All-Star Nca's Appropriate Choreography Reminder

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

:deadhorse:Needed to use this..

Seriously... for the most part we are talking about people under age 18 or those older representing a SCHOOL.. w/ that being said, I think everyone in this forum knows what is appropriate and what isn't.. one lil booty pop count and a shake of something, most-likely FINE... but when we are looking at 8 counts upon 8 counts of gyrating in uniforms that are so small that when they do who knows what can pop out, with a song that BLATANTLY suggests something, then it becomes inappropriate...

I don't think it takes a genuis to say something was inappropriate b/c most of the crowd there watching will most likely feel the same way and I am sure SOME of the parents and families of the team feel the same. As I said before we are talking about Minors or students representing schools, so I don't think NCA or anyone is at fault for making this clear, I feel like everyone is trying to push the envelope and it can be pushed entirely too far... there are fierce dances that don't need to look like all the girls/boys are missing are poles... there are GREAT uniforms w/o risking a wardrobe malfunction... there are great songs that you can use w/ clean versions and for all of the coaches/choreographers out there if you can't realize you are working w/ KIDS that are representaing an organization no matter what state your are from or area, you need to realize there is a line!

Actually, I don't think any of us were discussing kids representing a school.

This is going to sound awful, but just stick with me.

I feel like this issue blends well with another one (although not NEARLY as extreme), and the smartest thing anyone ever said about it was 'I can't describe it, but I know it when I see it.' I imagine many of you will get the connection (and I'm not going THAT extreme), but I feel like while there's a certain (rather large, considering we have teams like TG ;) ) gray area of what's acceptable, I feel like there are certain SET things we could at the very least mostly (if not entirely) agree on that are out of line. And it's in those moments where we're in a competition that we're suddenly uncomfortable that we know what probably isn't appropriate. Since we're in this culture, we have a higher tolerance than most. I wonder if it's anything like in Muslim cultures where the women are covered? Not full on head-to-toe, but at least the hijab..some people think it's horrendously conservative and oppressive (In complete contrast to us and our issue!), yet many women are totally cool with it, even happy to wear it. They're so used to it, it's not a big deal anymore.

Have you been watching All - American Muslims lol =)

7 out of 8 people didn't think 'freakin' was a substitute for a cuss word?

I have to be blunt and say that I find that incredibly hard to believe.

In a culture where non-obscene uses of the word "freak" are commonplace I can believe this... actually Victoria Justice's song "freak the freak out" came to mind. The slang usage may have originated as a direct replacement, but seems to be of much broader use now in some places. Though it seems to still be a very grey area with many people conidering any usage to carry an obscene connoation, it may be best to leave such things out unless you know your audiences will share your viewpoint.

In a culture where non-obscene uses of the word "freak" are commonplace I can believe this... actually Victoria Justice's song "freak the freak out" came to mind. The slang usage may have originated as a direct replacement, but seems to be of much broader use now in some places. Though it seems to still be a very grey area with many people conidering any usage to carry an obscene connoation, it may be best to leave such things out unless you know your audiences will share your viewpoint.

But anyone that has ever watched an R rated movie (Lethal Weapon or any Martin Scorcese movie) has to see that they use "freak" as a replacement.

It just boggles the mind.

ACEDAD said:
But anyone that has ever watched an R rated movie (Lethal Weapon or any Martin Scorcese movie) has to see that they use "freak" as a replacement.

It just boggles the mind.

Bill, I don't think the concept is mind boggling. I've seen lots of R rated movies and I know that 'freak' has stood in for the f word before. But that doesn't mean when Cali's VoiceOver came on that I ever associated the two.

And like I said, I never considered the potential till another program brought it to my attention. And then, I couldn't find a judge or peer that took offense. And for us to go back and challenge the team's music, we'd need an obvious majority to agree there was an issue.

Regardless, they took it out this season, which was the right thing to do considering several spectators were taking offense to it all this time.

Bill, I don't think the concept is mind boggling. I've seen lots of R rated movies and I know that 'freak' has stood in for the f word before. But that doesn't mean when Cali's VoiceOver came on that I ever associated the two.

And like I said, I never considered the potential till another program brought it to my attention. And then, I couldn't find a judge or peer that took offense. And for us to go back and challenge the team's music, we'd need an obvious majority to agree there was an issue.

Regardless, they took it out this season, which was the right thing to do considering several spectators were taking offense to it all this time.

I honestly don't have a problem with the voice over.

And if you and all the judges didn't have a problem, why would Varsity call and request it be removed?

I'm really tired of the contniued patronizing of the "society of the offended". No matter what is said or what is intended, we've ceded control to whomever can claim to be insulted.

And if you and all the judges didn't have a problem, why would Varsity call and request it be removed?

On the other thread, Justin indicated that he spoke with Tannaz and the change was in response to the thread and no one from Varsity called.

Guess I shouldn't believe everything I read on the internets.

Back