High School Male Flyers

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 24, 2011
I noticed that it is pretty common to see a male cheerleader fly in a basket toss at the NCA Nationals (Texas Tech, for example had a guy fly in a x-out full basket toss in the Nationals routine) but never at the UCA Nationals. How common are male cheerleaders who fly in baskets and stunts?

In all stars/NCA, not uncommon at all to see guys fly in baskets/pyramid. Especially in the open divisions of all star. More rare to see a guy flying an elite stunt, but does happen. I absolutely love to see guys fly, they often have much better technique in baskets than many girls.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I don't mind it for baskets, but other than that I prefer the guys to remain on the ground.

UCA has a much more old school/traditional style, so it's not surprising that you would never see it there.

I was told (not saying I believe it)
But I was told that in high school it gets you difficulty points to have a boy fly

I'm not sure the logic but curious if its true or not lol

Is it a tolerance issue that no one wants to see male flyers? If a male is the best option for the spot, why wouldn't he fly? just curious. Shouldn't Cheerleaders, of all people, be accepting of diversity?

If a male is the best option for the spot, then, yeah, I'd probably have him fly. I wouldn't like it, because I prefer the look of the guys on the ground, but I would do it. I've had guys fly in pyramids before because we needed their strength to mid level the pyramid we were trying to do.

I really, REALLY dislike when people make this a tolerance issue - like we're bigots if we prefer the look of guys on the ground.

A former teammate of mine has come out as trans. When she's finishes transitioning, I'd be fine with her flying. Until then, I'd prefer she stay on the ground.

Last edited:
If a male is the best option for the spot, then, yeah, I'd probably have him fly. I wouldn't like it, because I prefer the look of the guys on the ground, but I would do it. I've had guys fly in pyramids before because we needed their strength to mid level the pyramid we were trying to do.

I really, REALLY dislike when people make this a tolerance issue - like we're bigots if we prefer the look of guys on the ground.

I was simply asking. I'm a big fan of putting the team in the best position to win. If that means a male flys, is point jumper, or whatever else, so be it.

For it to ever happen, is too often.

Often boys are the best tumblers on the team so it makes sense that they fly baskets too. Travis from Lindenwood did an Arabian 1 1/2 and pike open double for the past 5 years. He's also done 5 twisting baskets at stuntfest.

I never got how people could say "Girls deserve the right to partner stunt. If they can do it and do it well they should be allowed to" and then turn around and say "Boys should stay on the ground flying is for girls"

Last edited:

A former teammate of mine has come out as trans. When she's finished transitioning, I'd be fine with her flying. Until then, I'd prefer she stay on the ground.
But it is a tolerance issue... "that's how it's always been", "that's just how I prefer it", etc are all things people say about trans people in bathrooms, gays marrying, women voting, etc lol

Do you not like girls partner stunting?

But it is a tolerance issue... "that's how it's always been", "that's just how I prefer it", etc are all things people say about trans people in bathrooms, gays marrying, women voting, etc lol

Do you not like girls partner stunting?

They're not even the same thing. Whether we like to admit it or not, there is a huge aesthetic component to cheer. And boys pulling body positions is not a good aesthetic. Boys flying is not a civil rights issue.

I also prefer boys partner stunting to girls.

They're not even the same thing. Whether we like to admit it or not, there is a huge aesthetic component to cheer. And boys pulling body positions is not a good aesthetic.

I also prefer boys partner stunting to girls.

I agree that cheer is a performance sport and aesthetics are obviously important, which is why I'm a firm believer that if you have 1 boy flyer he better be the best on the team because he needs to be point, and if you have 2 they need to be mirrors, but I don't get how boys pulling body positions is a bad aesthetic?
In dance/acro etc boys do body positions and I think it's aesthetically fine, as long have have good lines.

I'm not saying you should put boy flyers on your team or anything, to each their own. I'm just saying that if a boy is the best flyer on a team but gets told he can't fly because he's a boy.... Thats discrimination. Cut and dry.
If a girl (Cheyenne) can do a rewind cupies but gets told she doesn't get to because she's a female its discrimination as well. You can say that in some sports gender roles are important so discrimination is justified (what people used to say about synchronized swimming until a few years ago or what ice dancers say about lifts), but it is still the definition of gender discrimination.

Back