OT Questions For My Novel

• Thread starter Deleted member 41136
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Ok, I'm going to say what everyone else is thinking. Not a chance that a competent teachers tells 9th graders in a typical school to sit down and write a novel in a month. It can't effectively be done, unless s/he is giving busy work. I know how much pre- writing goes into a short story. I can only imagine the time necessary to teach it for a novel.

I second your bull-call and raise you a catfish.

Why do y'all think that this is bull?
For starters the assignment is more than some professional need to do.

If you are comfortable in doing so would you be willing to pm myself or another parent here what school you attend? MsTeal is also awesome at secrets.

**nothing brings out the Haterz and SM's better than day 1 of a bid comp. #jealousmuch**

Isn't this the same person as before? That wanted to "edit" things?

No school in the world assigns writing 45,000 word novels to 9th graders. No school system would approve it. You have until the end of the semester to complete it? Well, who's grading all these novels at the END OF THE SEMESTER?

Calling complete bull. You're a rec cheerleader who co-coaches a Mini team and takes tumble classes? Honey, you don't have time to READ a 45,000-word novel, much less write one.

Annnnd, FBI, go. Yall got this.

Yeah, I know. Pretty sure this is the same guy.
I thought that at first but I do not believe this to be the same person based on a pm I was involved in.

**nothing brings out the Haterz and SM's better than day 1 of a bid comp. #jealousmuch**

Honestly, 45 000/60 000 are huge. My master's thesis is shorter than that, and I vastly exceeded the required amount. It's hard to believe that 9th graders would get assignments like that. Writing takes a looooot of time (planning, writing, rewriting, proofreading, rewriting some more, etc). Besides, I can't imagine a teacher having the time to properly supervise the students' work (and if all this writing is unsupervised, then it's the most useless assignment ever...) and then read/grade everything. Even reading 45 000 words takes hours...

Honestly, 45 000/60 000 are huge. My master's thesis is shorter than that, and I vastly exceeded the required amount. It's hard to believe that 9th graders would get assignments like that. Writing takes a looooot of time (planning, writing, rewriting, proofreading, rewriting some more, etc). Besides, I can't imagine a teacher having the time to properly supervise the students' work (and if all this writing is unsupervised, then it's the most useless assignment ever...) and then read/grade everything. Even reading 45 000 words takes hours...
I think it's roughly equivalent to my dissertation...that took the better part of 18-24 months to write and defend.

Aside from the fact no English teacher has the kind of time to devote to teaching/grading writing in this capacity between state testing, and covering the actual literature required in the canon for that grade. This "assignment" never was credible to me. If they're writing a "novel" (in the 9th grade) they're not doing it because they're required to from a teacher.

are y'all worried she's going to write a tell-all expose' on CEA? i don't understand the worry and suggestion of binding contracts for interviewing people. if the girl wanted to write a juicy story, i'm sure she could dig in the archives of the boards a bit and find more than enough information worth writing about without interviewing a parent.

do i think a novel is actually a high school assignment? no. not at all. but i'm not really sure what all the fuss is about? unless she's that girl who wrote the tell-all about Illinois cheer and sold it on amazon.

are y'all worried she's going to write a tell-all expose' on CEA? i don't understand the worry and suggestion of binding contracts for interviewing people. if the girl wanted to write a juicy story, i'm sure she could dig in the archives of the boards a bit and find more than enough information worth writing about without interviewing a parent.

do i think a novel is actually a high school assignment? no. not at all. but i'm not really sure what all the fuss is about? unless she's that girl who wrote the tell-all about Illinois cheer and sold it on amazon.
As in the gym? Yikes.

Back