they have done to 'my' LOL musical ;)
My friend and I went to go see it and it was phenomenal!

I'll be honest- Anne is breathtaking. I had a love-hate relationship with the cinematography. Someone said Amanda Seyfried is 'trilly', and I agree. She doesn't have a lot of diaphragm, but I've never considered Cosette to be a particularly strong character anyway, so it doesn't bother me. Russel Crowe basically sings through cotton the whole time, which is upsetting because when you hear the parts where he's really on, you get mad knowing there's the potential. The Thenardiers weren't as bad as I'd heard, but they weren't quite 'big' enough for me, except for the last scene they're in. When I saw it on tour, my Thenardiers had enough energy to fill a room..I wanted Master of the House to be this big scene, and it wasn't. Did I mention how great Anne was? They also mix some songs around and don't include some lines, and I would go to lip-sync a line that wasn't there and would get mad. The last 10-15 minutes I was crying so hard I had tears coming out of my nose.

Granted, what I love most about it is the score. The moment those opening notes rang out I clutched my heart and died with joy..Also, Colm Wilkinson is the priest and every note he sang caressed my soul like warm chocolate.

Still haven't seen the movie, but I've heard great things. I cried when I saw it on Broadway, so I'm bringing tissues
Was wonderful and you will need tissues!!! Saw it with my daughter who just saw the play and read the book in French class this fall. Anne H was spectacular. Her mom played Fantine on Broadway!!! What a tribute.

kristenthegreat got it perfectly right with Anne. She was AMAZING!! The huge scene and song she had me bawling and the fact that she can sing, cry, and sing while crying was just jaw dropping. I can't describe how good she was! I had no clue that was Hugh Jackman at all, but he was phenomenal!! From the start to the end, that part was perfectly cast. I didn't like Russell Crowe either... There was just something about the voice I hated and couldn't get over. Eddie Redmayne played Marius.... Oh god he was so so good. And hot.

I don't think Samantha Banks got enough credit for her part either. It was smaller, but her songs were perfection and I think she was just so so good. I just loved it. The whole movie was amazing. Beware of tears, they will stream down your face at the end.

I'll be honest- Anne is breathtaking. I had a love-hate relationship with the cinematography. Someone said Amanda Seyfried is 'trilly', and I agree. She doesn't have a lot of diaphragm, but I've never considered Cosette to be a particularly strong character anyway, so it doesn't bother me. Russel Crowe basically sings through cotton the whole time, which is upsetting because when you hear the parts where he's really on, you get mad knowing there's the potential. The Thenardiers weren't as bad as I'd heard, but they weren't quite 'big' enough for me, except for the last scene they're in. When I saw it on tour, my Thenardiers had enough energy to fill a room..I wanted Master of the House to be this big scene, and it wasn't. Did I mention how great Anne was? They also mix some songs around and don't include some lines, and I would go to lip-sync a line that wasn't there and would get mad. The last 10-15 minutes I was crying so hard I had tears coming out of my nose.

Granted, what I love most about it is the score. The moment those opening notes rang out I clutched my heart and died with joy..Also, Colm Wilkinson is the priest and every note he sang caressed my soul like warm chocolate.
Good summary and agree with everything...but no mention of Hugh - OMG I thought he was awesome!!!

I enjoyed Hugh..I did think at times the camera did him a disservice- he's a broadway/musical theater guy originally and he's wonderful.
wonderful in the The Boy from Oz. The film's tight close ups were probably the biggest challenge for me with the film - at times felt like I was invading the character's personal space.

wonderful in the The Boy from Oz. The film's tight close ups were probably the biggest challenge for me with the film - at times felt like I was invading the character's personal space.
Yea like the snot you could see in their noses?
Sorry it's true. I could have gone without seeing that.

I have never seen Les Mis on Broadway, so my opinions probably aren't that important. I actually thought Amanda Seyfried was amazing. There was something about her voice that made me just want to keep hearing it. So light and had such a pretty vibrato to it. I think it fit the character well. And there was still something about Russell Crowe that did it for me. Hearing him sing made him even sexier to me. I know the high school girls on here won't get it, but I hope some of you moms are feelin me! haha

No need... just shimmy. Like in the old days when the Christians would secretly meet and use their feet to make the fish sign in the dirt so they would confirm their Christianity with eachother...

When we run into eachother, let's just do a baby shimmy... so WE'LL know we're from the Fierceboards but nobody else will be able to tell.

Like This: :shimmy:

Oh, my. I can't wait for NCA Dallas. Just walk around and baby shimmy and see if I get one back. I think for me, anyway, that will be the most likely spot I see other Fierceboarders. Although, we will be seeing TG and Brandon next weekend, but not TG's 5 from the schedule. Boo.

My CP is youth aged. Just wanted to see TG 5 in person.

Back