OT Nyc Help... Help Idp Get To Broadway!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic

Just-a-Mom

Best Overall Female Newbie
Cheer Parent
Jan 5, 2011
Nope! It's not a gofundme! (Or any "fund me") :D

OK Fierce boarders. I need help.

As many know, Idp is no longer doing Irish dance. She has gone full-time "regular" (studio) dance. She is on a competition team this year. (like ALDC except less psycho)

The director and studio owner (my boss and one of idp's teachers) is now in NYC, and she is in The Lion King on Broadway. She has worked out this amazing trip for the kids - Oct 10-12. They are going to have workshops with dancers, make-up artists, choreographers, and dance captains from various Broadway shows, and then they are going to the Lion King (and backstage).

I rsvp'ed yes. The trip is in 26 days. My sister has decided to make some pretty huge career changes (6 months earlier than planned) and can no longer financially help with the trip. (yes, lots of drama there... But the long and short of it is that she just plain can't help)

Here is the problem: I've already told the studio, the team, and Idp we would go. I've priced out train tickets, and that seems to be the cheapest way to go.

Now we need a place to stay! Obviously hotels near Broadway/times Square are outrageous. I've looked at airbnb, but I don't know enough about nyc to know where we will be safe (and how to navigate public transportation, distance from Broadway, etc). I'd even be willing to stay outside the city, if someone could tell me how to get into the city. (and back out, at the time of night a Broadway show would be over)

I can't share with any of the other moms - the only ones I know that are not going with whole families are staying places that even splitting the cost would be too much for me). I'm still trying to find someone to share with, but I can't just count on that.

New yorkers (or my well seasoned traveling friends) - any ideas on a cheap cheap cheap place to stay? We'd be there Thursday Oct 9, Friday Oct 10, and Saturday Oct 11. Back to Chicago on Oct 12. It's just me and Idp (who is now just dp, or bp I guess).

I don't even have a budget for this trip. So when I say cheap, I mean cheap. However much it costs I plan to put on my very low limit/high interest credit card, my paycheck, and borrowing.

("Then why are you even going J-a-M? Just tell them you can't go!" I may end up doing just that, but I told her we'd go, and I think this will be the opportunity of a lifetime for her. We are 99% sure we are moving this year, so there is an almost guaranteed chance that this is her only opportunity to go. Also, her whole team is going. My other friends think I'm crazy, but I know my Fierce Board friends will understand how important it is to go where the team goes!)

All thoughts, ideas, brainstorming, etc welcomed!

... and how funny that the reason we are not doing Irish dance is financial, and within weeks they hit us with the MOST EXPENSIVE TRIP EVER! :p:eek::confused::D

Look at the VRBO website, if u get an apartment you will save a ton of $ on food. there are many suburbs of NYC easy by train to get to. Any ? Pm me.

Look at hotels in NJ that have trains to grandcentral... try secacus nj. They heve a huge transist system and are directly across the river from mid town. It is a safe area and have lots of hotels close to train station.
Im not sure if we are going away that weeekend... If we are not maybe you could stay with me... I am 60 miles north of NYC and I could drop you at train station
I will get back to you!

I'm visiting NYC next year with my mum and we've booked in the YMCA. It is a hostel but it looks far better than any other hostel (and a lot of 'hotels') and it's cheap. There are a number on Manhattan island, we are staying at the Vanderbilt one. I'm also bringing a school trip to NYC next October-doing a similar thing as your daughter, I'm head of Performing Arts at my high school. We are staying at the YMCA on the West Side-that's what gave me the idea for my mums trip. It is basic but in a good way.

Hope this helps, and gave fun on the trip!

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Airbnb is a great site! You just need someone with NYC knowledge to help you figure it out. In my experience that's the one with the least expensive accomodation. VRBO can be good also.

Last time we went to NYC we were on a budget too. We stayed in Jersey City at the Holland Motor Lodge and took the Path train into the city every day. It's a great alternative!

Omg that sounds like a dream trip! What an amazing opportunity. My degree was in children's theater and stage management, so I completely understand what an opportunity it is. You have to go. I have a few suggestions.

First is if you want to stay for free about an hour away , you are welcome to crash with us. I can help you with transport most days ( or get you to buses and trains that go into the city. There is even transport from our little town, but it takes forever , so I would probably try to get you closer where you would only be a path ride away if possible.

Second, one of my best friends might have a room for you to rent at her place and it is in Brooklyn. She was a theater major with me in college and her home that she has with her hubby and three year old, always has a revolving band of artists actors etc staying there. She might have space.

Finally if you are leery of staying with internet friends, I would suggest east Rutherford nj. If there isn't a football game that weekend, you might be able to find something cheaper and transport via bus and train is practically every 20 minutes.

Look at the VRBO website, if u get an apartment you will save a ton of $ on food. there are many suburbs of NYC easy by train to get to. Any ? Pm me.

Agree with this. If you get an apartment you might spend a little bit more on the housing but you could cook for yourself which means you'd save on money that might actually lower the cost of the trip.

And I'm not sure how far away you're looking into staying but staying closer to the city or the surrounding boroughs might be a better idea. (Although I'm not really sure how it works for the Jersey areas.) If you go too far then you have to buy a metro card to take the subways PLUS the costs of the other train system to actually get to the subways. That could potentially add on unexpected expenses.

Back