All-Star Perfect Competition Curls (i.e. Cali Sm Sr, F5, Shooting Stars)

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

DJ

Dec 14, 2009
Some of the Mom's at our gym have been asking how these girls and their talented mothers pull off the perfect curls.. and getting them to last, while still not making them crunchy...

Can some Mom's from WCUP, TWISTERS, and CALI help?

Step by step would be awesome, so I can copya nd paste.

Thanks in advance everyone.

OK, for those that were asking, here's her method... as I have observed it.
  1. First and foremost, DO NOT wash the hair before curling. Apparently dirty hair curls much better than clean hair. So wash it like the day before, but not the day of.
  2. Use small sections of the hair and hold the rest up and away with a clip.
  3. Once you have the small section split out to be curled, use the damp washcloth and pinch the section of hair you are curling and draw your hand away, allowing the hair to get only slightly dampened by the washcloth. This allows it to dry instantly once it hits the curling iron, but not be too damp... as wet hair won't curl.
  4. Then spray the section with a good amount of hairspray. My wife uses Freeze It brand, but she has used others that work as well.
  5. I don't know what brand curling iron my wife uses, but I do know whatever brand should be a ceramic iron with a 1" barrel.
  6. Use the curling iron and start at the bottom, so that as you wrap the hair goes up the barrel, making sure all of the hair is against the barrel... then hold for a few and release turning your hand in a circular direction opposite of the direction you curled.
  7. Lastly, always make sure the curling iron is as clean as possible. Use hot water and an old credit card or your finger nail to scrape off the hairspray that gets caked on the curling iron.
That's what I've observed as best I can describe it. It takes about 15 - 20 minutes for her to curl a head... but when you're first starting it usually takes a lot longer. When she first started doing it I remember it taking an hour. LOL... Like I said... thank God she's good at it, because while I may be able to describe what she does, doing it is a whole other thing!!

this from @John Butler from top gun

I asked some girls and they said they used a curling wand. So I went out and bought one...but my curls didn't look perfect like theirs :( so theres obviously a techique to the way they do them and I wanna know!!

not to sound dumb, but what's the real difference between a curling iron, and a curling wand

Some of the Mom's at our gym have been asking how these girls and their talented mothers pull off the perfect curls.. and getting them to last, while still not making them crunchy...

Can some Mom's from WCUP, TWISTERS, and CALI help?

Step by step would be awesome, so I can copya nd paste.

Thanks in advance everyone.
we use these... http://www.curlformers.com/ it's the only way to get my cp's thick hair to stay curly all day. we put them into dry hair (using spray gel) the night before, and she sleeps on them overnight.

@NoOneSpecial does some fierce hair!

Thank you HeyimA. I love curling hair. That is CP down time before compete time.

Half up half down - put as little possible in the half up part.

Revlon Curling iron that has like 30 settings - I use 30 - key don't use to much hair.

I curl vertical. 3 - 6 curls per vertical section (depend on length of hair) - spray with Treseme' - curl inward (left side clockwise/right side counter clockwise - meet in middle) - release.

Spray hair when complete. I make tight curls because by the time of competition they relax a little.

Back