Level 2 Tumbling?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 5, 2013
What are level 2 tumbling skills other than backwalkovers and back handsprings that I could work on with my intermediate class? They are bored with working on the same two things but I don't want them to work on things that are too easy, like handstand rolls and stuff.

What are level 2 tumbling skills other than backwalkovers and back handsprings that I could work on with my intermediate class? They are bored with working on the same two things but I don't want them to work on things that are too easy, like handstand rolls and stuff.
What about back roll extension to BHS? Are you all also doing round off BHS?

@tumbleyoda ideas?

Curiosity here. Are you unfamiliar with usasf level guidelines and skill progressions or are you looking more for specialty pass ideas over individual skill?

Cheer Dad = broke dad

True front handsprings/flysprings or bounders. Or you can teach front handspring step out, front handspring (level 6 gymnastics tumbling pass).

It's more than just a fast front walk-over, they need to have a clear visible pop through their shoulders to show that their hands are off the ground before their feet hit (think of it like the difference between a cartwheel and a round-off).

You can also try backhandspring step outs so they can add skills after the backshandspring (round-offs, front walkovers, or front handspring).

For our level 2's as a fun drill station, we introduce HIGH dive rolls that start to miss their hands so they are working progressions to front tucks. If you have a spring board or a couple 8-inch mats, stack them up and have them run and dive roll up on to it.

I noticed that you asked this question about Level 1 as well... Are you teaching in a cheer gym setting or is it a recreational type class? If it's a cheer tumbling class geared towards cheerleaders, BWOs should be taught in level 1 as they are a level 1 skill. BHS, BWO BHS, FHS, RO BHS are all level 2 skills.

It's a recreational class. They don't compete or anything just perform at recitals. Most of them have around level 2 skills, which is why I was looking for some ideas. :)

It's a recreational class. They don't compete or anything just perform at recitals. Most of them have around level 2 skills, which is why I was looking for some ideas. :)
Gotcha! Tick tocks (handstand, bridge, kick over) may be another fun option.

maybe teach specialty passes like FWO step out ROBHS?

pittsburgh poison is comin through your area, causin mass hysteria!

Pretty sure its illegal but Onodis are super fun; and the drills for them are great to help with other tumbling skills. Other than that, what about some tumbling passings that go back and forth. For example, FW FH ROHS HS HS-step out front aeriel/or/FSP to ROHS HS? (It's easy once mastered but my take awhile to put all the pieces together.) Or standing hand hand hand-step out? Actually, come to think of it I'm pretty sure standing hands and aeriels are both illegal at level 2. :/ Could be wrong...it would look pretty cool though.

Pretty sure its illegal but Onodis are super fun; and the drills for them are great to help with other tumbling skills. Other than that, what about some tumbling passings that go back and forth. For example, FW FH ROHS HS HS-step out front aeriel/or/FSP to ROHS HS? (It's easy once mastered but my take awhile to put all the pieces together.) Or standing hand hand hand-step out? Actually, come to think of it I'm pretty sure standing hands and aeriels are both illegal at level 2. :/ Could be wrong...it would look pretty cool though.
any skill with hip-over-head rotation and no hand contact is illegal.

pittsburgh poison is comin through your area, causin mass hysteria!

Mix it up with combo skills. Front handspring step out round off back handspring series is something to work for. Any difficulty pass is awesome. Standing pass could be cartwheel back handspring step out back walk over back handspring.

Flysprings are also pretty amazing! My favorite L2 RT pass is flyspring step out round off bhs step out front walk over round off back handspring.

I would try expanding on the skills they already have by building different combination passes. For example, if they have a RO BHS, work on FHS step outs so they can then do the FHS RO BHS combo. Or work on RO BHS step-outs so they can then do RO BHS step-out into another RO BHS. The combinations will mix things up for them. Just try and progress from the skills they already have.

Late to the party - busy day yesterday: From my Level 2 curriculum:

FWO FHS
FHS Stepout (which is a much different look than a running fast FWO)
FHS Stepout FHS
Flyspring aka Bounder
FHS Stepout FHS Bounder
BWOBHS
B Extension Roll BHS
B Extension to HS 1/2 turn stepdown BWO BHS
BWO Switch Leg BHS
BHS Step out ROBHS Seriesx3
ROBHS jump 1/2 ROBHS series x 3
BHS rebound ROBHS stepout ROBHS series (Change of direction)
FWOBHS

Add in T jump to make things interesting. Another thing we do when we have a full floor for class is play add on. Each student goes and does a level appropriate skill. Next student adds on a new skill, and so on. Sometimes the students get quite creative and we need to look at making some routine changes. :)

Back